Barron Out Indefinitely on Medical Leave

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Barron Out Indefinitely on Medical Leave

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am

parquetfloor wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
parquetfloor wrote:Has there been any update on his situation? I mean, it has been a couple of months since any sort of update right? Is he going to be the head coach heading into the very important April recruiting period?

Why is the upcoming recruiting period "very important' when they only have 2 seniors and 1 scholarship was already filled last fall?

This is the time when you are either working hard on closing some players (getting them committed to visits, etc) or working hard on evaluating kids for the future. But yeah, I forget that it's all about foreign kids for this program now so maybe it isn't a big deal.

There is only one junior (Johnson) as well so we're talking about 2 spots to fill over the next 2 years.
mainejeff

Postby zonid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Hitting home runs, so to speak, on the remaining two scholarships is important in guaranteeing as smooth a transition as possible after this freshman class graduates. Despite parquet’s dig at international recruiting it does appear that staff is working on a few guards/forwards from the PA, NY, NJ area that appear to be the solid mid-major type of recruits that programs like Marist have lived off of over the past 15 years. I believe staff has also shown interest in Bouchard from Houlton who is as promising a prospect in the State as any other Southern Mainer.
zonid

Postby Therealslimshady » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 am

Currently the top recruits in Maine IMO in no particular order are Holmes, Esposito, Bouchard, DeWolfe and Blethen.
1 senior, 1 junior, and 3 sophomores. Esposito already to Nova. Not sure where the others stand, but I think they all have multiple offers.
Therealslimshady

Postby fafan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Therealslimshady wrote:Currently the top recruits in Maine IMO in no particular order are Holmes, Esposito, Bouchard, DeWolfe and Blethen.
1 senior, 1 junior, and 3 sophomores. Esposito already to Nova. Not sure where the others stand, but I think they all have multiple offers.

So four girls from Maine have multiple D1 offers one as a junior and 3 as sophomores???
That would be impressive, who might these schools be?
fafan

Postby Therealslimshady » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Nova, UNH, BU and Fairfield to name a few.
Therealslimshady

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Therealslimshady wrote:Nova, UNH, BU and Fairfield to name a few.

How can UM compete with schools like that? Back to Europe we go! :)
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Maine may be looking at Bouchard, but having watched the most recent high school tournament, I'm not sold. I don't think she has the athleticism or foot speed to be a major factor at the D1 level. Not to say she won't get the opportunity because she is a good player and has size, ball skills and a good Bball IQ. In the game against Foxcroft for example, she had her shot rejected 2 or 3 times by an average class B high school player. Her best shot would be as a point guard. She' has another year to develop, so we'll see what happens.
Blind Zebra

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 pm

I think that Holmes might be the best of the best bunch at the D-1 level. She seems like a Fanny Wadling type player with a bit more quickness. Esposito is a great athlete but I'm not sure she is going to make an impact like she did in HS. She'll get a great education at Nova though!
mainejeff

Postby zonid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:40 pm

mainejeff wrote:

The funny thing is UNH was a veteran team this year with the type of players that Maine "should" be recruiting. Pogue was an overlooked recruit that morphed herself into a Player of the Year and is a terror in the post. Lai and Fogarty were decorated Northeast recruits that originally committed to Marist. Healy was a Miss Massachusetts Basketball player of the year. UNH certainly had a much better season overall than Maine this year but could anyone who watched that semi-final game in person say that UNH was hands down the better team at this point in the season?

Now consider that the Europeans may go back overseas and play with their respective national teams like Sigi did. That's a pretty good off-season training regimen.

Also, has anyone else noticed that both Barron and Vachon, when commenting on recruits over the past two years, always include the qualifier "want to be here"? There is a reason for that.
zonid

Postby Pirates79 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 pm

mainejeff wrote:

Geez! I can play Big East basketball just outside Philly? I can play in Dover, an easy drive to Boston? I can play in Boston? Or I can play in Fairfield, CT? Hello NYC!!!!

I can get an equally valuable degree from all these schools.

No brainer! I'm going to friggin' Orono, Maine!
Pirates79

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics