Bob Walsh

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Bob Walsh

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Does anyone on here think Bob Walsh will continue his coaching tenure at UMaine beyond the 2017-18 season?
In my opinion, I believe Karlton Creech will not extend his contract.
There have been transfers and injuries up the wahzoo and I am not seeing any improvement in the quality of product they put on the floor. I have followed this program closely over the last 30 years and this current state is one of the lowest I've seen. I think Coach Walsh is more committed than Woodward was,but his methods and good intentions have not panned out. I was hopeful a year ago when we saw the raw talent that the staff compiled. Coach Walsh couldn't win with it or keep the talent around long enough to develop it. Now the program is left with 6 healthy scholarship players:
Myers
Pirovic
Howard
McKennon
Evans
Eze
4 Healthy Walk ons:
Bernstein
Ashley
Melmed
Ward
6 Injured players:
Calixte
Fleming
Er
Stojilikovic
TRK
Beal
The injuries speak loudly. Don't know if it's overwork, poor physical training/conditioning, reckless practice methods, but something is rotten in Denmark??
The decision to let your team captain Calixte play on a broken bone in his foot....this doesn't seem like a wise move. He should've redshirted and had surgery in my opinion.
Thoughts??
Blind Zebra

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby mainejeff » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:29 pm

He seems extremely confident in his incompetence. Last season did not need to go down the way that it did....that pretty much sealed his fate.
mainejeff

Postby Pirates79 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Get the jelly out. He's toast.
Pirates79

Bob Walsh

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 am

What kind of leash does he have? Team is awful, and they are showing no signs of improvement. I have enjoyed his persona, but the results don't lie.

-the dude
thedude

Postby Hookem4 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:25 am

I am curious as well. I have no inside information, however, I once spoke with someone on his hiring committee and they told me they expected the turn-around to take "three years or so." Well, this is his third year.

I would not anticipate this being his final act at UMaine. I think he gets along well with Karlton Creech and there have been SOME positives (recruiting Issaac Vann, Wes Meyers, Calixte, etc) as well as some of the transparency he has brought to the program (radio appearances, twitter, etc).

But, as the old saying goes... "ball don't lie" .... 17 wins in three years as head coach and two losses to Division III teams. :oops:

If next year is just as lousy (5-10 reg. season wins, tons of 20+ point losses in conference) then I would say he's on the hot, hot, hot seat.
Hookem4

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 pm

It's the huge losses that bother me. Games that I watch (loving the ESPN3 setup) and expect them to be competitive in, and they just aren't. I honestly believe he is a savvy guy. I want him to figure out the formula. Don't know if it will happen in time.
thedude

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Questions.

1. Why was he given a 4 year contract and if he is let go after this season then they have to pay him for the fourth year?

2. Why does he use 9 or 10 players "Intramural style" when they played their best ball in the conference when they were forced to use just 6 or 7 players because of injuries?

3.Why has he never had an effective inside game at all in 2 plus seasons?

4th Why does he seem to recruit guards over size?

5. Where there any other reasons for the transfers of Vann, Little, Eke and Harewood last spring besides wanting to move up?

6. Why after the Duke game when Er scored 20 points in the first half and Myers scored 15 points which was 35 of the 55 points scored they both didn't start the very next game(s)?

7. Why no set offense besides dribble drive and a few screens to the ball and ocassionly a half-baked version of flex?

8. Why haven't they improved their shooting percentages especially in the conference where the schedule is easier in the non-conference games shooting 40.2% from the floor, 26.4% for 3's and 68% from the line, including last nights bombing by UML 100-68?

9. Why does he let the players decide the shot selection of who and when shots are taking?

10. Where is the defense????????????????????????????????????

Comments: Great theorist, evaluater of reasons they lost, but where is the practically to back up the theories and the improvement of the game of his game evaluations.

Doing same things over and over again expecting different results is the definition of basketball _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ........you fill in the blank letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could easily play 20 questions but getting half way there is more than enough.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Coach Walsh has 1 year left after this season on his initial contract. I don't like making excuses for losing, but looking at this objectively, he lost 4 difference makers who transferred out of the program (Harewood, Little, Eke, Vann). Lost his starting point guard early in the season and lost a solid America East starter in Er before the conference slate.
Walsh has only 3 legit D1 players on this year's team (Fleming, Myers and Eze). He has only 1 recruit signed for next year. I don't know how Walsh can turn this losing around in 1 season. The roster is devoid of talent and unless there is more unexpected roster turnover, there are not many open scholarships available. Garet Beal and Troy Reid- Knight could return as 5th Year redshirt seniors or they could graduate and move on. Who knows what happens there? Calixte could petition the NCAA for a redshirt as he only appeared in 5 games. He could return with 2 years left and provide some leadership and experience to the point guard position? A lot of things need to play out during the off season to see what the future picture looks like, but it's not getting fixed in a year. Not sure where that leaves Walsh? I have a feeling Creech has some faith in him and may give him a 2 year extension? Not sure why? That is a hunch I have. In my opinion, the transfers set this program back another 2 years at least. Walsh handed out some late scholarships to some kids that were borderline prospects. Roster spots were filled but they now have a roster consisting of walk-ons, JC transfers and inexperienced players. The staff needs to hit a home run recruiting and try to rebuild.
Blind Zebra

Postby Hookem4 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:17 pm

@ bcbc

I will defend Coach Walsh on two of your points:

1) Devine Eke, Andrew Fleming, Vincent Eze.... all big guys that Walsh recruited. The 6'8 guys who can REALLY play don't go to schools like Maine. So he gets Eze (big, strong, low-skill) or Fleming (Maine-born).

2) Meyers and Er not being in the starting lineup could be due to a TON of reasons... you think Walsh just prefers to sit his best players for zero reason? Give the man some credit. I imagine there were academic or behavioral reasons behind them not starting.

I do wonder if he is too corporal/demanding/fierce for the new age of players. Do players today respond well to his brutal honesty and "my way or the highway" mentality? Also - so many injuries... do they practice too long/hard? Just questions I would have.
Hookem4

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Hookem4 wrote:@ bcbc

I will defend Coach Walsh on two of your points:

1) Devine Eke, Andrew Fleming, Vincent Eze.... all big guys that Walsh recruited. The 6'8 guys who can REALLY play don't go to schools like Maine. So he gets Eze (big, strong, low-skill) or Fleming (Maine-born).

2) Meyers and Er not being in the starting lineup could be due to a TON of reasons... you think Walsh just prefers to sit his best players for zero reason? Give the man some credit. I imagine there were academic or behavioral reasons behind them not starting.

I do wonder if he is too corporal/demanding/fierce for the new age of players. Do players today respond well to his brutal honesty and "my way or the highway" mentality? Also - so many injuries... do they practice too long/hard? Just questions I would have.

Hookem4: Good point and excellent questions.

1, Answer to your question 1. When Til Gloger at 6'9" and an above average post man offensively he only averaged 8.9 shot attempts per game and did not average close to 30 minutes per game and got few inside touches when he was on the court.

Fleming is not big enough to be legitimate post up player in D-1.

What were they doing with Eze during his freshmen red shirt year? He should be much further along by this time this season.

2. Question number 2. If he had problems with Myers and ER then bench them completely, don't just slap their wrists by playing them off the bench regardless for the reason for not starting them.

Oh by the way when Walsh didn't hesitate to start Myers when he was down to six players, then he started right?

Here are my questions for you.

1. How good of a player was Walsh in High school or College himself?

2. Can he demonstrate the correct shooting techniques and skills needed to improve his teams shooting, for that matter do any of this staff have that ability?

3. Have He and His staff shown the ability to improve their players poor shot selection which leads to their poor shooting percentages, nor have not developed any post players (Eze for 1 plus seasons, Eke for one season and didn't use Gloger effectively)) and they have not improved as individuals or as a team as the seasons progressed.

Agree don't like his public criticism of his players play in the media, he recruited them, he's coaching them so if they don't do what he wants them to do, or if they do what he wants them to do and it is not working then whose fault is that?

I also wonder how much does he listen to his assistant coaches during games?

Most of the time he is on his players verbally or the officials during games, I don't know how anybody can coach when they are officiating all game long.

Good points about his demeanor towards his players, how hard are the practices, what causes all the injuries since he has been on the job, and does he really understand how to handle players. Those are all excellent and important coaching points. Good questions.

Just my opinion and you have yours also which I respect even if I may not agree with some of them. I like to agree to disagree because that is how you learn at any age.

I believe that if Walsh does not turn it around next year then he will be gone at the end of his 4 year contract.

16-70 so far is just not going to cut it. The only way that they can turn around this season is to win a quarter-final game in the AE Tourney and going back to using the 9-10 player intramural style of play is not probably going to get that win.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics