CIM's BLOG: Who lst said BB needs a shot clock & 3 pt. line?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: CIM's BLOG: UMaine women BB real positives in win over D

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:20 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Thanks for the recap, bcbc. Overall, a great road win for the Black Bears with contributions from several players - definitely nice to see Wadling attack the hoop so well and Parise knock down four 3's.

I just have a few corrections to your recap:

Item 2) - 4 players were in double figures, not 54 :)
Item 7) - Maine shot 7-19 (36.8% not 34.6%) from 3-point range.
Item 8) - I think Maine's largest deficit in the second half was 3 points, not 5 points.

Item 11) - The low percentage of 3-point shots taken is not in and of itself a positive. I think we need to face the reality that, on the offensive end, the strength of this team is its guard play and perimeter shooting. It just doesn't make much sense to try and achieve some arbitrary ratio of 3 point attempts to total field goal attempts, particularly when our most consistent offensive threats have been from the outside. I appreciate the sentiment that there is a higher variance in a team's scoring when they rely heavily on 3-point shots, and that could be an issue in a single elimination tournament (like the America East tournament). But bottom line, you have to play to your strengths and, right now, that is Maine's perimeter shooting.

MaineBBFan99: You are welcome to the update and thanks for the 3 corrections, haste makes waste as I make typos.

Guess I did not proofread.

I don't care so much of Maine scores when they go inside, but it is the best way to get open 3 looks by going inside and the kick out pass for the open three when the defense double downs to double team the post player.

With the offensive set Maine is using does not post any one up on the block to invite the double team to get the higher percentage open 3 look.

If Maine would have the post player who is at the high post even above it to screen for the guards or when they get the ball from the guards to look for the guards cutting thru the lane to the opposite three point lines looking for 3's, if the wing gets the ball and there is no 3 attempt available then if the post player would cut to the block on the wings side if the wing doesn't shoot a 3 then the wing could get the ball to the post player on the block and there would not be a double team because the post player was on the move to post up. So then if the post player is not doubled down on then they can go l on l on the block which is the toughest spot on the floor to defend. If the double team comes then an open 3 will be the result.

All this does is force the defense to double down which gets you an open 3. Post player does not have to score on the inside pass. Just hit the open offensive player whose man doubled down to double team the post player. Just add that cut by the post player and the offense would be fine.

Many times a a one and done tournament game to get to the bufg dance a team is going to have to survive a poor shooting game in order to win it. Counting on the 3 by living and dying with it is not a high percentage to win it all.

Got to be able to get the ball inside to get old fashion 3 pointers to help survive a poor shooting night. All also shooting so many threes takes your post players out of the offensive rebounds because the misses bounce further away when they hit the rim and miss.

Also, relying on the 3 does not get yo to the foul line much as Maine is only averaging 102 foul shot attempts which is just 10.2 per game foul shot attempts currently.

Just my opinion, that you need an inside-outside game to get more open threes especially against good defensive teams that they will see at Mississippi State and Duke and in the America East regular season games and especially in the one and done AE tournament.
bcbc55

CIM's BLOG: iUMaine Basketball teams break week for exams

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm

The two University of Maine basketball teams must be on exam break as there are no games scheduled this week.

The last men's game was last Sunday against NAIA 2 UMaine @ Machias and the women's last game was Saturday at Dartmouth.

The next games are next Sunday, December 17th as the women are at Mississippi State and the men visit St. Josephs. Women's game is at 2:00pm and the men tipoff at 4:30pm.

Mississippi State 9-0 is the 6th ranked team in RPI in the country in the realtimerpi.com RPI out of 349 ranked teams and is the number one team in the number one RPI ranked D-1 conference Southeast Conference. Maine 4-4 is ranked 93rd in the team RPI rankings in the 23rd ranked the America East Conference out of 32 D-1 conferences. This will be a real test for Maine playing the number 6th team and the number 1 team in the number 1 Southeast Conference on the road and after 7 days without a game. Mississippi has a game tomorrow, Wednesday Dec. 13th so they will be without a game for 4 days to Maine's 7 days.

St, Joseph's 4-5 and ranked 217th out of the 351 D-1 teams in realtimerspi.com team RPI rankings to Maine's 315th. St. Joe's plays in the 11th ranked Atlantic 10 ranked conference while Maine 1-8 is ranked 315th in team RPI and the America East Conference is ranked 28th. Maine has not played in 6 days. St. Joseph's last game was on Saturday, December 9th, so they will be off for 7 days. So neither team has an advantage on this count.

In the Kenpom Pomeroy RPI team rankings St. Joseph's is at 109th and Maine is 335th out of the 351 D-1 teams ranked..

NOTICE: The 2 games for each UMaine team against D-3, NAIA2, and USCAA non D-1 games do not count in the realtimepi.com RPI rankings. However, they do count towards teams recordsband team and player statistics. I will Blog about this counting and not counting on Wednesday, December 14th on my "Off the Rim" Blog in the Bangor Daily News Maine BLOG section. The Blog will show the Maine teams stances for all the games they have played so far Men 11 women 10 games. The 2 games against non D-1 teams and the games against just D-1 teams, 9 for the men and 8 for the women.

I wonder how much practice time they get in for each team this week as 1st semester exams are extremly important to the student athletes.

Each team has several non-conference games after this week and after Christmas break. The America East Conference regular season starts in early January as both teams open with Stonybrook.
bcbc55

CIM's BLOG: Maine19Fan: Mybe over 46,000 views prove someth

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:21 pm

19: Maybe the over 46,000 view on my MBR Blog which was started by request of Tom Noelette, MBR.org Owner in May of 2016 indicates that some people read them. Whether they agree with them or not does not make any difference to me. As long as they read them then I am contributing something to basketball in some no nothing way. Those 46,000 plus views are just here on MBR. It does not count all the other views and replies that come from by other posts other than my BLOG here on MBR

My Blog in the Bangor Daily News is approaching 300,000 hits or views since I started my "Off the Rim" Column and BLOG in 2011.

Just thought you might like to know that maybe not everyone thinks that I am a armchair no nothing even when I write about D-1 basketball.
bcbc55

Re: CIMS BLOG: Maine19Fan Maybe the 46,177 views on my Blog

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:12 pm

55: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you were requested to start a blog was to keep you away from polluting every other thread on MBR.
Clearly, it isn't working!

And, if you only got 46,000 views in close to two years ... not exactly drawing worldwide interest. Plus, I think some of us view it for comic relief!

Plus, only 300,000 hits on the Bangor "off the rim" function in more than six years? Not great.

But, as usual, you do like to brag. And, you do love to throw out numbers without perspective.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you were requested to start a blog was to keep you away from polluting every other thread on MBR.
Clearly, it isn't working!

And, if you only got 46,000 views in close to two years ... not exactly drawing worldwide interest. Plus, I think some of us view it for comic relief!

Plus, only 300,000 hits on the Bangor "off the rim" function in more than six years? Not great.

But, as usual, you do like to brag. And, you do love to throw out numbers without perspective.

19: My BLOG on MBR was started to reduce the number of people like you who were constantly attacking me negatively with name calling and the such, so that they maybe wouldn't go to the BLOG because they knew I was running it.That didn't work, so I went back to regular posting and responding.

Facts are facts and not bragging. You do know that the BDN is in Bangor, Maine, not in Portland, Maine where 80% of the population and money is.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Ever think there are reasons why so many posters were "constantly attacking" you?

I do know that the circulation of the Bangor paper is about 35,000 daily, and the Portland paper is about 37,000 daily, from an on-line check.
And, I do know that the Bangor paper covers UMaine sports a lot more intensively/comprehensively than our state's paper to the south.
So, it would stand to reason that Maine basketball fans would access the Bangor paper and related blogs a lot more than they would anything in the Portland paper.

Anyway, I don't mean to constantly attack you. I just have tried to bring some perspective into some of the groundless, unsupportive theories you disseminate.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Ever think there are reasons why so many posters were "constantly attacking" you?

I do know that the circulation of the Bangor paper is about 35,000 daily, and the Portland paper is about 37,000 daily, from an on-line check.
And, I do know that the Bangor paper covers UMaine sports a lot more intensively/comprehensively than our state's paper to the south.
So, it would stand to reason that Maine basketball fans would access the Bangor paper and related blogs a lot more than they would anything in the Portland paper.

Anyway, I don't mean to constantly attack you. I just have tried to bring some perspective into some of the groundless, unsupportive theories you disseminate.

Maine19Fan: I have always been an unorthodox basketball personality, as a player, as a coach as an official, as radio/TV color commentator, author, Blogger and Column writer about basketball so I expect to criticized but do not appreciate being dumped on and called names. I just wish people would just agree t disagree without getting personal. I never attack people's responses to my Posts, Blogs or Column unless they start it first and then I just try to fight fire with fire.

As I have said, "You can't please ll of the (basketball) people all of the time, but you can please some of the (basketball) people some of the time".

It's like two coaches coaching in a game with different philosphies and they play to decide which system will win.

When coaching I was an odd ball outside the normalcee of the game so I came under a lot of scrutiny and criticism for how my teams played the game. Many did not like my style of play and maybe that was because we were different and very successful playing against better and more athletic teams then we had. But it was certainly fun.

I appreciate you trying to improve my knowledge about D-1 basketball, but for as long as I have been around this great game that has given me so much I don't think this old dog is going to learn to many knew basketball tricks.

I just post my beliefs based on my basketball experiences and if you or others don't agree then that is fine, it makes for good discusions. I have been here on MBR ever since it began years ago.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:54 pm

I will give you these points:
- You are unorthodox, to the point where you're both antiquated and a disseminator of basketball theories that don't logically translate to the modern era of D1 basketball.

- You are an old dog (your words, so not a derogatory commentary) who can't be taught new tricks. Basketball has changed in the last 30 years. And, D1 basketball is an entirely different world than mediocre high school-level basketball. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to embrace and understand what's new and different.

- Your coaching success, based on some of your comments, were usually predicated on having more talent than opponents. I didn't follow your career closely enough to be sure of that, just basing that commentary on your discussion of players you've coached over the years. I'll stand corrected on that.

- If, as you admit, you're a coaching "oddball," with, by nature, oddball theories/philosophies, etc ... it stands to reason that you're going to be criticized in a forum like this. Most of my criticism isn't coming because I don't like you. I don't know you at all personally. How can I judge you personally? You might be the nicest guy in the world, for all I know.
My criticisms/disagreements come because you post far too many "oddball" theories that have no quantitative evidence of support. In fact, the evidence more often than not seems to support the opposite of your "theories."

I will say this, though. I enjoy disagreeing with you on pure basketball issues a lot more than having to put up with basketball_guy and his fund-raising campaign (which neither one of us really knows about), or LennyH and his ... well, I can't exactly figure out what the heck he posts about except that he wants to defend you. Maybe he's one of your relatives!
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:I will give you these points:
- You are unorthodox, to the point where you're both antiquated and a disseminator of basketball theories that don't logically translate to the modern era of D1 basketball.

- You are an old dog (your words, so not a derogatory commentary) who can't be taught new tricks. Basketball has changed in the last 30 years. And, D1 basketball is an entirely different world than mediocre high school-level basketball. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to embrace and understand what's new and different.

- Your coaching success, based on some of your comments, were usually predicated on having more talent than opponents. I didn't follow your career closely enough to be sure of that, just basing that commentary on your discussion of players you've coached over the years. I'll stand corrected on that.

- If, as you admit, you're a coaching "oddball," with, by nature, oddball theories/philosophies, etc ... it stands to reason that you're going to be criticized in a forum like this. Most of my criticism isn't coming because I don't like you. I don't know you at all personally. How can I judge you personally? You might be the nicest guy in the world, for all I know.
My criticisms/disagreements come because you post far too many "oddball" theories that have no quantitative evidence of support. In fact, the evidence more often than not seems to support the opposite of your "theories."

I will say this, though. I enjoy disagreeing with you on pure basketball issues a lot more than having to put up with basketball_guy and his fund-raising campaign (which neither one of us really knows about), or LennyH and his ... well, I can't exactly figure out what the heck he posts about except that he wants to defend you. Maybe he's one of your relatives!

19: correction: Of the 29 years I coached we had the best talent in 8 of those years and the other 21 years we were not even the 2nd best team we were always 3rd or below yet made the tourney 26 of 29 years and the 3 years we didn't make it we finished 9th and if we had won our last game each of those seasons we would have made the tournament 29 of 29 years. Never finished lower then 9th the years we did not make it going to the last game of the season.

Didn't change to much offensively from the best talented 8 years seeded number 1 averaged around 60- 66 points a game to the years we were not any where near as talented as the best teams and we averaged 50-55 per game about 10 POINT DIFFERENCE. The difference being we played slower and more deliberate without the talent and a little more up speed but not much when we had the best talent about 10 points difference between best talent vs. less talent. However, we always went inside first and outside second regardless of the talent available.

Coached in 5 decades the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's and 2000's. Did the same things offensively from 1960 to 2000 as far as going inside first and out side second when looking for shots and by outside I do not mean 3's but 15 footers and power layups and foul shots.

Wanted to get that straighten out as did not have the best talent less than 2/3's of the years.

Met my friend basketball_guy here on MBR although he did play at UMaine on the JV team for one of my former players 6'7" point guard who had over 66 D-1 offers as a High school All American selection to 4 or 5 sponsors. Top 40 players in Sunkist top 100 selections, Peter Gavett who became an assistant to Skip Chappelle after playing for him at Maine from 1969-73. He went on to become the very successful women's coach at UMaine using all Maine players in the very competitive Seacoast Conference for Women.

Just some more personal coaching history and UMaine Basketball History.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Here we go again, a recitation from 55 about how great he was.
None of which pertains to D1 basketball.
Maine19Fan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics