Maine women's comeback Falls short to Albany

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Maine women's comeback Falls short to Albany

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:42 pm

UMaine women's team makes a gallant comeback after trailing by as much as 13 points but falls short to Albany 64-60.

Score by quarters
Albany..22..35..55..64
Maine...14..26..47..60

Maine went on a 7-0 run to start the 4th quarter to make it 55-54 and that was the closest they could get for the remainder of the game.

Albany's 2-3 zone really bothered Maine and Maine gave up 36 points in the paint defensively and only scoring 16 themselves.

It was Albany's inside game beating Maine's outside 3 ball game.

Albany shot 50% from the floor on 26-52, Maine was 23-61 for 37.7%.

Maine was 10-26 from beyond the 3 point line for 38.5% while Albany was willing to settle for just 5 for 11 for 45.5%

Neither team got to the foul line much. Maine was only 4-8 for 50% and Albany was 6 for 9 for 66.7%.

Turnovers Maine 19 Albany 20
Assists 17 each team
Rebounds Maine 34 Albany 32

Veteran senior point guard Sigi Koizar had 25 points to lead Maine on 10 for 22 from the floor, and 5 for 9 for 3's along with leading the Bears with 7 rebounds and lead in assists with 4.

Brosseau was the only other Bear in double figures with 14 points as she hit 4 of 5 - 3 pointers.

Albany had 4 players in double figures. Hixon with 15, Carter 11, Forester 10 and Feduier had 10.

Maine held Tate to 8 points.

Maine had some things that really hurt them in a game that they could have easily won.
1. Used too many players 9 with double figure minutes
2. Took too many threes as they took 26 of their 61 field goal attempts as 3's for 42.6%
3. Maine's zone offense against Albany's 2-3 zone not real effective as they had to settle for 3's and only scored 16 points in the paint.
4. No screens to the ball for Sigi
5. Not getting to the foul line enough as they only had 8 attempts and Sigi did not shoot a foul shot.

Maine falls to 15-15 overall and 8-7 in conference play while Albany moves to 16-11 overall and 10-4 in conference play.

Maine and Albany split their conference games this season. Albany is the only team to beat UNH in conference play this year.

Too bad after such a good comeback, this was a winnable game

Maine finishes up their conference play a week from tomorrow, Sunday, February 26 hosting Binghamton @
bcbc55

Re: Maine women's comeback Falls short to Albany

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:12 pm

This was definitely a disappointing road loss against a solid Albany squad. Call me overly optimistic, but I actually take away more positives than negatives.

Positive #1: The Sigi of old is back. This is huge as Maine enters the tournament and is the epitome of peaking at the right time.

Positive #2: Maine held Tate, arguably the league MVP, to just 8 points and 3-11 shooting from the field (a far cry from her 19.2 PPG season average).

Positive #3: Maine demonstrated great resolve by nearly overcoming a 13-point deficit midway through the 3rd quarter. Many freshman-laden teams would simply have folded in such a situation on the road.

Disagree. Maine was struggling with its interior defense (easy looks inside and second chance points) and desparately needed the contributions of Jones and Johnson to shore up that part of its game.

2. Took too many threes as they took 26 of their 61 field goal attempts as 3's for 42.6%

But they shot 38.5%. If you have two players with a hot hand, Brosseau and Koizar in this case, surely you can't suggest that they not shoot as many threes for the sole purpose of following some blanket rule about the percentage of threes a team should take in a game.

3. Maine's zone offense against Albany's 2-3 zone not real effective as they had to settle for 3's and only scored 16 points in the paint.

But they shot 38.5% from 3-point range - seems pretty effective to me. Albany's zone occasionally gave Maine fits with respect to taking care of the ball, though I would argue that many of those were careless passes/turnovers that Maine needs to cut down on, especially at this point in the season.

That may be true, but whatever they did offensively, Sigi seemed to be able to get good looks at the hoop. I mean, she scored 25 points!

One last thought: looking ahead to the tournament, one thing's for certain and it's that nothing is for certain. UNH, while sporting a 13-1 record, absolutely looks vulnerable (8 of its 13 wins by single digits). I would not be surprised if a team like Stony Brook, the current #8 seed, knocked them off in the first round. Also, I could just as easily see Maine running the table as I could see them laying an egg in the first round (likely against Hartford or Binghamton). Bottom line, I expect the unpredictability that we saw in the conference regular season to carry over into the postseason, which will make for some compelling basketball in Portland in two weeks.
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:07 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:This was definitely a disappointing road loss against a solid Albany squad. Call me overly optimistic, but I actually take away more positives than negatives.

Positive #1: The Sigi of old is back. This is huge as Maine enters the tournament and is the epitome of peaking at the right time.

Positive #2: Maine held Tate, arguably the league MVP, to just 8 points and 3-11 shooting from the field (a far cry from her 19.2 PPG season average).

Positive #3: Maine demonstrated great resolve by nearly overcoming a 13-point deficit midway through the 3rd quarter. Many freshman-laden teams would simply have folded in such a situation on the road.

Disagree. Maine was struggling with its interior defense (easy looks inside and second chance points) and desparately needed the contributions of Jones and Johnson to shore up that part of its game.

But they shot 38.5%. If you have two players with a hot hand, Brosseau and Koizar in this case, surely you can't suggest that they not shoot as many threes for the sole purpose of following some blanket rule about the percentage of threes a team should take in a game.

But they shot 38.5% from 3-point range - seems pretty effective to me. Albany's zone occasionally gave Maine fits with respect to taking care of the ball, though I would argue that many of those were careless passes/turnovers that Maine needs to cut down on, especially at this point in the season.

That may be true, but whatever they did offensively, Sigi seemed to be able to get good looks at the hoop. I mean, she scored 25 points!

One last thought: looking ahead to the tournament, one thing's for certain and it's that nothing is for certain. UNH, while sporting a 13-1 record, absolutely looks vulnerable (8 of its 13 wins by single digits). I would not be surprised if a team like Stony Brook, the current #8 seed, knocked them off in the first round. Also, I could just as easily see Maine running the table as I could see them laying an egg in the first round (likely against Hartford or Binghamton). Bottom line, I expect the unpredictability that we saw in the conference regular season to carry over into the postseason, which will make for some compelling basketball in Portland in two weeks.

MaineBBFan99. Agree on everything that you posted above except using too many players and too many 3's.

1. Too many players.....based on just difference in opinions based on our basketball experiences

2. Too many 3 tries....based on Maine women's 3 point stats:
15 non-conference games %......29.4%
15 conference games %...........31.8%
30 total combined games %......30.6%

Teams that live by the 3 (shooting 3's over 40% of their FGA's) during the regular season many times may die by the three in the one and done, win or go home season because 'the ball seems to get bigger and the rim seems to get smaller"' called presssures of the moments.

An area that needs immediate attention and improvement. The Maine women's bigs Keleva, Sole, Careres and Wadling need to learn how to stop and shoot power layups using ball and head fakes and combinations of, instead if shooting running/moving floaters and d hook shots.

THEY RUSH THEIR SHOTS IN THE PAINT, bet they don't know the 3 second rule..... That if they get the ball before 3 seconds is called on them in the 3 second free trow lane area they do have more time to get the shot off?
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Mainebballer wrote:Could it have been possible that Albany is better than Maine this season?
Or, the home court was enough of an advantage to push Albany past Maine.

And, does anyone believe that college players don't know the 3-second rule?
Could those quick shots in the lane have been a product of trying to get an open look before Albany's zone defense collapsed on players receiving the ball in the paint ... which is what zones are designed to do?

As for Maine shooting too many three-pointers ... Zones traditionally leave openings on the perimeter for three-pointers.
Maine made 10 of 26, an exemplary 38.5 percent.
Maine made 13-of-36 2-point attempts, 36.1 percent.
Maybe Maine should have taken MORE 3's!

mbb99: Maine women post players do not power when they even have an open shot and when they miss they never get the ball right back to them because they are shooting the ball on the way up.....NO POWER LAYUP...basic skill should be using it by now this far int the season..

When the one and done season come watch what happens to UMaine women the ball will seem to get bigger and the rim will seem to get smaller, with the pressure of one and done. Plus Maine is not even shooting 32% from beyond the arc. 3's rebounds bounce farther away and starts the either teams fast break or gets you no offensive boards. Especially if the ball goes to one side or the other from the wing down to the baseline and your post man comes ball side looking for the pass and any shot taken from beyond the arc from the wing to the corner that usually goes to the other side of the rim taking the post player out of the picture completely. ALTHOUGH THERE IS A LITTLE TRICK THE POST PLAYER CAN DO TO GET THAT OFFENSIVE REBOUND....do you Or your buddy TAL1957 know what it is???????????????????

By the way did you know why Barron recruited international players. It was Doug Leischer, former Men's assistant who had the contacts overseas.....got them for Barron, so the original credit goes to Doug, who by the way should have been named as interuim head coach as Walsh was a late D-3 hire.
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm

bcbc55 wrote:By the way did you know why Barron recruited international players. It was Doug Leischer, former Men's assistant who had the contacts overseas.....got them for Barron, so the original credit goes to Doug, who by the way should have been named as interuim head coach as Walsh was a late D-3 hire.

No to all of this. Wrong.
zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:58 pm

zonid wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:By the way did you know why Barron recruited international players. It was Doug Leischer, former Men's assistant who had the contacts overseas.....got them for Barron, so the original credit goes to Doug, who by the way should have been named as interuim head coach as Walsh was a late D-3 hire.

Z, All of this was just 2 statements.

Prove me wrong and I will correct the post.

Statement 1:" got them for Barron",The them were who to contact to get recruits not the recruits themselves.

Statement 2: Why not name Doug as an interium coach?
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
zonid wrote:

Z, All of this was just 2 statements.

Prove me wrong and I will correct the post.

Statement 1:" got them for Barron",The them were who to contact to get recruits not the recruits themselves.

Statement 2: Why not name Doug as an interium coach?

Statement 2 is an opinion, not going there. Statement 1 is just plain factually wrong. It's obvious you know absolutely nothing yet are spouting off inaccuracies as fact. I hope you were more accountable during your coaching years otherwise your players got the short end of the stick.

Just because you seem to be incapable of researching anything on your own I'll help you out: Mike Flynn, Dan Bowmaker.
zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Z: Statement 2 agreed.

Statement 1. checked with my sources and it was a given fact that DOUG HAD CONTACTS ON INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS well before Barron even arrived at UMaine.

No need for the last sentence in your 1st paragraph about Statement 1. You know nothing about my relationships with my players over the years, but I will say that some might have got short changed as only one-third of my players went into coaching.
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 pm

zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 am

zonid wrote:http://www.mainecampus.com/2016/04/from-germany-to-the-usa-an-inside-look-at-ncaa-recruiting-of-foreign-players/
Z:

Z: Interesting article but it doesn't prove that Doug did not talk to Barron about the recruitment of international players FIRST and that is what my sources say got Barron really interested in international players.

Your saying that Doug's success in getting good international players was never discussed between Doug and Barron. This article does not indicate in any way that Doug was not the lst person to talk to Barron about international players.

Wasn't Doug recruiting successfully by getting good international players before and after Barron came to Maine. So Doug and Barron never discussed the recruitment international players? That is not what my sources say.

But I have to believe you because of this article? I'll take my sources information until they are proven wrong and if that happens I will gladly admit I got wrong information and make a written apology to you....but in the meantime "that's my story an I'm stickin to it".

P.S. Barron came to Maine one year ahead of Walsh so that would have made Barron's arrival in 2013-14 which would have been Doug's last year at Maine. THAT MEANS THEY MIGHT HAVE CROSSED PATHS THAT YEAR.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics