Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Baseball: Trimper Leaving... Nick Derba named interim

Postby augie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:02 pm

BBOCFAN wrote:Head coach (person in charge) is always the fall guy, but Derba has been heavily involved as the assistant. Doesn’t matter if guilt by association or an explanation of Derba’s ideas / recommendations were just overlooked, it will be perceived and actually will be more of the same if a new head coach / leader aren’t introduced to the program. An assistant stepping in when the program is struggling is tough for everyone involved. At least a new coach can play the card “ I am still working with team prior coach put together” if results aren’t great to start. To clarify, this would make sense since two coaches could certainly view players and approach the games different ways. Derba was involved with putting this team together, so doesn’t have this option. I don’t mean this to be an attack on Derba. This is true for the majority of times an assistant is in this situation. Simply pointing at head coach isn’t an option. You are part of the group that could have turned program around, but didn’t . Specific to baseball, appears decision makers have been merciful. All depends if they’ve had enough I guess. If at all possible to achieve, name recognition will be important to send a message there is a goal to improve the program.
I know this may sound foolish, but is there a reason why USM couldn’t be used for the baseball D1 program since part of the state school system? I really don’t mean this as an insult, but the UMO baseball program is currently functioning as D1 in title only. Not even sure it is important what division the state school system refers to their primary program. In other words, USM could be the primary program at X division.
1. USM already has a great coach and talent established.
2. Maybe a campus 2.5 hours south would help (?). The weather is a little better for playing in spring (maybe not enough to make a difference), is closer to bigger populations, and has some nice fields available (Hadlock, OOB ballpark). All could possibly improve revenue, create some excitement for the program, and attract players not interested in traveling further north.
My thoughts probably show how little I know about how the state school program works, but sounds good on paper. Sorry if this is more nonsense than helpful.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Don't sugar coat it, say what you mean.
augie

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:49 am

University of Maine ‏@UMaine
#UMaine's baseball team practices in the field house in an undated photo.#ThrowbackThursday
picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C03w_JwUUAEjn8x.jpg
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby BBOCFAN » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:54 am

Augie,
Good point. A blunt way of stating is Derba isn't the guy. Appears this is known or at least in question since he is interim. If a lock, I'd expect he would have just been transitioned into head coach. This was a long way of saying I agree with prior post about someone new is needed. I appreciate you taking the time to read.
BBOCFAN

Postby augie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:57 am

BBOCFAN wrote:Augie,
Good point. A blunt way of stating is Derba isn't the guy. Appears this is known or at least in question since he is interim. If a lock, I'd expect he would have just been transitioned into head coach. This was a long way of saying I agree with prior post about someone new is needed. I appreciate you taking the time to read.

BBOFAN, I agree with you 100%. If the team goes out and makes a deep playoff run I would assume it'd be his to lose even with a national search. If he has a normal Trimper like season (around .500 ball and an early tourney exit) then he wont be considered IMO. Personally, I would love to see Mike Coutts get the job but we'll see.
augie

Postby bulldog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Naming a coach at this time of the year is no indication as to where a coach stands. With students returning in less than a month from when Trimper left, it only makes sense to move a senior assistant into the head coaching position. By giving the coach an interim tag allows the AD flexibility in his decision making process. The timing component is critical in the decision.

Now, the AD has time to evaluate the performance of the interim coach and it is much more than just wins and losses!
bulldog

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:00 pm

bulldog: Great, excellent and very intelligent post. Agree with everything you posted.

It made so much sense.

Creech should have done this with the Maine Mens Basketball Job and named assistant Doug Leischer as the interim head coach because it was so late. Doug was a top recruiter and a loyal coach for 9 years for Woodward.
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:59 pm

Are people really hoping the softball coach gets the job? Lol. This team is doomed.
mario_spaghettio

Postby augie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:Are people really hoping the softball coach gets the job? Lol. This team is doomed.

You obviously do not know Mike Coutts background.
augie

Postby thebam » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm

I find it sad and sorry, but not surprising that some of you are already talking about Coach Derba being replaced before he even coaches a game. Typical non support from some of you. Tommy Lasorda could coach baseball and you would not think it's good enough. How many games do you guys even attend in a typical year?
thebam

Postby augie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

thebam wrote:I find it sad and sorry, but not surprising that some of you are already talking about Coach Derba being replaced before he even coaches a game. Typical non support from some of you. Tommy Lasorda could coach baseball and you would not think it's good enough. How many games do you guys even attend in a typical year?

Do you think he will be the next head coach Bam? I've attended over 200+ in my lifetime but wtf does that matter? And to be clear I do not wish him to fail.
augie

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics