Bob Walsh

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 am

The Rabbit wrote:I think we might be arguing the same point, but I don't understand how you can say the players improved, realize the point that the players I listed did improve and acknowledge the stats and facts to back it up, but then you say the coaches didn't help them improve.

How can there be A without B?

Are you truly that biased against this coaching staff or the University of Maine in general that you can't see how the coaches made the players better? Or is this an old coaching trick where the Coach is always blamed for a loss and the players credited for the win (or their improvement in this case)?


TheRabbit: Players get the credit for the wins, the coaches get the blame for the losses that is just the way it goes in basketball coaching at the college or even the high school level.

If players do what the coaches want them to do and they lose its on the coaches, if the players don;t do what the coaches want and they lose it is till on the coaches.

I believe that thoroughly and that is what I always told my high school players, they get the wins and I get the losses. If they didn't do what I wanted them to do and we lost, MY BLAME, if they did what I wanted them too do and we lost, MY BLAME.

If coaches don't understand that then they shouldn't be in the business. They are well paid at the college level compared to high school coaches.

Players can improve on their own it happens today as much as it does with coaches making them better.

Best example at UMaine men was their lousy shooting percentages 40% from the floor, 30% from 3 point land and 65% from the line.

Howard, Eze and Bernstein would not have improved if they had not gotten the playing minutes that they got. They didn't start to improve until that happened.

What has the coaching staff got to do with injuries or suspensions, they just happened. It gave Eze, Berstein and Howard their chance and they made hay while the sun shined so the most of if not all of the credit for their improvement should go to them. The coaching staff had no choice but to give them the minutes as there was no one else let to give them too.

And if there had not been the injuries and the suspensions they would not have gotten the playing time to improve.

I am not biased against this coaching staff, I am just telling it like I see it along with many other UMaine fans that I talk with also believe the same thing.

I was just as hard on the PREVIOUS 10 YEAR REGIME, but you weren't around when that was happening were you.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
The Rabbit wrote: Are you truly that biased against this coaching staff or the University of Maine in general that you can't see how the coaches made the players better??
DING DING DING !!! WINNAH WINNAH !!!


TAL1957: DING DING DING !!! WINNAH WINNAH !!!
'That would be me if you took the "IRON SHOOTING CONTEST CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 pm

bcbc55 wrote: 'That would be me if you took the "IRON SHOOTING CONTEST CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And becuz you could make a bunch of Old Man free throws, maybe, that would mean what ? = Nuttin'.
Just stop repeating the same old same old same old stuff, over and over again. UMaine moved on a long time ago from where they were in the 50's, 60's, 70's, .... geeez, decades !!! ago !, and you need to do the same ....
Last edited by TAL1957 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4828
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 pm

TAL1957: DING DING DING !!! WINNAH WINNAH !!!
'That would be me if you took the "IRON SHOOTING CONTEST CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote] And becuz you could make a bunch of Old Man free throws, maybe, that would mean what ? = Nuttin'.
Personal satisfaction and glorification, that for whatever reason you can't get otherwise ?
Bob, you should be really, really, really happy in what you have already accomplished in Maine HS sports. But Now it is Time to also accept that it is what it is (= was).

Just stop repeating the same old same old same old stuff, over and over again. UMaine moved on a long time ago from where they were in the 50's, 60's, 70's, .... geeez, decades !!! ago !, and you need to do the same and just "chat" here for fun.[/quote]

TAL1957: UMaine haven't moved out of the 50's, 60's or 70's in men's basketball and in fact they are in the worse 3 years since the 70's.

If the people who attack people personally because they just don't agree with a poster's post things would be a lot better here on the University of Maine D-1 thread.

The MBR high school boys and girls threads are much more positive in the post interactions.

I have been on MBR ever since it's inception and I have always tried to just agree to disagree and that is the way TOM@mbr.org would like to have it.

However. like President Trump if I am personally attacked than I will hit back if I feel it is necessary.

We would have many more posts on this thread if there were no personal negative attacks as shown by the number of reads vs. number of posts shows that many readers but few posters as many do not want to be assualted for their posts.

Too bad, but a good example of this was when new poster basketball__guy started posting a week or two ago and has been attacked very personally is exactly what I am positing about in this post.

I thought his posts were interesting, thought provoking, informative and brought out good discussion except for his being attacked so badly for his ideas. He did not attack posters responding to his posts until they started attacking him negatively and personally first.

People don't want to be attacked personal on a negative basis even though they are using a user name (Not referring to you TAL as you have posted your real name) as has basketball__guy also) and especially when the negative attacks are coming from people hiding behind a user name.

I say let's start something new and just agree to disagree positively instead of what has just gotten worse and worse on this UMaine thread over the years.

By the way the shooting challenge Iron Contest that you chose not accept, was not free throws it was a 3 point Iron shooting contest from the college 3 point line with the loser having to stay off this UMaine D-1 thread for an agreed period of time a minimum of 3 months.

However, I would have fun chatting on posting on here if people were not negatively personally attacked for their posts.

I can live with being attacked, have been all my basketball life as I know how unorthodox a basketball thinker that I am.

But new posters shouldn't have to put up with that just because some people here on the UMaine thread just don't agree with them.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I think you should expound, or just "pound" ?, on this a bit more Bobby. The post above is a bit to brief. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4828
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm

TAL1957 wrote:I think you should expound, or just "pound" ?, on this a bit more Bobby. The post above is a bit to brief. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


TAL: Nothing else to do today, to cold to go outside. So I get my exercise by using my fingers to pound on the keyboard.

Remember I'm an old Husson Grad? Learned how to type at 60 words a minute, oops I mean learned how to keyboard.

Trivia Question? You can tell a Husson person, but you can't tell them much?

Do you know why TAL1957.

Wow, I cannot remember the last time anybody referred to me as "Bobby"?

That just makes me feel younger. Thanks TAL.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 am

The Rabbit wrote:No I wasn't here for the full tenure of the previous coaching staff, got here at the tail end of it.

I still haven't figured out why you hate the coaches so bad though. Is it jealousy? Did you apply for the job and get snubbed at some point? Did they hire Ted Woodward or Bob Walsh instead of you? Other than coaching at a low level of high school in Maine have you ever been a head or assistant coach on the college level? I'm just wondering where this hatred and jealousy comes from.

I can understand when a fan or alum busts on the coach or players or university because they want the Bears to do well. I can't figure out why someone who was a coach takes shots at another coach.


The Rabbit: First off I am no longer a coach, I am just a basketball writer who is a UMaine men's basketball fan and have been since the early 50's. I don't hate the coaches at UMaine, I just think that they're not doing any where near a decent job for the money they are getting. Because this staff was given a chance they did really not deserve and has not used it successfully when UMaine had an assistant associate head coach coach for 9 years who deserved a chance and was not given one because of his connection to the regime he was under. He should have been given an opportunity at least as an interim coach.

I wrote in my "Off the Rim" basketball column in the Bangor Daily News when the job was open 3 years ago this spring suggesting and recommending to the AD to hire Doug Leicher as at least an interim head coach.

The Maine men's Coaching staff got jobs by default because the hire was so late and the AD has paid the price along with the UMaine players and fans. Had the coaching staff been successful then that would have been different........but..................!

Also, the staff has only gotten 1 Mainer in 3 years at Maine and they would have gotten a Maine HS player who is doing really well at another D-1 college in one of the best basketball states in the country if UMaine had handled that recruitment correctly.

Plus, Maine has no international connection because Leichner was that connection.

I am also speaking out for many of the very few UMaine men's basketball fans that are actually left . You wonder why they only drawing literally just a couple of hundred actual fans in the seats for home games? Because the ones I talk to feel the same way I do and that includes some former UMaine players, who also thought that Doug Leichner deserved a chance even it was just as an interim coach.

Also, a former Maine high school player and a former UMaine player, and Notre Dame transfer to UMaine to play was a D-1 assistant at a very successful America East School who applied and did not even get an on campus interview. If he had been hired then Doug Leichner would have been his associate head coach as they are good coaching friends.

It was just another great example of people coming in for jobs at UMaine who hire out of state AD's who hire out-of-state coaches who recruit mostly out of state players.

So if you want to call my reasons hate then go right ahead but if you still feel that way after reading this then you have no clue about UMaine basketball if you think that this current staff was a great hire.

This coaching staff is way over it's head, and it is not because of their overall height, it's their overall won lost record, it is because they don't really know what they are doing as the record speaks for itself.

Therefore, I will not be wasting any more of what little time I have left on this earth by responding to any of your posts as you just don't seem to get it and then want to attack did me with your little snide remarks and barbs.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby waltwhite » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Hire markwood. Guy is legit. And a dreamboat. This Walsh thing is a disaster
waltwhite
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:17 pm

waltwhite wrote:Hire markwood. Guy is legit. And a dreamboat. This Walsh thing is a disaster


WW: BEST POST OF THE DAY , I AGREE AND WE COULD POSSIBLY GET DOUG LEICHNER BACK AS HIS ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby aechamps » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Doug is not the answer.........
aechamps
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: turkeyman and 73 guests