MBB: AE Tourney at Vermont 3/1

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

MBB: at Binghamton 2/25

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 pm

mainejeff wrote:Did the seniors play on Senior Day? Who was honored? :oops:

Can someone put this Sh*t Show out of its misery? It's really become quite an embarrassment. :oops: :oops: :oops:

mainejeff: Only if Ward is a senior. Beal and Reid-Knight injuries and Pirovic indefinite suspension.

THis program was downhill from the very start. "WALSH's ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN HIS WORDS".

Downhill and transparency faded the further it went downhill to where it is now...17-73 in 2 Plus seasons not very pretty.
bcbc55

Re: MBB: at Binghamton 2/25

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 am

upcoming this week:

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 25, 2017
MBB at Binghamton University 2:00 PM
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

*YAWN*

This is a joke of a program right now. Wake me up when they have a new coach and an all-new line-up. 2025 maybe? :roll:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 pm

mainejeff wrote:*YAWN*

This is a joke of a program right now. Wake me up when they have a new coach and an all-new line-up. 2025 maybe? :roll:

MJ: Yeah, don't hold our breaths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a waste of our tax dollars. If we were in this mess with just Maine kids at least the scholarship money would be staying in state and benefiting Maine's students/athletes.

Hire a Maine born AD, to hire a Maine born Men's BB Coach (salaries money stays in state) who will recruit 2 Maine born players each year. 8 on roster 2 out and 2 in each year and then recruit 3 players a year that you need position wise that Maine does not provide (usually Bigs).

Then have campus walk on tryouts for the remainder of squad of 14 and that gives the coach 3 schollies available when the right timing and occasion arises for transfers.

The Mainer couldn't do much worse and probably would keep their noses clean.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 am

bcbc55 wrote: What a waste of our tax dollars. If we were in this mess with just Maine kids at least the scholarship money would be staying in state and benefiting Maine's students/athletes.

Hire a Maine born AD, to hire a Maine born Men's BB Coach (salaries money stays in state) who will recruit 2 Maine born players each year. 8 on roster 2 out and 2 in each year ...

Then have campus walk on tryouts for the remainder of squad of 14 ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now there's a diatribe we have not heard from bcbc before. You forgot to mention that it should be a HC not only born in Maine, :roll: ... but also selected from the current Maine HS ranks ?? Should also get rid of all non-Maine born administraors and professors !! Close The Border and Build That Wall Mr. Governor !!! :lol: :roll:
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote: What a waste of our tax dollars. If we were in this mess with just Maine kids at least the scholarship money would be staying in state and benefiting Maine's students/athletes.

Hire a Maine born AD, to hire a Maine born Men's BB Coach (salaries money stays in state) who will recruit 2 Maine born players each year. 8 on roster 2 out and 2 in each year ...

Then have campus walk on tryouts for the remainder of squad of 14 ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now there's a diatribe we have not heard from bcbc before. You forgot to mention that it should be a HC not only born in Maine, :roll: ... but also selected from the current Maine HS ranks ?? Should also get rid of all non-Maine born administraors and professors !! Close The Border and Build That Wall Mr. Governor !!! :lol: :roll:

TAL my olde buddy. IT could also be a successful Maine born D-3 coach: Do you know of any, I do.

Speaking of walls.....here is an important one.

Even "HEAVEN has a wall, a gate and extreme vetting to get
in".

Hey, I see you have got a new fiend here on the UM D-1 thread...Mr. Mainebballer who paints everybody with his broad brush about being no nothings.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

bcbc55 wrote: Hey, I see you have got a new fiend here on the UM D-1 thread...Mr. Mainebballer ....
Hmmm, nice turn of phrase there on the "fiend" reference, even if it was unintentional and just another typo. Guess that means there are now two of us "fiends" on here.?? ;) :o :lol:
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote: Hey, I see you have got a new fiend here on the UM D-1 thread...Mr. Mainebballer ....
Hmmm, nice turn of phrase there on the "fiend" reference, even if it was unintentional and just another typo. Guess that means there are now two of us "fiends" on here.?? ;) :o :lol:

TAL1967" Could be a typo or could be 2 Maine "Basketball fiends" your choice either could be appropriate.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Mainebballer wrote:I am honored to be a "fiend" alongside Mr. Tal1967, a rare poster in forums like those who "get it."

I certainly am not "painting everyone" with the broad brush of "know-nothings." But, there are some here that qualify, and they're easy to locate.

And, there's this from bcbc55: "Recruit 2 Maine born players each year, 8 on roster 2 out and 2 in each year."
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, considering there has never been an era in the history of basketball in our state when there were 8 legit D-I contributors within a four-year time frame.

Oh, and "have campus walk on tryouts for the remainder of the squad of 14..."

That would mean players 9-through-14 would basically be intramural-level players. That makes a lot of sense, too, right?

mainebballer: Nothing else has worked in the history of the men's basketball history getting to the big dance.

1. 2012-2016.....Time Frame
Hyland-Shaw-Furness-McFarland-Cimino-Bouchard-Thomas-Z.Gilpin-Barr-Faithful- all in 4 year time frame

2. players 9-10-11 Scholarships to players from out-of-state or international players to fill needs the Maine players don't....didn't you understand that

3. 3 walk ons..always have been players playing in the old field house an at the new rec center that were as good as some of the tail end the recruited scholarship players Maine has had at anytime

I would rather lose this way then the way we have since we had 3 Mainers starting and could have had 2 others good to enough to start as one was starting before he left 2009-10 last winning season at Maine 19-10 that I mentioned before. McNally-Garner-Barnies-EL-Bernal-Hyde-Scoboy-Houlton & Bangor all were starters in 2008-09 and Cooke-Hampden. left the year before.

Also, there is a thing called the development of players which Maine has not done since Dr. G left.

There is also a thing called excellent coaching which Maine has not had since Dr. G. left.

Woodward and Walsh, must be because their names begin with W have somethings in common.

1. both got the jobs real late without doing a good solidto have a good solid search of Maine coaches that we have in the high school, prep school, D-3 college or Mainers who are assistant coaches in the out-of-state ranks.

If you were going to hire late (and not go interim) then at least hire Maine coaches who can coach and not "the two supervisors of substitutions they have had the past 2 hires.

Any players (not including the international players) that are coming from other states in the country who come to Maine are not that good enough to go somewhere else D-1 in the country or if they have the talent then they are bring along some kind of basketball baggage ala suspensions or they transfer out ala Vann, Little, Eke, Harewood and they must have been talented players as they all moved up quite away fro a 300 plus RPI program to a pre-season ranked programs Vann VCU 36th, Little-Colorado 56 and Eke Rider 200. Harewood went JUCO and by the way he was the only player on last years roster that did not play a year of prep school after high school so lst year they were not as young as they looked.

Like I have said before if Maine was a private institution then who cares, but it is our tax dollars that are being wasted on non Mainers including all the players and coaching staff, when we could be as successful as what has happened since the 2009-10 season by using 8 Mainers and a Mainer as the head coach.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Mainebballer wrote:bcbc55 ... Where do we begin.
First, I recognize your success at the high school level. Admirable work.
But, Division I basketball is a different world.

OK, let's start here:

1) You prove my point, once again, about the lack of D-I talent in Maine.
Hyland, Shaw, Bouchard, Z. Gilpin, Furness, McFarland ... all Bentley. That's D-II.
There's a reason why they were at the D-II level. It's because, for a variety of reasons, they weren't good enough to play D-I.
Put them together and let them be the top six at Maine, and you're likely looking at a winless season.
Cimino could play at Maine, but wouldn't be much of a factor. Very little playing time at GW, transferred down to Patriot League's American Univ.
Barr was a 2010 Davidson grad, so he doesn't fit into your 2012-16 time frame.
Like I said, you prove my point.

2) OK, my misunderstanding of how you want to fill roster spots 12-13-14. But, with walk ons?
Those last few spots need players capable of being competitive daily vs. starters in practice. No walk ons at Maine will ever do that.

3) You're going to find recreation players at the old field house or the new rec center as good as recruited scholarship players?
Maybe guys who could have played on your high school teams, but not D-I players.
You know better. Or, you should.

And, let's stick to facts. The 2008-09 team with the Maine players you identify finished 9-21.
The 2009-10 team that finished 19-11 (not 19-10, as you indicated) had a very minor Maine presence.
McNally was the second leading scorer, Barnies was the 6th-leading score. And, that's it!
Jon McAllian, a Maine product, contributed 5 total points. Ryan Martin, another Maine product, is listed on the roster but didn't play a single game.

- Player development? How would you know? Were you there when current upperclass players showed up as freshmen and can compare what they are now? Are you there every day at practice to see how much individual skill development is stressed? Or, are your observations made from an occasional game attendance in row 35, or from TV viewing?

- Walsh isn't a good coach? Again, how would you know? Are you there every day at practice to see what he does? He did very well at RIC, a D-III program. At that level, actual coaching is far more important than at the D-I level.
And, you cite the 2009-10 team's success ... who coached that team?

- How do you know Maine didn't do an extensive search for a coach? These things happen behind proverbial closed doors. Considering what Maine pays, you can surmise that the pool of interested candidates wasn't as extensive as it would be if, say, Duke's job opened up.

You want to bring in an assistant from out of state. How about naming possibilities, rather than a blanket generalization?
Or, you want a high school or prep school coach?
Be perfectly honest. You were a high school coach. Do you really think you could have stepped into the Maine coaching job directly from high school and handled the job?

So, a few players transferred out to play at higher levels. It happens. So, your answer is to just stop recruiting out-of-state players? Again, you've shown that there aren't enough of them. And, they have baggage? That's another unsubstantiated generalization.

That Maine is a state school is meaningless. North Carolina is a state school. How many N.C. natives play there? UConn, Kansas, etc., etc.
A visible athletic program is meant to be a window to the school. It helps if the program wins. Maine struggles to win because it has a variety of impediments: Extremely low budget for basketball, a lousy location, a low-level league, a lack of major courses of study compared to many other mid-majors ... etc., etc. The impediments far outweigh the benefits of attending Maine.
So, your solution is to stock the roster with 8 Maine players. Yet, you've proven that there has never, in the history of basketball, been eight decent D-I level players from Maine in any four-year period.

Oh, and there's the Maine women: 26 victories last year, fueled by a very strong foreign presence.
This year's Maine women's team is doing as well as can be expected by an extremely young roster, including 9 foreign players.
I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Mainebballer99: Let me try to answer all of your questions.

1. just disagree about the D-1 potential of Maine high schoolers and with a year of prep school who knows and besides if we are going to lose then lose with Maine kids and keep the schollie money in Maine

2. They have in the past and there has always been good gym rats that played in the Field House/now rec enter

3. The Maine record book that I have says it was 19-10

4. All I have to do is watch Maine play and their poor shot selection tells the whole story, no inside outside game just letting the players decide who shoots,when they shoot and where they shoot from. I don't need to watch their practices because whatever he is wanting them to do is certainly not working or the players are not doing what he wants them too...it's his problem and resonisibility.....nobody elses. He recruited these players didn't he? There are none left from Woodward are there?

5. I have a friend who is very, very close to the president that is know why and how they went about not hiring Doug and hiring Walsh.

6. How about Markwood, South Portland and Assistant at Vermont and Northeastern currently and he played at Maine after transferring back to Maine from ND

Or how about Warren Caruso at D-3 Husson or Coach Lesure at Bridgton Academy

7.It is only your opinion that there has never been 8 Mainers in a 4 YEAR CYCLE

8. I couldn't do any worse a job then Walsh has after watching him doing more officiating, supervising substitutions, yelling at his players, and letting the players run the show offensively, during games then trying to coach?????, for the past 2 plus seasons going 17-73 and would do it with 8 Maine players 2 out of state position needs/international players and 3 walk ons.

So we will just have to agree to disagree, but have enjoyed the back and forth.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics