Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Baseball: Committee hopes to name coach within two weeks

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm

mainejeff wrote:Why hurry? Recruits will wait for slow moving Maine to make a decision. :roll: :oops:

And Cosgrove...when can we finally rid ourselves of that nailbiting d-bag? :|

I am being told there was a bunch of candidates and some that have alot of name recognition so taking the time and getting the best coach sounds like the reasonable thing to do.
fafan

Postby augie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

fafan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:Why hurry? Recruits will wait for slow moving Maine to make a decision. :roll: :oops:

I am being told there was a bunch of candidates and some that have alot of name recognition so taking the time and getting the best coach sounds like the reasonable thing to do.

interesting. who are those with the name recognition?
augie

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:54 pm

fafan wrote:

Even if this was true, and I don't think it is, based on my sources, it should not take upwards of a month for a school like Maine to hire a baseball coach. Other, more prestigious baseball programs, have fired and hired within this timeframe already this spring, and most of them hired an Asst. already in the program. This is beyond embarrassing. If the Athletic Director is even remotely listening to the players in the program, this should have been done in a week, or less.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:03 pm

I wonder if this whole ordeal is representative of how the athletic department views and prioritizes the baseball program.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:04 pm

dunbar wrote:I wonder if this whole ordeal is representative of how the athletic department views and prioritizes the baseball program.

Sadly, I don't think you really have to wonder. However, if they truly don't really give a $hit, why go to the trouble to bring in an outsider? You have a guy in place who desperately wants to be there to keep the momentum going. You have a roster that will perhaps blow up if you do hire an outsider. Why not just keep things the way they are and not be bothered by it? Very confusing.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 pm

thebam wrote:
fafan wrote:

Even if this was true, and I don't think it is, based on my sources, it should not take upwards of a month for a school like Maine to hire a baseball coach. Other, more prestigious baseball programs, have fired and hired within this timeframe already this spring, and most of them hired an Asst. already in the program. This is beyond embarrassing. If the Athletic Director is even remotely listening to the players in the program, this should have been done in a week, or less.

TheBam: Couldn't agree more that this should have been done in a week, or less.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 pm

It's not like they had a whole five months of an interim when they could've gone through this whole "search committee" protocol...
dunbar

Postby augie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 pm

thebam wrote:
dunbar wrote:I wonder if this whole ordeal is representative of how the athletic department views and prioritizes the baseball program.

Sadly, I don't think you really have to wonder. However, if they truly don't really give a $hit, why go to the trouble to bring in an outsider? You have a guy in place who desperately wants to be there to keep the momentum going. You have a roster that will perhaps blow up if you do hire an outsider. Why not just keep things the way they are and not be bothered by it? Very confusing.

I think the longer this goes on the less of a chance Derba is named. Disappointing to see how the Athletic Department views this sport. I was all for doing a national search but at this point all this is doing is embarrassing the university so why even freaking bother, just remove the Interim tag on Derba already. If I was a player on the team I would be extremely disappointed on how this is being handled.
augie

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Creech said on The Drive to expect the announcement "in the near future". He made it sound like to expect the new hire to be a current Division I coach.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm

dunbar wrote:Creech said on The Drive to expect the announcement "in the near future". He made it sound like to expect the new hire to be a current Division I coach.

dunbar: What current baseball D-1 coach would want to leave another D-1 baseball head coaching job to come so far north to Maine.

Could the current D-1 coach be Derba, or does that eliminate him as he is an interim and not considered a current D-1 Coach?

If Derba is not hired there will be many very unhappy UMaine baseball players and MBR fans.

Hiring current on staff UMaine coaches in Football and women's basketball (interim for 1 1/2 seasons)) have proved very successful.

Why not keep the successful streak going? While the hiring of a non on staff coach in men's basketball has not proved very successful has it?

I wrote in my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim" Column 4 springs ago that Maine should hire Doug Leischner as an interim men's basketball coach as he had 9 years of experience as a UMaine assistant.

Maine didn't take that advice and look what happened to that hire, 16-75 in 3 seasons, 11 transfers in 2 seasons and no tournament wins.

So by recommending the hiring Derba here on MBR I certainly hope that does not put the "kiss of death" on Derba to be hired as the head baseball coach after getting them to the AE Conference finals....Sorry Coach if that happens, but you are the man for the job, you have earned it and many of your players and fans believe this also.

Wonder if the current baseball players have been consulted about this hire?
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics