Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Baseball: Committee hopes to name coach within two weeks

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

This has the stench of some donor or wealthy alum pulling the strings. Dunbar (most improved poster!) is all over this...administration doesn't care about program but is obviously trying to make "someone" happy. I'm sure that they did't want to PO someone who helps underwrite the program. I agree that Derba should have been the guy considering where the program is at. And if they were planning on hiring someone else...it all should have been lined up by the time the season ended. I wonder if Jack Leggett is in the conversation?
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:18 pm

mainejeff wrote:This has the stench of some donor or wealthy alum pulling the strings. Dunbar (most improved poster!) is all over this...administration doesn't care about program but is obviously trying to make "someone" happy. I'm sure that they did't want to PO someone who helps underwrite the program. I agree that Derba should have been the guy considering where the program is at. And if they were planning on hiring someone else...it all should have been lined up by the time the season ended. I wonder if Jack Leggett is in the conversation?

mainejeff: Boy, I hope this not going to be a political appointment.

Remember the last big UMaine political coaching hire and how disastrous that turned out. Coach who got the job wasn't a finalist, but then ended up with the job and was let go several years later because the program was losing big time.

Could Coaching Karma become a factor in this hiring?

Coaching Karma means that sometimes when the person who should get the job and doesn't because of politics......things just never seem to work out.

Please UMaine do the right thing at the right time and hire Coach Derba.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 pm

mainejeff wrote:Dunbar (most improved poster!) is all over this...

Thanks? :?

This is what I'm confused over. You had an interim for five months. Why wasn't this process done during the season? If the sport is as much of a priority as the diehards are led to believe (IMO, it's not), where's the timely nature of this whole situation? Baseball is still a revenue sport here, but kind of lives in purgatory. It's a distant fifth behind football, men's hockey, and both basketball teams (in that order), but there's still a gap between baseball and the other non-revenue programs. It has the facilities, but only because they were largely built on private donations. Administrative support of this program is not as strong as previously believed. Then again, with the donors, does it really need to be?

This wouldn't take this long if it was Derba. I'd be shocked once this is over, if he ends up with the job. I hope he does, but I don't think he will.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm

dunbar wrote:
mainejeff wrote:Dunbar (most improved poster!) is all over this...

Thanks? :?

This is what I'm confused over. You had an interim for five months. Why wasn't this process done during the season? If the sport is as much of a priority as the diehards are led to believe (IMO, it's not), where's the timely nature of this whole situation? Baseball is still a revenue sport here, but kind of lives in purgatory. It's a distant fifth behind football, men's hockey, and both basketball teams (in that order), but there's still a gap between baseball and the other non-revenue programs. It has the facilities, but only because they were largely built on private donations. Administrative support of this program is not as strong as previously believed. Then again, with the donors, does it really need to be?

This wouldn't take this long if it was Derba. I'd be shocked once this is over, if he ends up with the job. I hope he does, but I don't think he will.

dunbar: To me you are the MVP (Most Valuable Poster) here on the MBR---UMaine and some others D-1 schools / topics.

Excellent and informative post on this unnecessary long time to fill the baseball job with the correct candidate, Coach Derba.

But like you stated as have others that the longer it takes the less it looks like it is going to be Derba. Too bad as he has been loyal and did an excellent job this year as an interim.

If Creech would follow his 2 inside previous hiring of UMaine assistants in Football, Softball and Women's Basketball (Interim for 1 1/2 years) compared to the one outside hire he made since he came on board as AD the ssame year he hired a non Maine assistant coach.
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Sorry but not hiring Nick Derba would pale in comparison to not hiring Mike Coutts years ago :(
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 pm

fafan wrote:Sorry but not hiring Nick Derba would pale in comparison to not hiring Mike Coutts years ago :(

fafan: Sorry but not hiring Mike Coutts would pale in comparision to not hiring Ed Flaherty years ago.
bcbc55

Postby changeitup » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am

bcbc55....Aren't you the one who says hire the assistant and move them up? Wasn't Coutts an assistant when he was overlooked? And now you say Flaherty should have been hired at that time? Make up your mind.
changeitup

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am

fafan wrote:Sorry but not hiring Nick Derba would pale in comparison to not hiring Mike Coutts years ago :(

Completely agree. That was such BS.
parquetfloor

Postby augie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 am

bcbc55 wrote:

fafan: Sorry but not hiring Mike Coutts would pale in comparision to not hiring Ed Flaherty years ago.

Flaherty didn't apply back in 1996.
augie

Postby BBOCFAN » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am

I first admit knowing nothing about the formalities of requirements and / or advantages of why schools choose a specific division. However, what would stop the state from simply changing their DI title to USM since they are both part of the same state university system? In other words, Flaherty = you are now running our DI program and Derba = you now run our D (II, III) program. Is this possibly something that could be considered?
BBOCFAN

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics