CIM's BLOG: UMaine basketball teams week break for exams

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: CIM'S Blog:

Postby thebam » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 pm

I think their issue was the degradation of fundamental skills at the college level being attributed to AAU not teaching those things or developing those things.. just win .. street ball... it's making the product a lower quality.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:04 pm

thebam wrote:I think their issue was the degradation of fundamental skills at the college level being attributed to AAU not teaching those things or developing those things.. just win .. street ball... it's making the product a lower quality.

Bam: I agree with your posts.

Coaches, Parents, players and fans, watch the D-1 College Big Dance and the NBA and think that is the way the game should be played. Well that is if you are that athletic which most of Maine's players are not.

When non-athletes try to play the athletic game you have what you have in many cases for Maine high school hoops.

The more athletic players are the less fundamentally sound, poorer Basketball IQ's and poorer basketball decisions are made get tried at the high school level what you see on TV.

This is one of the biggest reasons high school basketball here in Maine is steadily going down hill overall because players are not being taught or learned the fundamentals, skills, shooting ability, shot selection, basketball IQ's and basketball decision making.

Instead of blaming AAU for all the problems many high school coaches need to review and teach the proper fundamentals that teach good shot selection, good teamwork, develop higher BB IQ's that make for better basketball decisions.

I had AAU to deal with when I was coaching in the 90's and there was nothing that happened in AAU that I did not like that I couldn't correct when the players got back under my supervision.

I just used the coaches best friend, "the bench", if I needed to, (which was not very often) to get my players to do what I wanted them to do.
bcbc55

Postby maine612 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi Coach Cim,

I spent the day today on the campus of Robert Morris University. I got the chance to hear the impressive young coach Andy Toole speak. Pretty cool gym. Was wondering based on conference and team rankings how RMU compares to Maine in terms of stature and ranking. I do know they beat Kentucky a couple years back in the NIT...unlikely to see a Maine win like that anytime soon.

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 pm

maine612 wrote:Hi Coach Cim,

I spent the day today on the campus of Robert Morris University. I got the chance to hear the impressive young coach Andy Toole speak. Pretty cool gym. Was wondering based on conference and team rankings how RMU compares to Maine in terms of stature and ranking. I do know they beat Kentucky a couple years back in the NIT...unlikely to see a Maine win like that anytime soon.

maine612: Looked up the rankings.

Realtimerpi.com team power rankings has Robert Morris ranked 290..Maine 314
Realtimerpi.com team RPI rankings.....has Robert Morris ranked 291..Maine 313
Realtimerpi.com Conference power rankings..Robert Morris-Northeast Conference 30th and Maine-America East Conference 23rd
Pomeroy D-1 Rankings has Robert Morris ranked 306..Maine 334

Robert Morris played in a weaker conference, but was ranked higher then Maine in team power and RPI

Last year Robert Morris went 10-22 and 8-11 in their conference
Last year UMaine went..........8-22 and 4-23 in their conference

Hope this helps
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:03 pm

fwiw I went back in time and looked at past KenPom rankings and RMU was in the mid-to-high 100's for 2013, 2014, and 2015.

ie. they've been a decent program for the past few years with a down year last year
UMaineSuperfan

Postby thebam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 am

in 2013 RMU defeated Kentucky in the NIT.. a Kentucky team that was a shell of itself.. but still Kentucky.
thebam

Postby maine612 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks for the commentary gents. It has been an interesting few days here. The campus is nothing special. The gym is ok. Always interesting to see things through a recruits eyes. The coach was a compelling guy. But clearly RMU must be shooting for the same types of guys as Maine. I'd think a state flagship school and Maine's campus and facilities would trump RMU, but Pittsburgh is a major city.

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

How to STOP NBA Small Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many coaches, players, fans, and owners are starting to get on the small ball bandwagon because of the success of the NBA Golden Boys Warriors 3 point offense.

The theory in that it is tough for teams with BIGS to matchup defensively with the quicker small ballers which allows the offense to spread the floor giving the offense good dribble penetration to get open threes when help comes or get to the basket or if they sag to stop the penetration then the wings will be wide open for open threes.

However, if teams would go zone against the small ballers especially with the 24 second clock and then offensively post up and take advantage of the mismatches in the low post block then that would end this game of small ball. Zones such as the 1-3-1, 1-2-2 or match up zones would be the most effective against the small ball offenses.

It would be 6 seconds different in college as the shot clock is 30 seconds, however the same game plan would force the teams using the small ball attack to get out of it or go zone themselves which would give the bigger teams a big advantage on the offensive boards.

Actually small ball would be more effective at the high school level as there is not shot clock and the offense would not have to give the ball up because time limit of the shot clock. Thus they could take more time in their offensive sets to take advantage of the defensive matchups.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with me?
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 pm

With the signing of another guard Austin Howard at 6'1" from a junior college, does Maine have any scholarships left for an adequate BIG, if one should become available?

Now 11 guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that enough guards? Sr.-Reid-Knight, Jrs-Calixe, Ward*, Melmed*, Myers, Howard Soph-Ashley*, Bernstein, and Freshmen-ER, Evans, Floyd.

Front court: Srs.-Beal, Pirovic, Sophs-Stojiljkovic, Eze Red Shirt last year, Freshmen Fleming and sit out year transfer Majstorovic from LaSalle.

How many scholarships are D-1 teams allowed 13 or 14?

17 players...13-4 walkons.....14-3 walkons

*3 Walkons, anybody else a walkon?
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:04 pm

What's wrong with small ball? I think it's a better game, more skill oriented. Portland started four guards and one big last year, (and will likely do the same this year) and that turned out pretty well. Look at the Celts Isiaih Thomas 5'8", etc. you probably would have cut him at John Bapst eh Cim? At the very least you'd have benched him for putting up shots without passing it into the post first? Am I right? :)
Note: I'm not in the least trying to be disrespectful, just want to inspire some debate. :)
fromthebench

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics