Bob Walsh

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby imposter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 am

Vann, Eke, Little, Calixte, Fleming, Myers, Er, Evans, Eze, Harwood, Majstorovic
imposter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby fromthebench » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

This starts in AAU. As crappy as Maine is, the top players (as young as middle school) are routinely being recruited by rival teams. Out of state it's epidemic. Kids get used to being fawned over. The "intermediaries" they mention in the article are AAU coaches. An AAU coach who can pry kids away from smaller programs can move up the ladder. Maybe get an assistant coaching gig. This trend is all about adults using kids for their own interests.
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby fromthebench » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am

Of course, this makes me wonder about our own Mr Mayo at EKU. I would think there would be tons of interest from Majors trying to pry him away. However, he didn't play for a big AAU program so any "Intermediary" approaching him would be a total stranger. Either way, it wouldn't be a shocker. The lesson for Walsh at Maine is hire your players AAU coaches (or brothers or Dad's) as assistants or recruit Maine kids with potential and redshirt and develop them. They are the only ones that will stay long enough to reach their potential. To an out of state kid, we are "Maine Prep!"
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby Carl Parker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

It would be a big mistake for Mayo to transfer. He is at a school that appreciates his talent, is a go to guy,and is already on the radar of NBA teams. He goes someplace else, has to sit a year and people will start looking for things he cannot do. Mayo made a great decision.
Carl Parker
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm

imposter wrote:Vann, Eke, Little, Calixte, Fleming, Myers, Er, Evans, Eze, Harwood, Majstorovic


imposter: If the 4 scholarship players transferring out a year ago did not transfer who would have Maine not recruited last year?

Only had 2 seniors graduate and they only have 13 scholarships.

Er, Howard, McKennon the 3 JUCO's, 2 freshmen Evans and Fleming, the LaSalle transfer Majstorovic?????????????????????
Other scholarship players retuning for this past season were:
Seniors: Pirovic, Reid-Knight and Beal
Juniors: Calixe and Transfer Myers
Sophomores: Ilija S.
Red Shirt Freshmen: Eze

So 7 plus the four transfers makes it 11 players with sholarships so you only have the 2 senior graduating (Gloger and Lawton) scholarships available.

I would say Howard, McKennon, Majstorovic, and Evans wold not have been scholarshipped or recruited and the 2 that would have been were Er and Fleming.

What do you say who would not have been recruited or scholarshipped??????????????????????????????????????????????
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 pm

fromthebench wrote:Of course, this makes me wonder about our own Mr Mayo at EKU. I would think there would be tons of interest from Majors trying to pry him away. However, he didn't play for a big AAU program so any "Intermediary" approaching him would be a total stranger. Either way, it wouldn't be a shocker. The lesson for Walsh at Maine is hire your players AAU coaches (or brothers or Dad's) as assistants or recruit Maine kids with potential and redshirt and develop them. They are the only ones that will stay long enough to reach their potential. To an out of state kid, we are "Maine Prep!"


fromthebench:

I agree with your 2 posts above completely on all the points you made.

But a Serious question and I am not being a wise guy. But, can you name or list the players that are currently on the roster that the current UMaine men's staff have really and truly have developed since they came to Maine in the past 3 years who were red shirted.

The only 2 that I can think of that were actually red shirted that came in as freshmen were Eze and he did not project academically and Ashley a walkon who was from Bridgton Academy here in Maine.

Do you think the current staff has shown that they can develop players?

Look at their shooting skills as a team overall. Around 30% from 3 point land, around 40% from the floor and 65% from the line.

Certainly have not developed improved shooting skills for the players that they have had during the past 3 years.

Have not developed any Post players that are really or were big offensive back to the basket threats. No inside game that amounts to anything.

The players that have been good players were good players when they got here that they have recruited are Vann, Little, Harewood, Er, Myers, Evans and Fleming.

How much did Eke improve over a full year?????????????

How much has Eze improved even with a red shirt year?

To me the proof is in the pudding!

What do you think fromthebench as I respect your basketball opinions, as your posts and post responses are intelligent, enlightening and interesting and informative and I enjoy them as you just your posts without all the other baloney that is posted on here by many of the insulting posters.

I can tell by your posts that you know your basketball.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

The Rabbit wrote:OK BcBc55.

I know you are going to disagree (probably vehemently) with this statement, but did you attend any UMaine men's games this year?

Granted I didn't go to a lot of games, but I went sporadically through the season and I thought one of the most improved players on the team was Vince Eze. If you watched him play live, and were able to see what he did off the ball you would probably agree. If you only watched the games online where the camera is generally focused on the ball you missed the work Eze did in the post.

The first game I saw was against CCSU in late November. The last game I saw in person was the Albany game which was the final home game of the season. Eze's positioning, ability to seal off a defender and create his own space on the offensive end was much better from November to March. He would regularly get position, be asking for the ball on the block, and Austin Howard would shoot. Then Eze worked to get rebounding position. He ran the floor and was rarely rewarded with touches. But guess what he never stopped working. Yes, Eze is still raw and a work in progress, but he improved greatly this season. Since he didn't play last year it is impossible for me to know (since I don't go to practices) if he improved at all in his red shirt year, but he really improved during this season.

Boz Bernstein improved through the year as well. I don't believe he should be a 35-40 minute a game point guard but he became a "serviceable" point guard as the year went along. In a perfect world he is a backup getting 12-15 minutes a game. 93 assists, 33 turnovers, he protected the ball and ran the offense. Who saw that coming when he first came to campus?

In the game against CCSU, I left thinking Austin Howard would not amount to much, he played 14 minutes and was 2 of 5 from the floor. (I had to check the box score to get his numbers) I remember him as a deep bench player who would only get spot minutes. Granted there were injuries and suspensions, but flash forward to Albany game in the end of March and he was the team's leading scorer, added a couple of rebounds and 3 assists. Go look at his early games -
3/8 against Virginia Tech
1/5 against Longwood
2/4 against BU
0/0 (4 mins) against Northeastern
1/3 against LIU Brooklyn
2/5 against CCSU
0/3 against Duke
2/8 against Holy Cross
8/11 (23 points) against Dartmouth
0/2 against Quinnipiac
3/5 against Providence
5/8 against Brown
6/16 (18 points) against Buffalo
3/6 against Columbia

Maybe I just pegged him wrong based on those first 8 non conference games, but I would contend he improved and he also took advantage of his opportunities presented to him.

And then you harp on why did Myers get a longer suspension? Should a person in a court of law facing Assault charges get a stiffer penalty than the person who was caught for Jaywalking? Telling a trainer a story to cover for your teammate is a lesser crime than sucker punching a teammate in a locker room brawl over music.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Do you have as much basketball history as you claim? Maybe I need to do some research of you since I wasn't in Maine in 1960 whatever you keep bringing up.


hippety hop: I watched all of the games that were streamed on line and the quality of the video on the online streamed games was a lot better than the 16 millimeter film and videos I watched of my teams games from 1969 to 2000. Picture was clearer and wider. So having watched enough game films and videos of my teams and scouting our opponents on swapped videos and films for over 20 years I think that I can evaluate anything to do with the game from on line streamed games.

Now for the improvement of players.

Overall look at their shooting percentages as a team. 40% from the floor, 30% for 3's and 65% from the line.

My high school teams shot better percentages than those. NO IMPROVEMENT THERE.

Eze did get better and he should have, but after a year of red shirting the fundamentals that he improved on were more done by him as if things were done properly in developing him most of the things he improved in should have been accomplished in the red shirt year.

He got better as he got more minutes because of all the team injuries and the "BREAK" problem.

Howard had played two years of JUCO so he was no better at the end of the season then he was in the beginning. He got better because he got more minutes because of the same reasons Eze got better....PLAYING TIME.

D-2 or D-3 talent Bernstein improved but that was because of all the minutes he got because of all the factors that allowed him to get all those minutes. Injuries and the suspensions just like EZE an HOWARD did, they got better because they PLAYED MORE.

President Nixon left office not because of the "BREAK" in but because he tried to cover it up. The coverup is always more damaging than what is being covered up, so the Pirovic "BREAK" was like the Watergate "BREAK'" so what is good enough for a President to have to leave office is good enough for the coverupees IN THE MAINE "BREAK' to be suspended as long as Myers was.

Well as far as history goes I have been watching UMaine mens basketball since I was 10 years old in 1947. In the spring of 1957 I was even asked if I was interested in transferring to D-1 UMaine from a local college, Husson College after my sophomore year playing there and when I went to UMaine after graduating from Husson in 1959 because I had a year of eligibility left, I was asked again by UMaine if I was interested in playing that year 1959-60 I was at UMaine.

So I have a pretty goo idea about the history of UMaine basketball
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm

The Rabbit wrote:So basically you just agree that 3 players all improved.

Thanks.

I rest my case your honor.


(oh and what was that about you not calling anyone names? Seems like you've done that to me in every directed post to me, and I've never called you a name. Perhaps questioned the validity of your opinion, but never mocked, made fun of you, or called you a name, and I won't do so.)


Skippy the Rabbit: I am not calling you names, I used to have to take care of 500 rabbits growing up that my father raised to sell at Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I have a fondness for rabbits so the so called name calling was a gesture of compassion and love of rabbits.

Even caught a rabbit once well after the other rabbits were gone, and it was an escapee and not wild as I thought as dogs were chasing it under my parents house. So I got it out, put it in cage and then we brought it up stairs from the cellar and the rabbit was potty trained to newspapers.

So we put an ad in the paper, but no one responded.

So my wife and I kept the rabbit as a pet and we named him SKIPPY and we always visited my parents everyday as we lived just a half mile away and we would bring Skippy upstairs and he would hop all around the house sticking his little wiggely nose into everything. We kept him for 2 years and then when we moved out of town we had to give him up so we took him to a rabbit farm were they raised rabbits and when our male rabbit saw us good bye he had a big smile on his face because he was extremely happy that he was going to be a big brown stud rabbit. So I love rabbits and my so call name calling was done in a friendly and caring manner. Your user name brought back some great rabbit memories not of the 500 but of the one special one called SKIPPY.

Now on to somethings of less importance.

Yes all three improved, but not because of any great coaching, but improved on their own with the skills that they had when they got at Maine because they got minutes that they would not have gotten if the injuries and suspensions.

You can't get better sitting on the bench you get better being on thee floor.

If you do not to ilike my posts to you with nicknames for "The rabbit" just tell me and I will just use 'THE RABBIT'

Sorry if I offended you, all done in good fun and a caring introduction.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 am

Maine Basketball‏ @BlackBearMBB
Listen to @CoachBobWalsh on the newest episode of The Maine Show with @bensprague

http://bit.ly/2n4dM5Q

#AEHoops #MaineUp
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 71283
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 am

The Rabbit wrote: Are you truly that biased against this coaching staff or the University of Maine in general that you can't see how the coaches made the players better??
DING DING DING !!! WINNAH WINNAH !!!
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4824
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: turkeyman and 36 guests