MBB: AE Tourney at Vermont 3/1

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: MBB: at Binghamton 2/25

Postby aechamps » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Woodward still has recruits left on this team....Pirovic, Reid-Knight and Beal and maybe Melmed?
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm

aechamps wrote:Woodward still has recruits left on this team....Pirovic, Reid-Knight and Beal and maybe Melmed?

aechamps: THat is correct. My bad, thanks for the help.
bcbc55

Postby imposter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am

FYI
Doug Leichner is currently head coach of the Orlando Waves ABA pro team.
imposter

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Mainebballer wrote:bcbc55 ...
1) You can agree, or disagree on Maine players getting a year of prep and turning from mediocre college-level players into D-I contributors. But, it rarely happens. Name some from Maine who have ever made that transformation.
Support your contention with facts, not unsubstantiated generalizations.

2) Being a gym rat does not make a D-I basketball player.
Picking guys out of rec play and expecting them to be even competitive practice players... You should know better. If you don't, I strongly question your basketball perspective.
Maybe you can find rec players who could have sat the bench for your high school teams. But, you won't ever find one capable of being even semi-competitive on the D-I level.
For you to even think that speaks volumes.

3) Maine's own website reports the 2009-10 season's record as 19-11.
Here it is: http://www.americaeast.com/fls/14000/me ... /maine.htm

4) If you don't watch practices to see what goes on in terms of individual skill development, then you don't really know what's going on.
And, you claim there are no players left from Woodward's time. Again, wrong.

5) And, I have connections that indicate Maine did as extensive a search as possible.
Why wasn't Leischer considered? Could it be because the men's staff, of which he was a part, was just fired?
Do you honestly think an ass't coach who was part of an entire staff's dismissal was going to get considered?
Your "guy," Leischer isn't even coaching in the U.S. any longer.

6) Markwood? You think any AE school was going to hire an assistant coach from another AE school? C'mon. That wasn't happening, not when there was a very successful D-III head coach available.
Caruso? D-III Husson, as you well know, is about as low as it gets for college hoops. RIC a better program, better league.
You tell me why Caruso didn't get an interview.
And, Lesure? Again, no D-I program is ever going to hire a coach directly from a high school or prep program to take over a team.

7) You're the one who claimed there to be enough players from Maine for 8 of them to be in the program at one time. You're the one who needs to support your generalization. You've tried a couple of times and have come up with only a bunch of D-II players. We'll leave you to find the four-year time frame that produced 8 legit D-I players from our great state.
Here's your task for today, considering you think you think there could be 8 Maine-produced players right now who could be playing for our state school: IDENTIFY 8 who have graduated since 2013 who would be on your roster.

8) Yeah, you'd do a better job!!! Pardon me while I chuckle. You do know that there's far more to running a D-I program than what you see on the court ...
And, you'd be better with 8 Maine players?
You're a good high school coach, but never had to deal with recruiting, with preparing lengthy/detailed scouting reports, with community relations, with the myriad of other things related to the job.
Be honest ... Do you seriously think you could do it?
Do you think any high school coach could step directly from that level into D-I coaching. Name one who has ever done it.

I enjoy the back and forth, too. But, would prefer to do it with someone who actually has some perspective on life in college basketball. Your "expertise" is on the high school level.
Your opinions, for the most part, are disproven by facts.
And, it appears, I'm not the only one with that opinion.

maineballer; There is always a first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Mainebballer wrote:bcbc55 ... yes, always a first time.
But, expecting something to happen that never happened before is just wishful thinking.
Particularly when it comes to D-I basketball.

Maineballer: Kind of like UMaine men never making the "BIG DANCE", right? Just wishful thinking?
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:58 am

Maine Basketball‏@BlackBearMBB
Maine gets ready to wrap up the regular season at Binghamton. Preview/Game Notes: http://bit.ly/2lECBEV
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 am

Men's Basketball Steals Win in Regular Season Finale, 72-71 over Binghamton
The Black Bears took the lead with 45 seconds left, and made their free-throws to seal the victory.

VESTAL, New York - The Black Bears went into Binghamton with a four-game conference losing streak, but came out with a one-point victory over the Bearcats, 72-71, looking to ride that momentum into the America East tournament.

Andrew Fleming led all Maine scorers with 17 points, nine rebounds, six assists, two blocks and three steals in the victory. He shot 3-5 from the free-throw line.

Austin Howard, who hit the eventual go-ahead basket with 45 seconds left, finished with 14 points, one rebound, and two assists. Ryan Bernstein finished with 13 points, four assists on no turnovers, and a steal; he hit two key free throws late to seal the win.

Maine opened up to a big lead quick, leading 13-6 with 15:19 remaining on a dunk from Vincent Eze assisted by Andrew Fleming. The Bearcats would then tie it back up with 9:25 remaining in the first, and would go on to take a five point lead. Maine came back to tie it up 26-26 with 4:18 remaining on an Austin Howard jumper. Both teams traded jumpers to end the half, with Binghamton on top 32-31 at the break.

Andrew Fleming opened up the second half hitting two free throws to take the lead, and then would put them up even more 35-32 on a layup with 19:22 remaining. Binghamton re-took the lead with 18:14 remaining with a 36-35 lead. Binghamton would finally pull away after more lead changes, with 14:14 remaining they led 45-44 and eventually went on a run to lead 53-44 with 11:51 left. The lead would grow to 62-52 with 8:10 remaining.

Down but not out, Maine went on a run to eventually tie the game at 4:27 remaining at 64-64 as Ilija Stojilkovic threw down a pass from Andrew Fleming. A Binghamton basket would give them the lead 66-64, but Fleming tied it up again with 3:12 remaining at 66-all. After hitting 1-2 free throws, Binghamton led by one point, 67-66 with 1:10 left. Austin Howard's pull up jumper would give Maine the lead with 45 seconds left, 68-67. After a huge defensive stop with a steal by Fleming, Howard hit two free throws to preserve Maine's lead, followed by Bernstein's two free throws. After two Binghamton free throws, with the score 72-71 Maine, the Black Bears were able to inbound the ball and break the press, and despite the missed layup by Fleming, time expired, giving Maine their third conference win of the season.

The Black Bears will travel to Vermont on Wednesday, March 1st as the #8 seed to face #1 seeded Vermont in the first round of the America East tournament, tip-off at 7:00pm.

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/2 ... amton.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 am

The Black Bears will travel to Vermont on Wednesday, March 1st as the #8 seed to face #1 seeded Vermont in the first round of the America East tournament, tip-off at 7:00pm
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB: at Vermont 3/1

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 am

upcoming: AE Tourney

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1, 2017
MBB at University of Vermont 7:00 PM
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB: AE Tourney at Vermont 3/1

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 am

Fleming, others hungry for chance in America East Tournament

... "Our approach can't change based on what's happening around us," Walsh said. "And I think our guys are starting to understand that. We've got some tough kids who are willing to battle, and that's always a good sign."

- http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/18 ... tournament

- http://wgme.com/sports/content/fleming- ... 02-28-2017

- http://bangordailynews.com/2017/02/27/s ... cognition/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics