Football 2017::

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Football 2017::

Postby Blackbear28 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 pm

UMaineDad wrote:I don't know who is worse, Coach Liem or Fergy. They both equally suck!. What's even worse is that Liem blamed the players for loosing the game w/o taking responsibility for his own incompetence. He has NO IDEA of how to coach the game! He waited entirely too long to pull Fergy. I think it was the crowd that made the ultimate decision. His limited HS playbook is an embarrassment. His inability to make adjustments in game situations is blatant. His poor use of the run-game is concerning. His total predictability is a discredit to the profession! HE SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!
I don't think the season is over just yet...we should just let the players call the game. They certainly have more experience and know-how than he does!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Blackbear28

Postby UMaine » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:06 am

Black Bears Fall at No. 12/15 Villanova
Maine recorded more sacks (5) than Villanova completed passes (3)

VILLANOVA, Pa. – After trailing 21-0 at halftime, the University of Maine football team fell to No. 12/15 Villanova by a score of 31-0 on Saturday afternoon at Villanova Stadium. The Black Bears are now 1-3 on the season and 0-3 in the CAA.

The Black Bears stifled Villanova's passing attack, allowing just 61 yards on 3 completions on eight attempts. Jason Matovu added an interception, and the Black Hole defense sacked the Wildcat quarterbacks five total times on the day. The nationally-ranked Wildcats were limited to just one conversion on nine third down attempts.

Despite the score, the Black Bear offense totaled 227 yards, eight more than Villanova's 219.

Jaleel Reed had a productive game with six catches and 85 yards receiving to lead Maine. Jaquan Blair and Josh Mack added four catches. Micah Wright finished with three receptions for 39 yards in his first game of the season.

Jaron Grayer led the Black Bears with 11 total tackles. The redshirt-freshman has now totaled 10-plus tackles twice in four career games. Taji Lowe recorded eight total tackles, while Kayon Whitaker and Alejandro Oregon each recorded two sacks.

Josh Mack was held to just 22 rushing yards on 18 attempts. Mack was averaging 167.3 yards per game entering today, leading all of FCS.

Chris Ferguson and Max Staver both spent time under center for Maine, with Ferguson throwing for 138 yards on 15-24 passing and three interceptions, while Staver completed eight of his 17 passes thrown for 73 yards and a pick.

Following a Maine punt on the opening drive, Villanova's Todd Summers caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Jack Schetelich to take a 7-0 lead. The two teams traded punts as the Wildcats led 7-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Maine drove 41 yards on eight plays in its second drive of the second quarter, looking to tie the contest, but momentum swung in Villanova's favor after a Black Bear fumble was returned 99 yards by Jaquan Amos to lengthen Villanova's lead to 14-0.

The Wildcats jumped to a 21-0 lead with 6:55 left in the second quarter as Taurus Phillips ran in a touchdown from 11 yards out.

Following halftime, Villanova found the end zone on its first drive of the half when Schetelich ran in a 12-yard touchdown with 8:46 left in the third quarter.

Maine drove the ball 54 yards on its first drive in the fourth quarter, but the drive stalled when a Wildcat defender recovered a fumble. Villanova's Drew Kresge kicked a 46-yard field goal to extend the Wildcats' lead to 31-0 to cap the scoring with nine minutes left.

Maine returns home Saturday for homecoming weekend against the University of Rhode Island. Kickoff is slated for 3:30 p.m.at Harold Alfond Sports Stadium. Tickets are available online at goblackbears.com or through the ticket office at 207-581-BEAR.

-UMaine-
UMaine

Postby WFVX » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:17 am

Turnovers plague Maine football in 31-0 loss at Villanova

Ferguson threw three picks and the offense had six total turnover en route to a 31-0 drubbing at the hands of the Villanova Wildcats.

Josh Mack came into the contest as the leading rusher in the country averaging 167.3 yards per game, but was held to 22 yards on 18 carries.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/21 ... -villanova
WFVX

Postby PPH » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 am

Villanova trounces UMaine, 31-0
Six turnovers and others issues take the Black Bears out of the game early as the 12th-ranked Wildcats cruise.

... “That’s the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever been a part of in my life,” said Harasymiak, who thought that his team was ready for the game, even though it had played just once in the previous three weeks because of a bye, then a cancellation at Central Florida caused by a hurricane.

“It was disgusting. Embarrasing. And it all starts with me as the head coach. I’ve got to fix it. I know we’re a better team than that, but this will make you question everything you do. Now we’ll see what we’re made of and what kind of kids we have.”

Freshman Chris Ferguson was intercepted three times and backup Max Staver once. The Black Bears also lost two fumbles, botched snaps on punts, had one punt partially blocked and were tagged for 92 yards in penalties.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/07/c ... aine-31-0/
PPH

Postby BDN » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 am

Ferguson remains at quarterback for Black Bears despite interceptions

...Harasymiak was disappointed with the way his team responded to a momentum-changing 99-yard fumble return by freshman safety Jaquan Amos that transformed what could have been a 7-7 tie into 14-0 Villanova lead. Tight end-backup quarterback Drew Belcher fumbled.

“We never recovered from that. We folded as a team. That wasn’t good to see. We didn’t do a good job facing adversity at all. The interceptions after the fumble were brutal,” said Harasymiak.

He told the team it was the most “embarrassing” loss he has absorbed during his coaching career but also credited Villanova for its performance despite playing without injured CAA preseason Defensive Player of the Year Rob Rolle, a safety, and starting quarterback Zach Bednarczyk.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/10/s ... rceptions/
BDN

Postby Blackbear27 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm

BDN wrote:Ferguson remains at quarterback for Black Bears despite interceptions

...Harasymiak was disappointed with the way his team responded to a momentum-changing 99-yard fumble return by freshman safety Jaquan Amos that transformed what could have been a 7-7 tie into 14-0 Villanova lead. Tight end-backup quarterback Drew Belcher fumbled.

“We never recovered from that. We folded as a team. That wasn’t good to see. We didn’t do a good job facing adversity at all. The interceptions after the fumble were brutal,” said Harasymiak.

He told the team it was the most “embarrassing” loss he has absorbed during his coaching career but also credited Villanova for its performance despite playing without injured CAA preseason Defensive Player of the Year Rob Rolle, a safety, and starting quarterback Zach Bednarczyk.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/10/s ... rceptions/

Coach H you are showing your true colors. Pathetic.
Blackbear27

Postby Blackbear27 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm

PPH wrote:Villanova trounces UMaine, 31-0
Six turnovers and others issues take the Black Bears out of the game early as the 12th-ranked Wildcats cruise.

... “That’s the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever been a part of in my life,” said Harasymiak, who thought that his team was ready for the game, even though it had played just once in the previous three weeks because of a bye, then a cancellation at Central Florida caused by a hurricane.

“It was disgusting. Embarrasing. And it all starts with me as the head coach. I’ve got to fix it. I know we’re a better team than that, but this will make you question everything you do. Now we’ll see what we’re made of and what kind of kids we have.”

Freshman Chris Ferguson was intercepted three times and backup Max Staver once. The Black Bears also lost two fumbles, botched snaps on punts, had one punt partially blocked and were tagged for 92 yards in penalties.

Coach H you are horrible!
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/07/c ... aine-31-0/
Blackbear27

Postby WFVX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 am

Maine football looks to shake offensive slump ahead of Rhode Island

...“You know we’re just trying to figure out why he played so well in the first two and then obviously struggled. Obviously it's against good competition we’re going to change some things in practice, practice a different way do some different things to help him out just so hopefully we can change that and can get him back to the guy we know he is,” Harasymiak said.

The return of wide receiver Micah Wright should help Ferguson rediscover his early season success.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/21 ... sive-slump
WFVX

Postby DWinsGames » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Let’s see if Ferguson can grow up and play D1 football! Sick of this crap! Turnovers are killing us.
Coach H and team need to get there S**t together
Micha? Let’s see if he can stay out of trouble and actually contribute to the team and not be a distraction!
Another issue - Coach H. Instill some gosh darn displine with your players. Personal penalties are costing us. Loved that he told #3 off when he got a personal at the end of the Villanova game but then I look on twitter today and saw they used him for a tweet. WTH?!
DWinsGames

Postby UMaine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 am

Maine Football‏ @BlackBearsFB
Big day Saturday! Looking for info on tailgating, tickets, etc? Look no further: http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/1 ... rking.aspx
UMaine

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics