USM Mens Hoops - what's going on ?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: USM Mens Hoops - what's going on ?

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:10 pm

tubasket wrote:Its good to see the UNE basketball program competitive, but I have no idea how they are getting kids from Texas to come to Bidderford, Maine.

Maybe it's the striped bass fishing in the Saco ?

And I probably should have acknowledged that even when a kid does get a LOT of financial aid from a D3/private, coming up with the remaining percentage can obviously still be a hefty chunk O' change ! USM probably also doesn't have anywhere near the latitude or resources to do what a private school can in respect to aid, but on the other hand the tuition/cost are also a heck of a lot less, especially if you're a Mainer, so you do have that to work with when recruiting.
TAL1957

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I don't think there should be any excuses for the USM mens program. This program is not living up to the potential. Since his arrival 6 years ago Hendrickson has yet to bring in a star 4 year player. It seems as though each year has been pieced together with transfers with questionable pasts. Sure Caterina and Phillips were very good players but, USM was Caterinas 3rd school, Phillips was there for what, 2 years and had eligibility problems. If your best players arn't team players and dedicated to the program, which means on and off the court a program won't be successful. Look at 2007-2008 USM had a good year 14-13. Talk about low standards, finishing just over .500 is considered good. The Little East Confrence is good. You have to bring in good players that are also good people. And you have to bring in a star, plain and simple.
xyz

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:33 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:dleague9:

What kind of gethem money???

It is a D3 school and D3 cannot offer athletic scholarships. Ony available money is financial aid (based on need) and academic scholarships.

Yep, and many D3 schools (e.g., Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, ....) get pretty "creative" when it comes to putting together an "academic and need-based" financial assistance package for a desirable student-athlete. These financial assistance packages can easily surpass anything a kid might get at a D1 school, where the source of ALL $$$ to a student athlete is tracked and monitored to the dime (which is not the case at D3's, where they can pretty much throw money at anybody, any way they want). We aren't really thinking all these kids from down south attending UNE are paying their own way are we ? :lol: :lol:

As for a kid who "wanted USM but didn't get in" ? Hmmmmm.

Tal 1957: You can't compare Bates, Bowdoin or Colby instate with USM. USM is in the same boat finacially when it comes to helping players with non athletic financial help as UMF, UIMFK, UMM and UMPI. They are public land grant colleges with very little budgeted scholarship money for academic scholarships. Granted they are less expensive then the private schools, but how much endowment money do they have for academic scholarships????

. Why is it that in the NAC Husson has been the dominate team the past few years. THEY AREA PRIVATE SCHOOL. Just like St. KJoe's and UNE. Swap coaches asnd you will see that bthere probably wouldn't be much oif a change at either schools.
bcbc55

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Bcbc I thought we were going to start to agree. Oh well. Lets not give USM Basketball a pass. Most other programs at USM are very successful. Womans basketball, Baseball, Hockey, ect... What is the difference with mens basketball? UNE, Husson, St Joes are bringing in players that fit in a system not just quick fix guys. I'm not sure what the tuition is for any of these schools but I bet Husson, St Joes and UNE are much more expensive than USM. And students can always take loans. I do agree with you that you can't compare NESCAC schools because that is a totally different student athlete, but at the same time NESCAC schools from Maine have done very well in a confrence where two members have won national championships in recent years. At the college level there is no room for excuses because everyone has to go and get players. The Little East is made up of all state schools and USM Basketball doesn't get it done.
xyz

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:18 pm

USM soccer-12-9-1

USM Hockey 10-9-1

Baseball 36-14

Basketball 4-17

Why? Each sport has the same financial aid dept. Each team has a set budget. Due to Title IX Men's and Womans basketball have to be funded the same and treated equel. Why can't Hendrickson produce a winner.
xyz

Postby Patsfan07 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:20 pm

bcbc55 wrote:. Why is it that in the NAC Husson has been the dominate team the past few years. THEY AREA PRIVATE SCHOOL. Just like St. KJoe's and UNE. Swap coaches asnd you will see that bthere probably wouldn't be much oif a change at either schools.

First off, Husson hasn't ever won the NAC title, so dominate is probably not the word to use. Secondly, the NAC is a much weaker conference than the Little East....for example, Husson is 7 - 2 in the NAC this year, but 10 - 10 overall....which includes a 3 pt win over the Little East cellar dwellers, USM. Husson's talent has dropped off too in recent years, but they play in a conference in which they'll always be competitive.

And if Husson and UNE swapped coaches, you wouldn't see very many mainers playing at Husson, and I know Cim would not be happy about that !!
Patsfan07

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:. Why is it that in the NAC Husson has been the dominate team the past few years. THEY AREA PRIVATE SCHOOL. Just like St. KJoe's and UNE. Swap coaches asnd you will see that bthere probably wouldn't be much oif a change at either schools.

First off, Husson hasn't ever won the NAC title, so dominate is probably not the word to use. Secondly, the NAC is a much weaker conference than the Little East....for example, Husson is 7 - 2 in the NAC this year, but 10 - 10 overall....which includes a 3 pt win over the Little East cellar dwellers, USM. Husson's talent has dropped off too in recent years, but they play in a conference in which they'll always be competitive.

And if Husson and UNE swapped coaches, you wouldn't see very many mainers playing at Husson, and I know Cim would not be happy about that !!

PatsFan07: Husson has not won the NAC but they have dominated the Eastern Part of the NAC. Now that the Massachusetts teams are out of the NAC and the the 4 Vermont teams have replaced them as the Western NAC Teams the NAC is not A STRONG OVERALL conference now. However, Husson has not had much tournament success but they have hosted the NAC several times so they had the best season conference record so they have dominated regular season NAC play over the few years the MAN became the NAC.

In fact, Thomas beat Hussoin today by 6 at Thomas and UMF defeated MMA at UMF. Husson and UMF battling for the high seed in the conference.

I could careless what a private school does as far as recruitng players from out of state. It is the Public Land Grant Institutiuons vthat should be recruiting Maine Players in my opinion.
bcbc55

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:14 pm

bcbc55: Do you think there are enough QUALITY Maine basketball players to fill the rosters of UMF, USM, UMPI, UMFK and have those teams be competitive? UMF is made up of all Maine players. Coach Meader does an amazing job with the talent that he collects. He brings kids in, sells them on the system and year in and year out they are around .500 in a weak NAC confrence. Don't get me wrong, I think with the talent that UMF can realisticlly get coach Meader gets more out of those players than anybody could. But who really wants to be mediocre? USM on the other hand, with its location of Southern Maine should be able to get at least one quality player from home, I think they may have this year with Beurgerone (sp) from Kennebunk. But in terms of recruiting USM is within 3 hours of connecticut, 1 1/2 from Boston and Mass in general. One would think that in six years Henrickson would have brought in one stud player, other than a transfer with baggage. Doesn't he have a staff that can go out and recruit every night? To win at the college level you have to bring in players plain and simple. It's not like high school where somtimes the talent just isn't there. Every college coach has to be accountable if they are not getting it done?
xyz

Postby Patsfan07 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:31 am

bcbc55 wrote:I could careless what a private school does as far as recruitng players from out of state. It is the Public Land Grant Institutiuons vthat should be recruiting Maine Players in my opinion.

C'mon Cim, I know you would be disappointed if your alma mater had an all Texas team....but I do agree with you that the bulk of the rosters for the UMaine D3 schools should be Maine kids.

IMHO, the best coaching job I ever witnessed in Maine was 20 years ago at USM when Coach Brown took a Maine based squad to the D3 Final Four. Bowers, Bonsant, Franceur, Moody (can't remember their 5th starter) were all Maine players and were usually overmatched in size, speed and quickness almost every night.....but they played Brown's matchup zone to perfection and frustrated opponents to no end....and there was no quit with that group. Maybe the secret was the short shorts and the high socks !?!? :)
Patsfan07

Postby tubasket » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 pm

There is a clear lack of stability with the program. How many of the players have played there for 4 years? If they can get two legit guys in or out of state that they can build around then things would be a little easier.
tubasket

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics