MBB: 2016-17 Rebuilding seeks stability, upward mobility

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: MBB: Exhibitions This Weekend

Postby Media » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:32 am

Guards taking on leadership roles for UMaine women’s, men’s basketball teams

BANGOR, Maine — Sigi Koizar and Aaron Calixte, guards on the University of Maine women’s and men’s basketball teams, respectively, will be taking on a demanding challenge this season.

Koizar of Vienna, Austria, and Calixte of Stoughton, Massachusetts, will be asked to lead teams with a sizeable list of newcomers or inexperienced players.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/10/25/s ... all-teams/
Media

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

just went to the Umaine website to see if there would be video for the Husson game, and currently it's listed as only having live stats...it's 2016 let's get video for all the games, folks.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:11 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:just went to the Umaine website to see if there would be video for the Husson game, and currently it's listed as only having live stats...it's 2016 let's get video for all the games, folks.

UMSF: Agree, but I have gotten free tickets so I will attend the game. Maybe they are not just videoing the exhibition games.

Interested in seeing how my Alma Mata Husson stacks up against Maine.

Back when Coach Dr. John G. was at Maine Husson defeated Maine at the gun 73-72 in the opening exhibition game at the Alfond.

Last year's exhibition game, Husson stayed with Maine at the CIC for about 3/4's' of the game. Big difference in that game was Husson had no defensive matchup for Gloger as he had 22 points.

If Gloger hadn't played Husson probably would have beat them or if Gloger was playing for Husson instead of Maine they definitely would have beaten Maine by double figures. If I remember correctly Husson lost by 14 point 93-79.

Maine leads all time series 4 wins to 1 loss.

Two years ago Walsh's first year USM beat Maine at Gorham in the opening exhibition game. Last year Maine got even defeating USM at USM in the opening exhibition game.

How about the year back awhile during the regular season that USM beat UMaine at the "PIT" and then Maine turned around and beat Michigan State in their next game at the Bangor Auditorium.

Next exhibition game for the UMaine men is for Saturday, November 5th against UMaine at Fort Kent at the "PIT" @ 30 minutes after the home football game and game is listed for only covering live stats too.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 am

Maine Basketball ‏@BlackBearMBB
PREVIEW: Black Bears host Husson Sat. Oct. 29 at 2 pm for first preseason action of 2016-17

Details: http://bit.ly/2eHaT6z
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby MBRer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:44 am

Maine Basketball ‏@BlackBearMBB
Our players have some quirks! First game is this Sat, Oct 29th @2pm vs Husson. You can come see Marko's man bun for yourself...

video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearMBB/status ... 2793226241
MBRer

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:55 pm

halftime stats in the image attached. http://imgur.com/a/haL9U

Myers, Eze, Pirovic, Fleming, Calixte, Evans all with decent first halves.

Bernstein, Er driving the struggle bus at the half.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Blind Zebra » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:51 pm

My takeaway from the game...Maine put up 108 points on a D3 team thaat is very young and may be headed for a down year. Husson has no one over 6'5 on the roster and only 2 players McCain and Anderson that could attack off the dribble. one good sign- I don't think Maine is going to run and gun and press like crazy this year. Maine did a solid job executing in the half court against Husson. They also played solid Half court D. Lots of deflections and steals that led to fast break points. I thought the Defensive game was much improved from last year, better help and rotations were solid. Guards played defense without fouling.
Things I liked:
Danny Evans is a solid looking prospect. He will be a plus defender, good size and strength in the backcourt. He also plays under control and has good court vision. Wes Myers is very crafty. He is very slippery on the offensive attack and good finisher in transition. Vince Eze has a decent touch and pretty good hands. Post game is somewhat limited but he played within himself and had some wow moments with a loud block in help defense and an emphatic follow slam. Fleming looks like a solid role player who will be a primary sub at the forward position. Ilker Er was very quiet in the first half and knocked home 3 or 4 threes in a short stretch to help push the lead. The returning players look stronger and have made some noticeable weight room gains.
Things I didn't like:
Jaquan McKennon DNP, in street clothes
TRK- out for the season with a broken leg
Ilija and Marko shooting threes. Marko actually had a decent game and looks like he gained some strength and confidE ce in the off season. As mentioned many times before...still concerned about rebounding and interior D against D1 competition.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:06 pm

BZ: We saw the same game and I couldn't agree more with your evaluation of the game and the players.

Husson's lack of size was a big factor. They just could not match up down low offensively and defensively.

Last year Husson gave Maine a good game and lost 93-79.

IF AND THAT IS A VERY BIG IF Maine would play the style during the regular season like they did today, NO FULL-COURT PRESSING, better half-court offense, much better shot selection, much better half-court ball movement and IF AND ANOTHER BIG IF they settle on just using 8 players they should finish at .500 and possibly win a tourney game.

Guards,
5'11" Calixe 11 pts. in 17 minutes
6'2" Myers 9 pts in 18 minutes
6'5" Evans 13 pts. in 20 minutes

Forwards,
6'7" Pirovic 13 pts. in 14 minutes
6'7" Fleming 8 pts. in 17 minutes
6'7" Stojilkovic 5 pts. in 19 minutes

Forward/guard 6'6" Er 17 pts in 19 minute

Center-6'8" Eze 19 pts. in 16 minutes

These 8 players scored 86 of the 108 points and played 140 of the 200 minutes

No real rim protector other then Eze and don't know how well Eze will hold up in the post against heavier opponents as he is 218 lbs. Also, no real rim protector other than Eze. He has good offensive moves in the low post, if they use him enough and give him enough touches.

Really like Er tough competitor, good all around player who can do a lot of good things. Can swing guard-forward. Possibly the best of the newcomers.

Myers will be a definite plus.

Evans high skilled big guard who did a lot of good things.

If they don't go with just 8 players and they press full-court all the time and mass 5 for 5 subs every 4 or 5 minutes, let the players determine the shot selection I don't think they will be much better then last year, because the best players (Er, Myers, Evans, Eze,will not get enough minutes to let the game come to them) instead they will force the issue and take themselves to the game which leads to poor shot selection and turnovers.

Like to see a game of the 6 newcombers and Eze and Myers vs. the 8 returnees.

Would pay for that game, even if it was just a intra-squad game.

bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:48 pm

post game recap from UMaine...sidebar: someone gets paid to write this? it's so rife with errors it's almost hard to believe someone gets to do that professionally. hell, i'll do it for free if it means it's well written.

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2016/1 ... eason.aspx
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:07 am

UMaine handles Husson in men’s basketball exhibition game

... “I think we’re going to get better each day, and I think we need to get better defensively,” said Er. “We work on it every day so I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people this year.”

Freshman guard Danny Evans and senior forward Marko Pirovic each scored 13 points for the Black Bears, while junior guard Aaron Calixte (11 points, six assists and redshirt freshman center Vincent Eze contributed 10 points and five rebounds.

Dennis Ashley, a redshirt freshman guard, also scored 10 points while former Oxford Hills of South Paris high school star Andrew Fleming of South Paris chipped in eight points, six rebounds and three assists in 17 minutes in his first UMaine duty.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/10/29/s ... tion-game/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics