Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Baseball: Trimper Leaving... Nick Derba named interim

Postby bulldog » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 pm

Bam,

I am with you. I hope that Coach Derba and the Black Bears baseball team wins 40 plus games, wins the Conference Championship and takes the Black Bears to a regional. It seems as though many are quickly to jump on the bandwagon and sing praise when all goes well, but is easily to want to rid the coach when something quickly goes amiss.

If Coach Coutts did happen to become the baseball coach at some point, I would hope that he to wins 40 plus games a season, a Conference Championship, and takes the Black Bears to a regional. I hope he accomplishes that feat this spring in Softball.

I hope Coach Walsh and Coach Barron run the table in Conference play and lead both programs into the Big Dance.

I hope that there is a running phenom, or decathlete that is in the national finals this spring during track season.

We criticize on the site when basketball doesn't recruit Maine kids and we criticize when baseball does recruit a Maine kid.

It would be great if all the teams at Maine could all be successful, it would be more enjoyable to watch, especially if there were more Maine kids, but overall, I wish them all success.

Go Black Bears!
bulldog

Re: Baseball: Trimper Leaving... Nick Derba named interim

Postby BBOCFAN » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:08 am

I've made previous comments, so want to clarify. I never mentioned wishing failure to the players or coach. All involved are left in a challenging situation of trying to get the program back on track. This is a tough situation for even the most seasoned and accomplished coaches. I wish them well. Maybe there is Cinderella or Tom Brady Story in the making.
BBOCFAN

Re: Baseball:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:46 am

Bangor Native, UMaine Freshman DeLaite to Pitch for Bellingham Bells Next Summer

After the spring baseball season with UMaine, Trevor DeLaite will head across the country to pitch.

The former Bangor high pitcher will play in Washington for the Bellingham Bells. It’s the 5th straight year that a Black Bear will play summer ball for the team. Bangor’s Justin Courtney went two years ago.

http://wabi.tv/2017/01/31/bangor-native ... xt-summer/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:48 am

Certainly eager to see the D1 Baseball season begin only a few weeks from now, But ....
a bit early to be all that interested in what various players may, or MAY NOT, do this summer. Seems a bit premature at this point, especially for pitchers, to be talking about possible, even likely, summer ball contracts/commitments !??? Then again, given there's not much to be excited about right now other than WBB, I guess the pundits gotta look for somethin' of interest to UMaine sports fans ! :o ;)
TAL1957

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am

The summer baseball team always fill out their rosters before the season starts. ....D1 college baseball ends at earliest for most teams around Memorial day, and the summer leagues usually start in second week of June...Tough to fill out a roster in two weeks, so they get committments from players beforehand.

If something happens to the player during the season they can back out....but from the players perspective, its also better to find a team now, of a few months ago, then scramble come June and perhaps have nowhere to play
wmtwsportsprod

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:27 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:The summer baseball team always fill out their rosters before the season starts. ....
No, No, No ! You are sorely mistaken.

Whether it is the Cape Cod League, Coastal Plain, NY Perfect Game, Northwoods, Alaska, Sun Belt, or pretty much any of the other premier or many other collegiate leagues, they definitely do NOT "fill out their rosters" prior to the D1 season beginning.
Coaches, D1 and all other levels, seek to place their ballplayers on these teams Throughout the collegiate season, at least as much, if not more so, than Before the season even begins (players returning to the same summer team as their previous summer notwithstanding). I have absolutely No idea where you would have drawn that conclusion or belief from ?

But, ...... it doesn't matter. My point was, it's kinda weird for a newspaper sports writer, or anyone else really, to focus on that at this point in time.
TAL1957

Postby augie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
wmtwsportsprod wrote:The summer baseball team always fill out their rosters before the season starts. ....
No, No, No ! You are sorely mistaken.

Whether it is the Cape Cod League, Coastal Plain, NY Perfect Game, Northwoods, Alaska, Sun Belt, or pretty much any of the other premier or many other collegiate leagues, they definitely do NOT "fill out their rosters" prior to the D1 season beginning.
Coaches, D1 and all other levels, seek to place their ballplayers on these teams Throughout the collegiate season, at least as much, if not more so, than Before the season even begins (players returning to the same summer team as their previous summer notwithstanding). I have absolutely No idea where you would have drawn that conclusion or belief from ?

But, ...... it doesn't matter. My point was, it's kinda weird for a newspaper sports writer, or anyone else really, to focus on that at this point in time.

I know the Cape doesn't have a 100% completed roster before the college season starts but it is pretty darn close.
augie

Postby bulldog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:09 pm

TAL1957 wrote:I know the Cape doesn't have a 100% completed roster before the college season starts but it is pretty darn close.

Augie,

You are correct in that summer league teams fill the majority of their roster during the fall for the upcoming season. It is quite a process as coaches need to be careful that they do not fill their rosters with juniors as juniors are draft eligible. Many of the summer coaches have pipelines to specific programs and they earmark kids to certain programs.
bulldog

Postby augie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:02 pm

bulldog wrote:
TAL1957 wrote:I know the Cape doesn't have a 100% completed roster before the college season starts but it is pretty darn close.

Augie,

You are correct in that summer league teams fill the majority of their roster during the fall for the upcoming season. It is quite a process as coaches need to be careful that they do not fill their rosters with juniors as juniors are draft eligible. Many of the summer coaches have pipelines to specific programs and they earmark kids to certain programs.

Bulldog, I wasn't sure if things changed from back in the day but 90% of the players back than knew where they were playing that summer before the season started. Sounds like that hasn't changed.
augie

Postby bulldog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm

bulldog wrote:Bulldog, I wasn't sure if things changed from back in the day but 90% of the players back than knew where they were playing that summer before the season started. Sounds like that hasn't changed.

Summer coaches act in the same way that college coaches do...they work to get many committments as soon as possible before the best players are taken. Although not all spot are filled, the majority of the summer team rosters are completed the fall before the season. There is always room for a late bloomer, and the draft also impacts summer baseball. The Cape and Alaska are so prestigous that they have connections to the major D1 programs. The Cape and Alaska coaches also follow the draft and look for high school drafed kids who go to college and potential guys. Certainly, guys like John Schiffner, 25 year head coach for Chatham of the Cape Cod league has a network of coaches and colleges he deals with.

I thought the article on Delaite was pretty neat. Here is a local kid, spent his whole life in Maine, getting to spend 6 to 8 weeks of his college experience in another part of the United States playing baseball.
bulldog

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics