MBB: 2016-17 Rebuilding seeks stability, upward mobility

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: MBB: Exhibitions This Weekend

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:11 pm

you mentioned, "People development and player development are areas in which you are probably extremely weak, but are the key areas to REAL coaching." as well as "building talent and building character by rolling up your sleeves and doing the work"...forgive me if I read between the lines a bit, I don't think characterizing that as a focus on team building is off-base at all, considering building a strong team means focusing on people development and hard work, among other things.

for what it's worth, I am well aware that I can be callous/cold and snarky at times...well most of the time...however there's nothing wrong with stating what you see from a player while not making it personal.

for example, Ryan Bernstein seems like EXACTLY the kind of player you want on your team. extremely hard worker, competes all the time, does gritty stuff, he's fairly athletic/quick twitch, and hopefully his shooting improves...but what I see isn't the fact that he seems to do the right things on the court, and instead choose to look at the output statistics like ORtg and DRtg which paint a much darker picture. He flat shouldn't have been on the floor with TRK last year, objectively, based on numerous statistics and the eye test. With that being said, I probably didn't do as good a job last year separating his performance, his personal qualities, and Walsh's coaching decisions, and for that he probably deserves an apology, though he probably doesn't care if he were to read this.
UMaineSuperfan

Rating the UMaine Men's 2016-17 Newcomers & Returnees

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:26 pm

Go to my CIM'S Blog here on MBR under University of Maine D-1 if you're interested in these ratings.
bcbc55

Postby 97Alum » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:28 am

97Alum, I understand that this is your opinion, to which you have an absolute right. I personally disagree that Mitch is "awful" and that he might not even be capable of competing at "D3." But more important I wonder where a comment like this comes from. Even if it were true, why would you go out of your way to express it publicly about someone whose a pretty good guy? It just seems over the top. Just my opinion.

As for 97, he has issues. He needs to understand that toughness is being able to exercise restraint, not letting your mouth run about decent people without cause. Of all the players on that team to mention in a critical way, it seems he has an agenda.

So is your complaint that I was wrong in my assessment and Mitch Worcester is a capable D3 player and he looked great Saturday? Or is your complaint that I was mean to Mitch Worcester and I should be complimentary to him based on him being a nice guy?

I never commented on his likeablity - he could be a fantastic person, someone you'd love to have marry your daughter, or run your company, or be elected Senator. My comment was he didn't look like a very good basketball player Saturday.

Are we only supposed to be critical of people you don't like? Does personally always get added to the mix regarding people's critiques?

How do we know who the nice people are that we can't evaluate?
97Alum

Postby kgbasics » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 am

UMaineSuperfan wrote:you mentioned, "People development and player development are areas in which you are probably extremely weak, but are the key areas to REAL coaching." as well as "building talent and building character by rolling up your sleeves and doing the work"...forgive me if I read between the lines a bit, I don't think characterizing that as a focus on team building is off-base at all, considering building a strong team means focusing on people development and hard work, among other things.

for what it's worth, I am well aware that I can be callous/cold and snarky at times...well most of the time...however there's nothing wrong with stating what you see from a player while not making it personal.

for example, Ryan Bernstein seems like EXACTLY the kind of player you want on your team. extremely hard worker, competes all the time, does gritty stuff, he's fairly athletic/quick twitch, and hopefully his shooting improves...but what I see isn't the fact that he seems to do the right things on the court, and instead choose to look at the output statistics like ORtg and DRtg which paint a much darker picture. He flat shouldn't have been on the floor with TRK last year, objectively, based on numerous statistics and the eye test. With that being said, I probably didn't do as good a job last year separating his performance, his personal qualities, and Walsh's coaching decisions, and for that he probably deserves an apology, though he probably doesn't care if he were to read this.

Tow things.
1) Your definition of "team building" is outside the norm. Team building is an issue of bonding and getting players to respect and enjoy one another. People development is teaching the life lessons through example and through rules, such as running sprints for being late so that the player understands that he isn't more important than the team, or imposing a penalty for losing composure which could hurt the team while in competition.

2) Criticism of players is fine. I think that some of us can get carried away on this forum when we're anonymous. This isn't someone's living room. This is a public venue. I doubt that 97 would have the gall to say that Mitch was "terrible" and doubt his ability to play D3 in front of Mitch or his family. If he would do that, I think it would further clarify his character.

Talking about a player's limitations is one thing. Using derogatory language while hiding under an anonymous name is gutless and the act of a coward. I'm not sure why you're defending his actions.
kgbasics

Postby kgbasics » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:57 am

97Alum wrote:
97Alum, I understand that this is your opinion, to which you have an absolute right. I personally disagree that Mitch is "awful" and that he might not even be capable of competing at "D3." But more important I wonder where a comment like this comes from. Even if it were true, why would you go out of your way to express it publicly about someone whose a pretty good guy? It just seems over the top. Just my opinion.

As for 97, he has issues. He needs to understand that toughness is being able to exercise restraint, not letting your mouth run about decent people without cause. Of all the players on that team to mention in a critical way, it seems he has an agenda.

So is your complaint that I was wrong in my assessment and Mitch Worcester is a capable D3 player and he looked great Saturday? Or is your complaint that I was mean to Mitch Worcester and I should be complimentary to him based on him being a nice guy?

I never commented on his likeablity - he could be a fantastic person, someone you'd love to have marry your daughter, or run your company, or be elected Senator. My comment was he didn't look like a very good basketball player Saturday.

Are we only supposed to be critical of people you don't like? Does personally always get added to the mix regarding people's critiques?

How do we know who the nice people are that we can't evaluate?

You don't even accurately depict your own post. Not uncommon for someone like you I suppose.

It's one thing to say something like this, "The player experienced difficulty getting open looks and penetrating with the ball against the D1 opponent." That's a far cry from simply saying he's "terrible." There is a big difference between constructively criticizing a single player who you've focused on and using derogatory language to tear someone down. To characterize Mitch as "terrible" only makes you look like a fool. How many games have you seen Mitch play in college? How many of those games were D3 opponents?

I'm sure some of the other posters might like you to post some video from when you played. That might be fun for some people.

The issue is that you can't seem to comprehend the difference from being constructively critical with being degrading.
kgbasics

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 am

your quibble is with my semantics then, not with reading comprehension. I said team building, you meant building a team...same difference. we are talking about the same basic things. maybe read through a few of my posts before accusing me of not having good reading comprehension skills.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 am

I remember seeing Mitch Worcester on Northwoods Law.
mainejeff

Postby kgbasics » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:46 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:your quibble is with my semantics then, not with reading comprehension. I said team building, you meant building a team...same difference. we are talking about the same basic things. maybe read through a few of my posts before accusing me of not having good reading comprehension skills.

Sorry, I read your posts. "Team building" and "Building a team" are in fact, two different things.

Example: A general manager of a pro sports franchise helps to "build a team." High schools aren't technically supposed to build teams like colleges and pros do. High schools are supposed to work with the students in their schools and recruiting is not supposed to be a factor. We all know that recruiting is a factor in the success of many teams over the years. Recruiting and drafting are methods to "build a team."

"Team building" is an act of attempting to get players to bond so that they then support each other, trust each other and rely on each other. Rather than a "team" of players who are more interested in their individual accomplishments. They are two very different things. Like other words in our language, the word "team" can have more than one context. You can call it semantics, but I don't know of a single coach that thinks of "team building" in a different context than the one I defined.

"Player development" is the act of teaching, building or improving three primary things...
1) Physical fitness
2) Physical skill set
3) Mental skill set

"People development" is the act of
1) Teaching the goal setting process from the beginning to end.
2) Teaching, reinforcing and following through with the commitment each player makes when they are part of a team and representing a school/community.
kgbasics

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:05 pm

it's all close enough. it doesn't matter that i used a slightly different term. your assertion was that I was incapable of focusing on things like player development, etc. i value all of those things. simple as that.
UMaineSuperfan

Re: MBB: 2016-17

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Lavar Harewood made his junior college debut last night leading Cloud County College to a win with a team high 19 points including 4- 3's off the bench. Interesting note on Cloud County...former Lee Academy player Cherif Fall is also a Sophomore on the team. Fall is an athletic 6'8 210 lb Forward who played on the team that lost to Houlton in the Northern Maine Class C title game a couple of years ago. Fall recently commited to Coppin St.
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics