Drop Ice Hockey at UMaine!

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Drop Ice Hockey at UMaine!

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 am

"If ..." ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
TAL1957

Postby GOOSIE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:26 am

I thought they played very well against ND in Portland. Is it my imagination or lack of knowledge that leads me to conclude that high school refs allow considerably more aggressive contact than the college refs?
Attending this game sparked me to recall my limited hockey career and it involves 2 private schools, including Cheverus. one afternoon, as a 14 year old freshman at Cheverus my dad told me to get my gear and hop in the car. Before I knew what was happening, which at the time I probably didn't know about anything that was happening; I found myself on the first line at NYA. A couple of weeks later my dad told me that the NYA gig was no more. I never discovered what force intervened to bring this endeavor to an end.
GOOSIE

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Where is the precedent? Has a University ever dropped a major sport in which they held multiple national championships? I don't think such a thing has ever happened. This is the worst hot take of all hot takes. Good try Skip Bayless.

SAD!
nhsfan4life

Postby thebam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 pm

nhsfan4life wrote:Where is the precedent? Has a University ever dropped a major sport in which they held multiple national championships? I don't think such a thing has ever happened. This is the worst hot take of all hot takes. Good try Skip Bayless.

SAD!

What's sad is the fact that the program has sunk to a point that someone like Jeff could even make a joke about it... if he was joking? Something needs to change and change quickly.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm

thebam wrote:
nhsfan4life wrote:Where is the precedent? Has a University ever dropped a major sport in which they held multiple national championships? I don't think such a thing has ever happened. This is the worst hot take of all hot takes. Good try Skip Bayless.
SAD!

What's sad is the fact that the program has sunk to a point that someone like Jeff could even make a joke about it... if he was joking? Something needs to change and change quickly.
Yep, it's pretty sad where the program has sunk to since the tragic loss of arguably (or rather inarguably ?) one of the Greatest Coaches in college hockey history.
And no D1 school has dropped a major sport in which it had won national championships, at least not in recent history/memory (somebody else can research this if they want), nor is UMaine evah gonna do so.
YES, something needs to change, but the only thing that could change "quickly" is a coaching change, and I don't know that that's gonna change all that "quickly" at this point (maybe in 2 years, depending ...???). Changing the program status and success will obviously be a pretty long-term undertaking, IF it's even possible (it is, but ... ???).

And lastly:
mainejeff wrote: My use of hyperbole is well-documented so no need to get all ....
So yes, I guess he was "joking", although it came across more as a troll post intended solely to generate response to a non-sensicle post. Kinda like what a couple others do on here (e.g., pasta-man ?), but a bit out of character for mj, albeit understandable perhaps given current situation with UMaine athletics and his recognized passion thereof. He gets a pass on this one from me, IMOS(oh so)HO of course. ;) :) :D

So Now can we let this thread line die a peaceful and well-deserved death ? Plz. ? Pretty Plz. with ice cream on top ? There are other threads already well underway with the HC fricassee that should feed those with an insatiable appetite ? :o :shock:
TAL1957

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics