Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Baseball: vs Binghamton AE Championships 5/27, 2:30

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 am

Maine Baseball‏ @MaineBaseball
UMBC walks off in the bottom of the 10th, ending the Black Bears' tournament run.
pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA8Eh9UUMAA_8J6.jpg

Maine receives their tournament awards. #AEChamps #BlackBearNation
VIDEO: https://twitter.com/MaineBaseball/statu ... 9684630529

What a run it has been. Thanks for the support #BlackBearNation
Team Pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA8HZE7U0AAt1C6.jpg

Nick Derba‏ @NickDerba
It has been a privilege to lead the 2017 @MaineBaseball team. They embodied #mainetough to the fullest meaning. #championsinmybook
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Baseball: Tournament run ends for Maine.

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 29, 2017 4:47 am

NCAA BASEBALL
AMERICA EAST TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY 2, MAINE 1 (10 INNINGS)
BLACK BEARS ELIMINATED
UMAINE FINISHES THE SEASON AT 25-29

- http://wabi.tv/2017/05/28/maine-basebal ... hip-round/

-
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Baseball: optimistic after conference tournament run

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 am

UMaine baseball optimistic after conference tournament run

..."We battled," he said. "It would've been a lot easier if we had won the first game, but we came back and did what we wanted to do, even though we still feel like there's some unfinished business."

In the process, the Black Bears beat Hartford in extra innings, avenged that opening loss to Albany, and even knocked off the top seed, Binghamton.

With a total of six games on the weekend, some weather delays as well, Derba said it was a learning opportunity for both the players and coaches, constantly having to work through adverse situations.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/20 ... nament-run
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:27 am

COMMENTARY
Resilient tourney run capped up-and-down year for UMaine baseball team

...The season ended on a frustrating note when the Black Bears managed only one run on 13 hits and two walks in a 2-1, 10-inning loss to the Retrievers. They stranded 12 runners.

“Thirteen hits and one run. That’s really hard to do,” said the 31-year-old Derba on Tuesday. “That was the story of our losses this season. We squandered opportunities.”

UMaine stranded 59 runners in six tournament games.

The good news is that the Black Bears graduate only three players: Left fielder Lou Della Fera, right fielder Tyler Schwanz and closer Jeff Gelinas.

And two members of the 2016 America East Rookie team, third baseman Danny Casals and left fielder Colin Ridley, should be 100 percent healthy. Casals played just 25 games before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery and Ridley was limited to 24 games due to hand surgery.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/05/31/s ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 am

UMaine’s Courtney Shares his Thoughts on Getting Drafted

The Major League Baseball first year player draft is coming up this month and Bangor’s Justin Courtney is eligible. The UMaine starter has a good chance of hearing his name called…

http://wabi.tv/2017/06/01/umaines-court ... g-drafted/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Baseball: Committee hopes to name coach within two weeks

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 am

Search committee hopes to name UMaine baseball coach within two weeks

...The baseball search committee, which is chaired by former longtime UMaine football coach and current senior associate director of athletics Jack Cosgrove, has begun the process of choosing a coach.

Cosgrove said Friday night that there were 104 applicants for the job and he and his committee had interviewed several candidates via skype in paring down the list this week.

He added that they hope to have a coach in place within two weeks.

“But we aren’t going to rush it. We want to make sure we get the right guy,” said Cosgrove, who will meet with director of athletics Karlton Creech on Monday to discuss the candidates.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/04/s ... two-weeks/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:58 am

I would assume that having Mike Coutts on the committee precludes him from being a candidate for the job......a bit surprising. Maybe he doesn't want to "start over" at this point in his life & career having built a relatively successful softball program. It might also indicate the lack of commitment of money and resources to the baseball program. Or he might just not be interested for whatever reason. Times have definitely changed in the college baseball world since he was an assistant under Winkin. Not only is it hard for any program in the Northeast to get any traction, but even in their own conference, Maine struggles to get wins and remain competitive.

Despite Maine's performance in the tourney, I hope that Derba is not the guy. With 104 applicants.....there has to be someone that can raise the compete level of this program....right? :|
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 am

Out of 104 applicants, the actual number of interviews was considerably less. My sources tell me that it was a very underwhelming list . If Nick Derba doesn't get this job, and he deserves it, then baseball will likely become Men's basketball almost overnight. Nick has overwhelming support from players, boosters and allegedly administration. While the record may not have indicated as much, the progression of this program is upward. Incoming players will have immediate impact and existing players will only get better. It is my belief that if Derba doesn't get hired there will be requests to undo letters of intent, transfers that will make the women's and men's hoops team say " wow" . For program integrity as well as future success, Nick Derba is exactly who they need to hire. It shouldn't take them another 2 weeks to figure this out.
thebam

Postby augie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 am

thebam wrote:Out of 104 applicants, the actual number of interviews was considerably less. My sources tell me that it was a very underwhelming list . If Nick Derba doesn't get this job, and he deserves it, then baseball will likely become Men's basketball almost overnight. Nick has overwhelming support from players, boosters and allegedly administration. While the record may not have indicated as much, the progression of this program is upward. Incoming players will have immediate impact and existing players will only get better. It is my belief that if Derba doesn't get hired there will be requests to undo letters of intent, transfers that will make the women's and men's hoops team say " wow" . For program integrity as well as future success, Nick Derba is exactly who they need to hire. It shouldn't take them another 2 weeks to figure this out.

I am glad they are opening up for a national search and trust that if Derba is the right guy the committee will hire him. I think he has a very good shot and will support the decision 100%.

But Bam, I think you are being a bit over dramatic in what will happen if he's not named. Coutts was in a similar position as Derby back when they replaced Winkin. Kosty was named the new coach over Coutts and he did a phenomenal job a job. I think Coutts could have done a wonderful job as well if given the opportunity but he wasn't. His hire was not popular at first however the program really rebounded under Kosty's tutelage and I trust it will soon as well with the next hire, whether Derba or not.
augie

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 am

thebam wrote:While the record may not have indicated as much, the progression of this program is upward.

I know that you live and breathe this program bam.....but I can't agree with you here. There is just nothing that justifies that statement. :|
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics