Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Baseball:

Postby BBOCFAN » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:40 am

I agree with bulldog. Maine appears to have a spot available on this program. Great opportunity for a player to experience something different.
BBOCFAN

Postby bulldog » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 pm

There are many Maine connections throughout the college baseball world. Jack Leggett spent many a year at Vermont and Western Carolina before leading the Clemson Tigers to many top 20 finishes. Remember Gabe Ribas, Brunswick High School and I believe Northwestern, he is now the Associate Head Baseball coach at Santa Clara in California.

There are many opportunities available for those that want to play and to coach and if one is willing to put the time in there are places that fit all. Courtney pitched in Bellingham and had a good showing. This opened the door for other Mainers and Delaite it the recipient. There will probably be another Maine player next fall who is pick up by Bellingham.
bulldog

Postby bulldog » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 pm

BBOCFAN,

I believe that you are correct that Maine probably has a connection and a pipeline to Bellingham as many of the previous kids who played there have had success and the kids were quality kids. This puts faith in the Belligham organizers and coaches that the players the Maine coaches recommend are going to be successful in Bellingham.

I have also heard that the Kemble boy from Bangor is being sent to Boca Raton, Florida this summer to play in a Wood Bat Collegiate league there. Evidently, each team may take one high school player, much like the Futures league that the DeLaite boy played in last summer. I believe Delaite either played in Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

I would guess this is a way to get the top incoming players acclimated to the speed and strength of the college game. Similar to high school football players enrolling in college during the spring of their senior year in order to attend spring practices and get acclimated to the speed of the college football game.

Everything seems to be accelerated now.
bulldog

Postby BBOCFAN » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Appreciate the additional detail. As you mention, it is important to find good matches for young players to avoid being discouraged and prepare for when their time comes. I try to keep up with some of the players from ME in college. There were / are a lot in the league Seacoast Mavericks play. This is the team Delaite played for, so I kept an eye on his results summer of 2016.
BBOCFAN

Postby bulldog » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 pm

BBOCFAN wrote:it is important to find good matches for young players to avoid being discouraged and prepare for when their time comes.

BB...I think you are so correct that finding that match is critical as it is important to get kids against competition that will challenge then, yet allow them to have some success at the same time.
bulldog

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:17 am

UMaine baseball team picked to finish fourth in America East

The University of Maine baseball team was chosen to finish fourth in the America East coaches’ preseason poll, but interim head coach Nick Derba said he fully expects his team to contend for the conference championship.

Derba replaced 11-year head coach Steve Trimper on an interim basis in December 2016 after Trimper was named the head coach at Stetson University in Florida.

“The poll doesn’t faze me,” said Derba, who wasn’t surprised that his team was picked fourth.

“It is what it is,” he added. “I don’t care what the preseason poll looks like, I just care what [the standings] look like in the postseason.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/02/09/s ... rica-east/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Baseball: at Winthrop Feb 17, 18, 19

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:15 am

upcoming this week...

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 17, 2017
BB at Winthrop University 4:00 PM

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 18, 2017
BB at Winthrop University 3:00 PM

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 19, 2017
BB at Winthrop University 12:00 PM
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:17 am

Prolly a little nicer down there in Rock Hill, SC than it is right now and next day or two up there in Orono !?? :lol:

I'm guessing the Eagles have been out on the diamond in 70-80s the last few days ! :shock:

Might want to get this trip started later today ! :lol:
TAL1957

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Does Maine now have a good baseball COACH? Maine has lacked sound in-game coaching for years....one of the big reasons that they are now being dominated in America East. Also seems like the team has lacked a killer instinct and been a bit too loosy goosy. There can be discipline without being a dictatorship. Playing time would seem to be a good thing to dangle over players heads.....not who you think or promised PT to.....but players that actually perform on the diamond. Trimper was horrible in that regard as well.
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 pm

mainejeff wrote:Does Maine now have a good baseball COACH? ....
Only time (and most of an AE season schedule) will tell. I'm thinkin'/hopin' that Coach Derba was where he was in D1 coaching for good reason, has D1 level experience and coaching abilities, and he has at least the potential to be successful at UMaine. But, ... a tough beginning perhaps and gonna be hard to say for sure even after a season or two at the helm, if it goes that long.

mainejeff wrote: Maine has lacked sound in-game coaching for years....one of the big reasons that they are now being dominated in America East.
I'd "like" to say this may a bit overstated and it's easy to second-guess in-game decisions after the fact, but ... there were a number of times where I "wondered" about the small-ball strategy(s), or rather the lack thereof ?

mainejeff wrote: Also seems like the team has lacked a killer instinct and been a bit too loosy goosy. There can be discipline without being a dictatorship. Playing time would seem to be a good thing to dangle over players heads.....not who you think or promised PT to.....but players that actually perform on the diamond. Trimper was horrible in that regard as well.
Not sure I would agree based on my somewhat outdated personal experience, and even more recent outside-the-loop fan perspective. I know that most of the players are indeed highly driven and absolutely want to WIN - Badly !!!! I also believe that lineup decisions and playing time were indeed driven in large part by on-the-field performance, so ..... ???

In any event, Black Bears Baseball is where it is, and it'll be "interesting" (hopefully fun ?) to see how the next few weeks and months transpire.

Can't Wait ...... Play Ball !!!!
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics