DERBA

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

DERBA

Postby somesports11 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Question for all college guys here. Is Maine seeking a new head coach, and Derba finishes his year as "interim?" If so, who do you guys think could be potential candidates? Too early tell, or hard to tell? I am aware of Aaron Izaryk who is currently the AD/Head Coach at Bridgeton Academy. Played and Coached at Umaine, also had an outstanding coaching career with the Sanford Mainers.
somesports11

Re: Derba

Postby thebam » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 am

I look at this similar to what has happened with the football team. A quality assistant is promoted to the big chair. I expect great things out of this team this year and that should lead Coach Derba to having the interim tag removed.
thebam

Postby knowitall11 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm

thebam wrote:I look at this similar to what has happened with the football team. A quality assistant is promoted to the big chair. I expect great things out of this team this year and that should lead Coach Derba to having the interim tag removed.

I agree- Debra seems to have had a lot of success both as a player and Coach. I feel it is always good to hire from within; or at least give the Assistant Coach an opportunity to handle the program.
knowitall11

Postby bulldog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm

thebam wrote:I look at this similar to what has happened with the football team. A quality assistant is promoted to the big chair. I expect great things out of this team this year and that should lead Coach Derba to having the interim tag removed.

I think you make a very good and valid point Bam. As you look back upon the transition, I was eager to see what would transpire with the current team and the incoming recruits. Derba was able to corral the recruits and keep them at Maine. I know the NCAA states that once a recruit signs a NLI, he/she is committed to the school. Often in the change of a coach, a school will release a player from his NLI. I know three of the incoming recruits were invited to the Yankees Area Code tryouts this past spring, and two of the recruits were two time invitees (after their sophomore and junior seasons). Maine didn't want to lose those three or any of their recruits. I think this speaks well of Derba and his communication skills.
bulldog

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics