MBB: 2016-17 Rebuilding seeks stability, upward mobility

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

MBB: 2016-17 Rebuilding seeks stability, upward mobility

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:24 am

Several former UMaine basketball players continue their careers at major colleges and in professional leagues around the globe. Through the non conference portion of the schedule, Justin Edwards is a senior leader and starter for 10-2 Kansas State. Edwards is the second leading scorer at 13 ppg while leading the team in rebounding, assists and steals. Edwards is shooting 44% from the floor and 70% from the line. Edwards has reduced his turnovers, which was a major flaw in his time at Maine. Edwards continues to struggle from 3 point land at 25%. Kansas State has several of their Big 12 games on national TV ESPN U.

Xavier Pollard is also having a successful start to the 2015-16 campaign for 8-4 Kent State a traditional mid major power. Pollard also a senior, is the 6th man for the Flash, averaging 11.7 ppg leading the team in assists with 3 per game. "x box" is shooting 46% from the floor and a much improved 41% from distance, an area where he struggled mightily at Maine.

In the professional ranks, Troy Barnies continues his successful run in Hungary's A Division. Barnies is the starting small forward for his 9-3 team and averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds.

Ali Fraser is playing for a pro team in Holland after time in Germany and Great Britain. Fraser is the starting power forward averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds per game.
Mike Allison and Raheem Singleton are just starting their season in NBL Canada. Singleton is in His third season in Canada and now with the Windsor Express. Allison is with Niagara after a season in BBL in Great Britain.
It is nice to see these former Black Bears continue to find success through hard work and perseverance.
Blind Zebra

Re: Former Maine Players Continue Their Careers

Postby mainejeff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks for the updates and reiterating just how bad of a coach that Woodward was considering how his former players are flourishing with pro teams and new programs.
mainejeff

Postby TheOneArmMan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:28 pm

It really is depressing to see all of that talent, with absolutely zero to show for it....

But good for them.
TheOneArmMan

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah it's hard to look back and remember that with the exception of Barnies, all the others I mentioned were on the same team for a season. Wonder what the results would've been with Walsh coaching that group?
Blind Zebra

Postby TheOneArmMan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:07 pm

BZ, I think the jury is still out on Walsh. I would like to think based on what we have seen so far, it would have been better than with Woodward. But I am not sure Walsh is still able to get a team to reach potential. Not a large enough sample size to be fair, but it appears Walsh is a "system" guy, and I am not so sure all of the above players would fit the "system".
TheOneArmMan

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:50 pm

TheOneArmMan wrote:BZ, I think the jury is still out on Walsh. I would like to think based on what we have seen so far, it would have been better than with Woodward. But I am not sure Walsh is still able to get a team to reach potential. Not a large enough sample size to be fair, but it appears Walsh is a "system" guy, and I am not so sure all of the above players would fit the "system".

Lol.
parquetfloor

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:27 pm

It's clear that walsh is installing a system but I don't know that we have sufficient evidence that he is incapable of being a game to game xs and os strategist. I may disagree with his lineup choices but I do trust that he will do more tinkering once the system is installed
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:00 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:It's clear that walsh is installing a system but I don't know that we have sufficient evidence that he is incapable of being a game to game xs and os strategist. I may disagree with his lineup choices but I do trust that he will do more tinkering once the system is installed

UMSF: Just 1 more non-conference game to tinker around with. Got to settle on the starters who should play 30 minutes each and 3 subs to divide up the remaining 50 minutes.

If Vann cannot play until half way through the conference schedule, that will be 9 games at the a minimum. If Vann is eligible to redshirt because of his injury maybe they should consider doing that.

Having 6'9 Marco Pirovic back will help in the front court to give Eke and Gloger help against the bigger teams in the conference.
bcbc55

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 pm

What Walsh is doing has nothing to do with X's and O's and the physical presence of any given player on the floor. It's all about working harder than anyone else, and instilling a winning mentality. Has anyone read his blog? It's really insightful. And it gives us a good, behind-the-scenes look at his ideals and what he's trying to accomplish.
Sean Stackhouse

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:44 pm

Sean Stackhouse wrote:What Walsh is doing has nothing to do with X's and O's and the physical presence of any given player on the floor. It's all about working harder than anyone else, and instilling a winning mentality. Has anyone read his blog? It's really insightful. And it gives us a good, behind-the-scenes look at his ideals and what he's trying to accomplish.

SS: And that is the problem.... No x's and o's the players are on their own offensively.The players are freelancing running the offense.

That blog you are reading is D-3 material. It sounds great but it takes coaching, X's and O's and discipline and basketball players playing basketball. Talent at the D-1 level usually beats hard work and the desire to win especially when the game in D-1 is all about athleticism and not basketball.

Learning to win is overrated. Maine recruited these players so they should have known how competitive they were before they offerred them. How to win is the coaching staffs responsiblity by the offensive and defensive strategies the coaching staff gives a team and to get the players to buy in to play unselfishly for the good of the whole. That will not happen when the players have the offense by themselves.

The last two Maine games has shown some signs of improvement, but they have got to settle on 5 starters and play them 30 minutes each and use 3 bench players for the remaining 50 minutes. Playing more than 8 players is intramurals.

Being competitive and wanting to win should already beinstilled in the players before you scholarship them.

The only way you can beat good more athletic talented teams is to have basketball players playing basketball from the shoulders up, run a tempo controlled offense, take good shots, make good basketball decision, cut down opponents possessions and play at a pace that allows you to control your physical and mental moves.

Right now with all the substitutions, running, pressing, 3 point shooting it is like high priced intramurals or semi-pro ball. That may beat UMBC< Hartford and BInghamton in conference play, but I don't thin k that will beat Albany, SB, VT, UNH and maybe UML.

Those 5 teams have are well-coached with veteran coaches and basketball players playing basketball.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics