Baseball: 2017

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Baseball: Trimper Leaving... Nick Derba named interim

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Add me to the list of people completely surprised by Trimper getting that Stetson job. That place has a pretty strong tradition with several NCAA appearances, nice campus & location, many notable pro alums (most recent being Corey Kluber & Jacob deGrom), etc. All I can gather is that Trimper must have a previous relationship with the AD. Maine did play down there a couple years ago if memory serves me so maybe that was it.

Anyway, I would love to see Coutts finally get the job that should have been his 20 or so years ago in the first place. Probably won't happen, but I guess I can still hold out hope.

PF: Agree with you 100 percent. Coutts or Flaherty should have been named to replace Winkin.

As you said hope Mike gets the job if he wants it.
parquetfloor

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:53 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:16 am

Interim UMaine baseball coach to stress discipline, aggressiveness

... He is looking forward to the challenge of being in charge and isn’t concerned about having the interim tag attached to his job title.

“If we do our job, do it right and Karlton likes it, we’ll be back here [next year],” Derba said, referring to UMaine athletics director Karlton Creech.

He believes his time spent in the minor leagues helped him develop baseball knowledge and put him in situations where he faced frequent challenges and criticism.

“I was lucky enough to learn from what I think is the best organization in baseball and learning the Cardinal way is something that I hope we can instill here and kind of intertwine with the Black Bear way,” Derba said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/19/s ... ssiveness/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 am

parquetfloor wrote:Add me to the list of people completely surprised by Trimper getting that Stetson job. That place has a pretty strong tradition with several NCAA appearances, nice campus & location, many notable pro alums (most recent being Corey Kluber & Jacob deGrom), etc. All I can gather is that Trimper must have a previous relationship with the AD. Maine did play down there a couple years ago if memory serves me so maybe that was it.

Anyway, I would love to see Coutts finally get the job that should have been his 20 or so years ago in the first place. Probably won't happen, but I guess I can still hold out hope.

PF: Agree with you 100 percent. Coutts or Flaherty should have been named to replace Winkin.

As you said hope Mike gets the job if he wants it

OK, WTF????? How did someone (I assume Cim) edit MY post???!!! I even bolded the part that was added to my very own post.
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah, this editing of posts needs to stop. Are you trying to destroy your business Tom? :|
mainejeff

Postby augie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
parquetfloor wrote:Add me to the list of people completely surprised by Trimper getting that Stetson job. That place has a pretty strong tradition with several NCAA appearances, nice campus & location, many notable pro alums (most recent being Corey Kluber & Jacob deGrom), etc. All I can gather is that Trimper must have a previous relationship with the AD. Maine did play down there a couple years ago if memory serves me so maybe that was it.

As you said hope Mike gets the job if he wants it

OK, WTF????? How did someone (I assume Cim) edit MY post???!!! I even bolded the part that was added to my very own post.

I read your post yesterday and couldn't understand why you were agreeing with yourself. Now it makes more sense.
augie

Postby TheOneArmMan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:46 pm

I am assuming Tom accidently gave Cim more control than he should have. Cim usually posts replies with the person he is responding to at the start of it, so I think it is just a mistake on Cim's part to somehow be able to edits posts rather than reply to them

Onearmedman: I will from now on after this post to you.....reply only on post replies when replying. I did not edit or alter any of the posts that I responded to.

I can see why some are upset, but I did not touch, edit or change anything that they had written in their original posts.

My bad, and I apologize to any that feel offended as it was accidental..

CIM
TheOneArmMan

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:54 pm

I reset coaches user access to reduce that potential .. log shows it on 2 post.. no deletion by me ...
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:46 am

Washington Academy Graduate Feeney Leaving UMaine Baseball for USM

Former Washington Academy ace pitcher Gage Feeney is leaving the UMaine baseball program. He red-shirted for the Black Bears last season and didn’t look to see the ball much this spring. Gage is transferring to Southern Maine to continue his career on the diamond….

http://wabi.tv/2016/12/28/washington-ac ... l-for-usm/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby BBOCFAN » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 am

Head coach (person in charge) is always the fall guy, but Derba has been heavily involved as the assistant. Doesn’t matter if guilt by association or an explanation of Derba’s ideas / recommendations were just overlooked, it will be perceived and actually will be more of the same if a new head coach / leader aren’t introduced to the program. An assistant stepping in when the program is struggling is tough for everyone involved. At least a new coach can play the card “ I am still working with team prior coach put together” if results aren’t great to start. To clarify, this would make sense since two coaches could certainly view players and approach the games different ways. Derba was involved with putting this team together, so doesn’t have this option. I don’t mean this to be an attack on Derba. This is true for the majority of times an assistant is in this situation. Simply pointing at head coach isn’t an option. You are part of the group that could have turned program around, but didn’t . Specific to baseball, appears decision makers have been merciful. All depends if they’ve had enough I guess. If at all possible to achieve, name recognition will be important to send a message there is a goal to improve the program.
I know this may sound foolish, but is there a reason why USM couldn’t be used for the baseball D1 program since part of the state school system? I really don’t mean this as an insult, but the UMO baseball program is currently functioning as D1 in title only. Not even sure it is important what division the state school system refers to their primary program. In other words, USM could be the primary program at X division.
1. USM already has a great coach and talent established.
2. Maybe a campus 2.5 hours south would help (?). The weather is a little better for playing in spring (maybe not enough to make a difference), is closer to bigger populations, and has some nice fields available (Hadlock, OOB ballpark). All could possibly improve revenue, create some excitement for the program, and attract players not interested in traveling further north.
My thoughts probably show how little I know about how the state school program works, but sounds good on paper. Sorry if this is more nonsense than helpful.
BBOCFAN

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics