What if....

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

What if....

Postby pacman50 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Anybody think it's a possibility we could see Turcotte at tailback at all next year? I say the chances are slim considering he is an all-american fullback, but any opinions?
pacman50

Re: What if....

Postby MrPapaBear » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

pacman50 wrote:Anybody think it's a possibility we could see Turcotte at tailback at all next year? I say the chances are slim considering he is an all-american fullback, but any opinions?

Hard to say, at this point, because we don't really know what the base scheme will look like.

I have a feeling you may see Turk as a single back in situational rotation with the rest of the crew -- Session, Brown, Jermaine Henderson and possibly even Roosevelt Boone. But if we're in a two-back I-formation set, I believe Turk's main role would be as a fullback. He does not have the speed or hips to be a true, every-down, I-form tailback in this league.

(NOTE to Turcotte Fan Club: I did not say he doesn't have speed. He has very good speed for a big back. What I said was, he does not have the speed or hips to be a true, every-down, I-tailback in this league.)

Now ... Turcotte as a SHORT-YARDAGE tailback, set behind, say, Conor Keating -- yeah, that's an effective grouping. You could phone in your 3rd-and-2s and your 1st-and-goals-from-inside-the-5.

I'd love to see us run option out of the I, too. Establish Turk at Fullback between the tackles, then start riding him and pulling the ball. Brusko is skilled at running the option, and besides being a good runner, himself, he has a stable of quick backs to pitch to. Session, especially. Wouldn't want a steady diet of it. But run it five or six times a game, and I guarantee one of those guys -- Turcotte, Brusko or Session -- would break a big one, if only because of the attention a defense would have to pay to all three of them.

Don't be surprised if you see Turk play a little slot receiver (sort of like Brusko did last year before taking over at QB). Turk is a very good receiver and blocker. Could even line up at TE, unless Buttles puts on about 40 pounds.

I've said it before: The biggest concern this board should have next year, about UMaine's offense, is replacing Canary and Arnao on the O-line. Passing game will not be a problem. Running game SURELY will not be a problem. But EVERYTHING will be a problem if we don't find a center and a tackle.
MrPapaBear

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm

MrPapaBear wrote:I've said it before: The biggest concern this board should have next year, about UMaine's offense, is replacing Canary and Arnao on the O-line. Passing game will not be a problem. Running game SURELY will not be a problem. But EVERYTHING will be a problem if we don't find a center and a tackle.
Amen ! And a secondary capable of defending both the quick pass to the flat, the down and out routes, and the 3rd and long conversions during an extended drive, especially late in the second and fourth quarters !

"All I want for Christmas is two corner - backs, .. two corner - backs. All I want for Christmas is ......." :D :D
TAL1957

Postby fafan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 am

QUOTE-
I've said it before: The biggest concern this board should have next year, about UMaine's offense, is replacing Canary and Arnao on the O-line. Passing game will not be a problem. Running game SURELY will not be a problem. But EVERYTHING will be a problem if we don't find a center and a tackle.MrPapaBear

Couldn't agree more with Papa Bear and Tal that needed are replacements on the O-line and at the D''B's position. But lets say we get the help on the O-line why does that cure our problem of not being able to throw the ball??? Papa Bear,just curious how that deficiency from last year is corrected?
fafan

Postby unhfan112 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:22 am

THere you Umaine football fans go again. Offense, offense, offense. You gave up 40+ points in 1/4 of your games last year and all your concern is offense. Not to mention the fact that your losing your best defensive player to the NFL....Black hole D....
unhfan112

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:30 am

unhfan112 wrote:THere you Umaine football fans go again. Offense, offense, offense...

Hey there unhfan, did your U of No Hardware education forget to provide you with reading comprehension instruction ? Might want to read my post, and the fafan follow-up, that specifically focused on secondary D needs ?
Your senseless bantering is however appreciated and welcome (helps us UMaine fans feel better about ourselves after seeing what UNH fans are like, thought-process wise and etc. - Thanks !).
TAL1957

Postby MrPapaBear » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:10 am

fafan wrote:But lets say we get the help on the O-line why does that cure our problem of not being able to throw the ball??? Papa Bear,just curious how that deficiency from last year is corrected?

Fair question.

For starters, I don't believe our passing game was as bad as most of you think it was. The fact that we DIDN'T pass much doesn't mean we COULDN'T. It's a perception thing, I think. Sort of like the perception that our Defense was so outstanding last year, when in fact it was only slightly above average. (We lost three leads to UNH in a must-win game. We have up 40 to Hofstra. We gave up 40+ to UNI -- and only one of Brusko picks resulted in points; the rest came on UNI's own offesnsive productivity).

But there's always room for improvement, and I DO believe we'll have to pass more, and be more diversified in the types of pass plays we run (as well as when we run them), if we're going to repeat and surpass last year's success. Here's why I think we will.

1. OC Kevin Bourgoin has another year of experience, and will go into this year with ALL of his skill players returning (OK, except Flu, who missed a good part of 2008, anyway) -- meaning, he'll know what he has to work with, from Day 1.

2. The PLAYERS are committed to putting a better passing game on the field. This, I know for a fact.

3. So is Bourgoin.

4. Brusko won't have to focus on two positions. You guys vastly underestimate how productive this kid was last year as a QB and even as a passer, considering he rarely took more than a few QB reps in practice until after the Delaware game.
MrPapaBear

Postby fafan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:11 am

Papa Bear, I' ll buy those supportive comments about the throwing game just as long as we have a backup plan in case it doesn't work, ie another QB such as Treister that we can bring in throwing situations. Not saying we want to split the QB job just that we need the ability to throw with confidence.
Can't wait to hear the final details about today's signings, certainly one of the most talented classes in awhile. GO BLUE!!!
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Hey there unhfan........Your senseless bantering is however appreciated and welcome (helps us UMaine fans feel better about ourselves after seeing what UNH fans are like, thought-process wise and etc. - Thanks !).

I was thinking the same thing. Almost makes me feel like i got a HAHHHVAD education.......almost. ;)
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm

MrPapaBear wrote:For starters, I don't believe our passing game was as bad as most of you think it was.

I think that in the last few games......it was.
mainejeff

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics