USM Mens Hoops - what's going on ?

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

USM Mens Hoops - what's going on ?

Postby Patsfan07 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:56 pm

Can someone explain the sinking of a once proud USM Mens Basketball program ?? They're currently in the 6th year under Karl Henrikson and they're 52 - 98 under his regime. But that's actually an improvement as they were 56 - 199 in 7 years under Coach Costigan. It's been 20 years since Bob Brown took USM to the D3 Final Four, but it's been the Husky Titanic since Coach Brown left.
Patsfan07

Re: USM Mens Hoops - what's going on ?

Postby mbr2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Your post has been up for two days with no response and to me that speaks volumes. There appears to be little interest in the mens program at USM and when that happens it becomes very difficult to win.
mbr2

Postby Patsfan07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Mbr2, sadly, I believe you're right.

It is interesting to note that nearby rival, St Joes, has seemed to right the ship. They struggled when Coach Simonds left, but they're playing much better this season.
Patsfan07

Postby mbr2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Personally, i think USM should be a dynamite job. Great locale, economical as colleges go for instate kids. The state has a bundle of D-3 talent and they play in a great league. However something is missing because the last 2 coaches, both knowledgable and hardworking, have not had much success.
mbr2

Postby ElinLovesEldrick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

In the Little East, there seems to be a fine line between a win & a loss, or between a conference record of, say, 11-3 and 3-11. An injury here or there, or a key guy in foul trouble, or one weak link on defense, and it's another L.

Having watched the men's team the past several years, I can't count how many times the score is close at the half, but ends up a 20 point USM loss. Most of the time, what has made a difference is the opponents making 1 or 2 more "runs" than the Huskies. And as with most teams, when everyone is pulling in the same direction, USM looks great. But unlike most teams, especially in that league, when they're not all on the same page, USM can't seem to hold back the floodwaters.

I agree the school should be a natural draw for a lot of very good local players, but if you were a very good D-3 player from Mass. or NH or even CT, why would you go to USM, with its dismal conference record, when you can play in the same league for a team with a better track record? It would take a coach with the personality of Mike Woodbury to overcome that little obstacle.

And I don't subscribe to the opinion that having all the local talent on the team would translate into conference titles. Finding someone who will get them to play for each other is much more important.

I wonder if Tim Prescott might be available?
ElinLovesEldrick

Postby dleague9 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 pm

There have been 2 winning seasons at USM in the last 15 years. 3 coaches..Sokitas, Costigan and Henderson. last year they were real good with Caterina and Coppwrath. This year they are too young to compete with that schedule.(poulin, Bergeron, zolper) I know that Dunc wanted USM but didnt get in. He has done well at TC. UNE must be doing some things to turn it around so quick. Get kids in and getthem money. That would help USM.
dleague9

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 am

dleague9 wrote:There have been 2 winning seasons at USM in the last 15 years. 3 coaches..Sokitas, Costigan and Henderson. last year they were real good with Caterina and Coppwrath. This year they are too young to compete with that schedule.(poulin, Bergeron, zolper) I know that Dunc wanted USM but didnt get in. He has done well at TC. UNE must be doing some things to turn it around so quick. Get kids in and getthem money. That would help USM.

dleague9:

What kind of gethem money???

It is a D3 school and D3 cannot offer athletic scholarships. Ony available money is financial aid (based on need) and academic scholarships.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:11 am

bcbc55 wrote:dleague9:

What kind of gethem money???

It is a D3 school and D3 cannot offer athletic scholarships. Ony available money is financial aid (based on need) and academic scholarships.

Yep, and many D3 schools (e.g., Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, ....) get pretty "creative" when it comes to putting together an "academic and need-based" financial assistance package for a desirable student-athlete. These financial assistance packages can easily surpass anything a kid might get at a D1 school, where the source of ALL $$$ to a student athlete is tracked and monitored to the dime (which is not the case at D3's, where they can pretty much throw money at anybody, any way they want). We aren't really thinking all these kids from down south attending UNE are paying their own way are we ? :lol: :lol:

As for a kid who "wanted USM but didn't get in" ? Hmmmmm.
TAL1957

Postby Patsfan07 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:31 am

The UNE situation is a strange one...they must have some "creative" financial aid packages flowing thru their basketball program...that's a private school for ya though....but even private schools' huge endowments are taking hits in this economy.

St Joes has done well lately with a mixture of instate and out of state players. There obviously is no pressure to win at USM with those records, which may explain the laissez-faire attitude too.
Patsfan07

Postby tubasket » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am

It is unfortunate to see the current situation with the USM mens basketball program. Credit needs to be given to Coach Sanicola at St. Joes for what he has done in his six seasons there. I think an extra focus needs to be put on getting the top Maine kids. While USM may not be able to compete with the NESCAC in terms of recruiting, players like Jason Levesque (Keene St.), Nick Pelotte (Plymouth St.), Andrew St. Clair (Colby-Sawyer) and Matt Clement (Maine Maritime) are all-conference type players that should be the top priority for the Huskies. Even though Levesque came back to USM he is the type of player that they need to get right out of high school. In no way am I trying to say that Coach Henrikson is not putting in the effort, I just think there are some certain things that can be done to make USM more successful.

I don't think we can put Bates/Bowdoin/Colby in the same sentence as UNE when it comes to financial aid. The NESCAC school are able to provide financial aid to alot of students because some of their students are full pay. In which case they right a check for $50,000 every year. Its good to see the UNE basketball program competitive, but I have no idea how they are getting kids from Texas to come to Bidderford, Maine.
tubasket

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics