WBB: AE Championship Final vs Albany 3/10 4:30 PM

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: WBB: AE Championship Final vs Albany 3/10 4:30 PM

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:19 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Congratulations to Sigi Koizar and Blanca Millan who have been selected to the @AmericaEast All-Tournament Team #BlackBearNation
Pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6mCggvWwAAX2Q3.jpg
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:53 am

Albany overcomes slow start to beat UMaine for sixth straight America East title

...“The turnovers were a key. We turned it over too many times. And we gave up too many offensive rebounds. When you have 24 turnovers and they get 12 offensive rebounds and [nearly] 20 more shots than you do, those are tough stats to overcome,” Vachon added.

“They extended their zone and we didn’t do a good job attacking it,” said Koizar. “And the turnovers added up.”

UMaine led 16-6 after the first period but went 7:03 without a basket in the second quarter as the Great Danes used a 19-4 run to build a 25-20 lead before Koizar’s two free throws capped the first-half scoring.

UMaine missed its last eight field goal attempts of the half.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/10/s ... ast-title/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am

No one is complaining about Vachon except for Cimbollek.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am

mainejeff wrote:No one is complaining about Vachon except for Cimbollek.

MJ: I can take the heat. You have to take the good with the bad in this coaching racket. Part of the game for any of you experts that have NEVER COACHED.

Does the truth hurt?

Praise her when she does well and state the facts when she doesn't. She did not adjust her team to Albany"s increasing the fast tempo pace of the game from the beginning of the second quarter on.

In fact, I am sure she would tell you the same thing, as she is not that type of person or coach to put the blame on the players, like somebody else had a great tendency to do when they played poorly and lost.

Why do you think this team played better under Vachon then they did under Barron?????????????????????????????????????

I'm just telling it as I see it.

Really successful coaches give all the credit to their players when they win, take the blame when they lose.

Amy is a very successful coach and did a great job to get to the finals. Remember they had to beat Number 1 seed UNH to get to go to Albany.

I think if the game had been played at Bangor's CIC with 3000 cheering fans supporting them Maine would have won.

A little let down after upsetting UNH and a tough road game to boot.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Tournament observations.

Maine, as a four seed, had a far tougher path to the title than Albany had as a two. No surprise there. Maine's opponents averaged a 2.67 seed (5 + 1 + 2, divided by 3) while Albany's averaged 5.67 (7 + 6 + 4 divided by 3). That's a huge difference. Maine played two teams above its seed, Albany none. Albany got gigantic boosts when Hartford (6) upset UMBC (3) and Maine upset UNH (1). UMBC had beaten Albany twice during the regular season. This is not an excuse. Albany did what it had to do.

Albany got another break in the Hartford game when the referees lost control of the game, which happened roughly at the tipoff. Not that the referees gave Albany the game, but in losing control, they gave Albany's physical style an advantage. Hartford's short bench meant Albany could pound the Hawks at will all day, and the Hartford players just had to take it. No one on the bench to spell them. Still, Albany only won by two and even then a buzzer beater could have won it for Hartford.

Hartford upset UMBC and stayed in the Albany game because Darby Lee hit her first 12 shots (7/7 against UMBC) in the two games and because of the gutsy leadership of Deanna Mayza at point. Mayza richly deserved the all-tourney team (Tate, Trpcic, Mayza, Sigi, Blanca). She played all year with an injured meniscus. Her coach regularly spelled her, almost regardless of the game situation, and she delivered big time. Time after time, Mayza found the open man, put up her own shots and harassed Albany ball handlers. It was quite a performance. The head-to-head of two top points (McCarley vs. Mayza) in the first round went game, set, match to Mayza.

How long since the top seed played two games and placed no one on the all-tourney team? UNH managed it this year. In 2005, Maine had the one seed and no one made all-tourney, but Maine only played one game, being upset in the first round by BU (the one in Boston).

The Albany team that Maine played in February and March was not the Albany team Maine had beaten in January. Tate had just come back from injury in January -- still she dropped 32 that day -- and the team had struggled to fit the pieces together after the coach, the star (Richards, graduated) and the solid, quiet leader (Zakiya Saunders) all left. Tate scored at will that day, but the rest of the team pretty much just watched as Blanca and Tanesha put on a show. By February, Albany had gelled, and the mighty mite McKenzie Trpcic had come into her own. Albany may have been the best team in the conference by the beginning of February. If Saunders had stayed in Albany rather than following the coach to Orlando for her final year of eligibility, Albany might have dominated the conference from the get-go.

Only a Game, the Public Radio sports show, had a great feature this morning on America East (men's side). Good thing, too, since the conference covered itself in doo-doo on the women's side. How do you play a championship game on national television without a scoreboard??? Come on, guys, does anyone here know how to do this? Much of the 30 minutes up to the tipoff, with the scoreboard dark, a knot of men stood around the scorers table talking and shaking their heads. Didn't see anyone following cords to check connections, etc., but I trust someone did. By the fourth quarter, even the shot clocks had gone out. And, the conference had no programs printed for the six games in Portland. Fortunately, the Press Herald had put together a 16-page tabloid with all the lineups, and it was free. At Albany yesterday, an hour before the game, someone showed up with one small box of programs with lineups and write-ups for all eight teams. And it cost $3. At halftime, it looked like barely half had sold. At 5:00 of the fourth, during a dead ball, the ESPN guy stood up and called a media time out. The official Mark Resch looked like he was refusing to call it, but the commercials may have already been rolling out in TV land. Resch came over to the scorers table and the crowd could hear him barking at the ESPN guy: "It's the first dead ball inside five minutes. That's the rule." TV watchers missed this exchange, but those of us in the hall saw it loud and clear. I doubt the boost from the Public Radio program made up for the screw-ups of the lack of scoreboard and the lack of programs or the confusion over forced timeouts. How much does AE pay the commissioner to make sure everything works?

Portland's smallest crowd was a hair fewer than 1,000 for two games that had no local (Maine, UNH) teams. Albany yesterday drew 1,231 for the championship. So, Albany turned out 300 more people for a championship game in a metro area that is almost as populous as the entire state of Maine (1.2 million Albany, 1.3 million Maine) and whose home team is defending its title. Jeesh. Bingo's largest crowd last year was 900 for two games that involved all three New York teams (Albany vs. Bingo, Maine vs. Stony Brook). The commissioner did speak well of the support AE got in Portland. Not sure she knew how to get herself there, but at her level, you can always hire a driver. Or take the Concord bus.

Albany deserved to win. It was the better team against Vermont and Maine, and it capitalized on the situation against Hartford. The home court, even with three-quarters of the seats empty, was an advantage in the final. I wonder whether in the old days (before ESPN began calling the shots) of the three-day, single-site tournament Maine's emotional charge from the UNH game might have carried over into an Albany game the next day. As it was, the team had to return to an empty campus, then three days later ride out to Albany. It may be tougher to re-create an emotional high than to maintain it. Albany, on the other hand, left Portland with a sigh of relief for having escaped an ambush, and could work on building momentum for just one game. As Geno Auriemma says, the key to winning a tournament is to win the game you play badly, and every team plays one game badly in a tournament. In a three-day tournament, Maine, with its long bench, might have had a bit of an advantage.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
turkeyman

Postby zonid » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Bob Neal, you are a treasure. Thank you for your insights.

Also important to note is that the game in Albany was very, very physical and very few fouls were called. That was to Albany's favor, big time!

Still, Albany was unquestionably the better team. Reflecting back, this was a strange season for Maine. If you had told us in November before seeing the team play that we would knock off 15-1, #1 UNH in the semi's and lose to a surging Albany on their home court in the finals, most of us would have nodded and said "sounds about right, not bad". If you would have told us that Barron would leave the team in January and Sigi would miss games with a nagging injury then we would have jumped at what this team did in March.

The strange part is that at times, this team looked exceedingly good. Knocking off Big 10 Tournament runner up Purdue by 20 and mid-major power Chattanooga on a neutral court set our expectations higher than they were going into the season. Losses at UVM, UMBC etc. made us pull our hair out because the team looked downright terrible offensively. I guess the hallmark of a young team is true. There are a lot of ups and downs.

The next three years are going to have a lot more ups than downs. The team will struggle getting used to playing without Sigi but there is too much returning talent throughout this roster to not improve. UNH will again be good, Binghamton will be solid. Albany should be solid as well but they lose Tate and don't bring back a fraction of what Maine brings back. I expect UNH will be picked first with Maine picked second. If the freshman make the same jump that Sigi made in between her freshman and sophomore years, look out.
zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Bob: Another great post. You have the best knowledge and feel the pulse of the Women's basketball program then anyone here on MBR.

Agree with your entire post, nothing I could find that I didn't agree with.

I would say that if the game had been played in Bangor at the Cross center that Maine might have pulled the upset as they always seem to play better at home, just look at their W-L record at home this season.

Always told my high school teams going into a 8 team takes 3 games to win tournament that the secret to winning such a tournament format is to be able to play poorly one game and still survive.

The sign of a good team is to be able to play poorly and still win despite yourself.

Albany did that against Hartford with a little help from their friends it seemed on that very basketbrawl of a game of bullyball. Advantage/disadvantage for calling fouls which is the college philosphy is one thing, but out right muggings are another thing and certainly was the sixth man for Albany..

Again thanks for all of your observational posts this season, they made me see the program from a different very insightful and knowledgeable perspective.

Thanks again.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks Bob Neal for the terrific review of the tourney.
mainejeff

Postby zonid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 am

And here is the next troll to ruin this board. I expect Tom will do nothing.

Coming here is a chore at this point. I'm done. The quicker Maine fans realize this is a board to discuss UMaine sports on a site permeated by non-UMaine fans and NOT a UMaine fan board the better. I'm done. Best of luck in this den of vipers.
zonid

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 am

Maybe MaineMike is connected to TJC of Albany? Funny how he only showed up on this board AFTER Maine lost to Albany. :roll:

This board does suck now...but it's the only forum for UM sports. :| We really have no choice at this point. It is full of people that hate UM...to the point of almost being obsessed with it. :| Oh well...just have to deal with the bums.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics