CIM's BLOG: Who lst said BB needs a shot clock & 3 pt. line?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: CIM'S Blog:

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:a quick google search shows 13 for men and 15 for women

wmtwsportsprod: Thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me. I really appreciate your effort.

Another question, I wonder why the men and women don't have the same number of scholarships?
bcbc55

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:36 pm

thats a question i dont have an answer for....but i maybe an idea

I think its because of title 9 and the total number of scholarships availabe...obviously football throws things way towards the male side as far as total scholarships available...and the chart i looked where the sport is offered for both men and women (hoops, swimming, soccer, track) it looks like there are more women scholarships available then male for each of them
wmtwsportsprod

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:48 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:thats a question i dont have an answer for....but i maybe an idea

I think its because of title 9 and the total number of scholarships availabe...obviously football throws things way towards the male side as far as total scholarships available...and the chart i looked where the sport is offered for both men and women (hoops, swimming, soccer, track) it looks like there are more women scholarships available then male for each of them

wmtwsportsprod: Thanks again for responding. Your theory is probably correct, it certainly makes a lot of sense.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:34 pm

After just checking the 2016-17 UMaine Men's Basketball Roster, here are two interesting questions that popped out to me about the 2016-17 UMaine Men's Basketball Roster. There are 16 players listed on the roster by my count their should have been 17 names listed'

One player, another guard (now makes it 11 or 12 guards out of 16 or 17 players) the transfer from LaSalle will have to sit out this coming season (transfer sit out rule).

One of the incoming freshmen, a recruited guard, 5'10" Marcus Flyod's, name is not listed on the current goblackbears.com men's basketball website 16 player roster.

Flyod is from Wilmington, Delaware and played the past two years at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas a top rated prep school in the country. He had offers from Texas State. Iona, Idaho State and Lousiana-Monroe/ Well spread out and spaced areas of the country. Southwest, Middle south, Northeast and Western North. He definitely had some choices so he has to be a top recruit especially for America East Conference.

2 possible reasons for the players name not on the current roster!

Question one: Is it just an oversight and an omission of the player's name?

Question two: Or has the player left the program already?

IF Either one of the answers to the 2 questions is the reason for his name not being on the roster, is not good for the program.

Lesser problematic for the program is a poor public relations move if omitting the player's name is the reason his name is not included on the roster.

Bigger problem would be the loss of a top guard that the UMaine head coach is very high on in his June 17th, 2016 news announcement of said player on the goblackbears.com men's basketball website.

Head coach feels that this player is the type of player who will fit right into the current UMaine men's coaching staff philosophy of up tempo run and gun offense, pressing defense and in and out 5 in 5 out every 4/5 minute subsitution plan.

Let's hope that it is an error of omission and not a loss of a VERY POTENTIAL CAPABLE PLAYER.

Anybody happen to know why this player's name is omitted from the 2016-17 roster?

P.S. Interesting side note of the incoming 6 freshmen/Juco Transfers 5 are guards and one is a forward. goblackbears.com has 5 front court players and 11 guards, if include Flyod then it is 12 guards and 5 front courters.

Who besides Melmed, Ward, Ashley who are walkons as there are only 13 scholarships available. If they have used all, the scholarships then there has got to be another walkon.

Unless some players have half scholarships, if that is allowed?
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:39 pm

serious question: do you know how google works? it's magical.

look up whether or not basketball is a partial equivalency sport or not on your own time.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:serious question: do you know how google works? it's magical.

look up whether or not basketball is a partial equivalency sport or not on your own time.

UMSF: Don't google sorry, to advanced for an old senior citizen.

I believe that WMSP has the right answer with title nine equivalency because of the unequalness of mens sports to womens sports with football vs. field hockey in the big difference in total number of participants.
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 pm

that's not what partial equivalency means, like at all.

pro tip: go to google.com and type in whatever you're interested in, and hit enter. enjoy.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby CornellMainer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 am

UMSF why do you have to be a dick? Cim was asking questions on his own thread and hasn't been hijacking other threads lately. I've ripped Cim multiple times when he hijacks threads with stupid things, but at least let him have his own thread. You obviously don't like what Cim posts so don't click on the thread that says CIM'S Blog.
CornellMainer

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:20 am

bcbc55 wrote: UMSF: Don't google sorry, to advanced for an old senior citizen.
Kinda like coming up to speed on how much different current day college basketball is to the rotary dial telephone days, eh Bob ? :o ;) :lol:

P.S., Try: https://www.google.com/search?q=partial+equivalency+D1+NCAA+sports&rlz=1C1EJFB_enUS624US644&oq=partial+equivalency+D1+NCAA+sports&aqs=chrome..69i57.20327j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
TAL1957

Postby TheOneArmMan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm with Cornell on this one,

Cim is following the rules made up specifically for him, and respecting the forced censure that was imposed on him outside of his own forum, yet you guys still come to the ONE place he is allowed to post and bash him. GTFO.....

Cim did have a relatively good topic going for his needs, and some other poster's have engaged in what both sides have indicated as good discussion. Why are you all so insecure that you need to rain on an older man's one topic parade? GTFO.....

Cim may be well behind on technology these days (though my 54-year-old fisherman father couldn't even turn on a computer if you asked him too), but he at least admits what he is capable of/willing to do. The ability to complete a Google search does not measure a man. GTFO....
TheOneArmMan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics