CIM's BLOG:Why do UMaine BB teams count non D-1 game stats

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Re 2 CDLJ, HS2009 & 8-3-4 Formula for

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:22 pm

CoachDLJ wrote:I actually coach at UMFK. We have two returning, one that redshirted and a transfer. Six other commits. 5'9 guard from a Juco, 5'4 combo guard, 5'5 guard from Bangor HS, 5'10 stretch 4 from Vermont and a 5'8 guard from Katahdin, and 5'8 All State guard from Ohio. Only two of the six areally getting a little athletic aid. All 3.0 GPA plus.

I wasnt referring to UMO transfers.

We are also playing UMASS next year. We did get killed by Marshall this year, but 90% of the roster were freshmen that I recruited in May/June of last year. They worked hard, and some had to move on for various reasons. That many freshmen from all over the world is hard to keep happy when they were all Alpha's four months before.

coachDLJ: Sorry my bad. I apologize. I used to get up to UMFK to officiate college Volleyball in the fall and basketball in the winter time, last time was in the mid 2010's. Made that trip up 111 a lot of times and sometimes was traveling alone. Always treated first class by the AD AND COACHES, PLAYERS, TIMERS, SCOREKEEPERS, ETC.

FIRST CLASS FACILITY AND FIRST CLASS PEOPLE.

Can't remember the men's/women's basketball coaches or the volleyball coach's names but the basketball coach was a very tall fella and a first god guy as was the VB coach.

Don Arnold from Madawaska was there and was an old HS basketball coaching friend of mine. Always glad to get a VB or BB assignment at the FORT.

Reffed some of Coach Bird's high school games at Lee Academy.

Surprised the UMaine women would schedule you after Tom beat the UMaine men 85-80 at the "PIT" last fall.

Sorry about the confusion, but I am closer to 80 than 79 now so sometimes I just get things mixed up.

Say hello to Tom and to Bill Ashby for me. Both top flight professionals in their fields. As great as they are in their professional lives they are even better human beings.

Always enjoyed their company when I was fortunate enough to be with them at anytime I met them.

Again I apologize for my confusion.

Good luck with these new recruits.

P.S. Coach, who is the recruit from Bangor?
bcbc55

Postby CoachDLJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Sammi Thayer from Bangor. She will be a solid role player. Hard worker and going in to Nursing.

Eric was the old men's coach here and now the AD at Fort Kent Community High School.

Don was just honored last night at out Athletic Hall of Fame for all his work with athletics, the college and community.

I was surprised when Coach Vachon emailed me too. Me and Barron agreed to a date this year, then a big boy D1 needed a game. I understood that.

VB coach now is a former player from a couple years ago. Our men's and women's (Lucas Levesque) soccer teams won the national title undefeated. Men two in a row and women six out of the past seven years. Men's basketball made it to the final four. VB made it to the tournament and we just missed out. USCAA D2 gets 12 bids and USCAA D1 gets 8. We ended up 16-12. Struggled a little down the end stretch. I thought not bad with only one non-freshman at the end of the year.
CoachDLJ

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm

CoachDLJ wrote:Sammi Thayer from Bangor. She will be a solid role player. Hard worker and going in to Nursing.

Eric was the old men's coach here and now the AD at Fort Kent Community High School.

Don was just honored last night at out Athletic Hall of Fame for all his work with athletics, the college and community.

I was surprised when Coach Vachon emailed me too. Me and Barron agreed to a date this year, then a big boy D1 needed a game. I understood that.

VB coach now is a former player from a couple years ago. Our men's and women's (Lucas Levesque) soccer teams won the national title undefeated. Men two in a row and women six out of the past seven years. Men's basketball made it to the final four. VB made it to the tournament and we just missed out. USCAA D2 gets 12 bids and USCAA D1 gets 8. We ended up 16-12. Struggled a little down the end stretch. I thought not bad with only one non-freshman at the end of the year.

CoachDLJ: Thanks for all the updates. Add Don to Tom, Bill and Eric to say hello for me and give them by best wishes along with you of course.

Almost making the USACC D-1 tournament with such a young team and going 16-12 is the sign of excellent coaching.

I'll now have another UMFK team to root for and follow next basketball season

I'll be rooting for you and your new young team to make the final 8.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:06 pm

8-3-4 BASKETBALL RECRUITING FORMULA FOR UMAINE MEN'S TEAM

This is just to show that there are 8 plus Mainers available each year since Walsh took over in 2013-14. I realize you probably could not get them by having them go to prep school however there are 8 or 9 Mainers in a 4 year cycle that could help UMaine rather they get them or not is of course, another question. For how to recruit Mainers and other ways to talk Mainer's to stay and play at the University of Maine just go to my Post on my CIM's latest Blog on page 32 4th post down discussing this.

11 scholarships 8 Mainers....3 non Mainers...4 walk ons and always try to have 2 scholarships available at all times.

All former Maine High School players will/would have attended a prep school.

2013-14 Roster

Maine H. S.Players
Prep
School.
Year.....9 Mainers...H.S.................Gr.Pos.Ht...
2012-13.Calixe.... . Lee Prep ..........Fr..PG.6'0".
2012-13.Cimino.... Worcetser.Prep...Fr..C..6'10".
2012-13.Z Gilpin.... Hampden Acad...Fr..F...6'5"
2011-12.McFarland .Camden............Fr..F...6'6"
2011-12.Furness.....Cheverus-Wells...Jr. PG.6'7"
2011-12.Safford.....Camden/Hampden.Jr.PG..6'2"
2011-12.K HYland...South Portland....Jr.FG..6'4"
2010-11.Faithful.....Cheverus...........Sr.G...6'1"
2011-12.Knight.......Dirigo...............Sr.F...8'9"

..........2 Non-Mainers
..........Lawton.............................Jr.G...6'5"
..........Gloger..............................Jr.C...6'9"

..........4 walkons
..........Melmad......Old Town...........Fr..G..6'1"
..........Ward.........Out of state........Fr..G..6'0"
..........????????? To be announced
..........????????? To be announced

Total 15 players: 9 Mainers+2 Non-Mainers+4 walk ons
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 Roster
Prep
School
Year.....8 Mainers...High school..........Gr.Pos.Ht
2013-14.Beal.........Jonesport=Beal......Fr..F...6'6"
2012-13.Calxie.......Lee Prep.............So..PG.6'0"
2012-13.Cimino......Worseter Prep......So..C...6'10"
2012-13 Z Gilpin.....Hampden Acad.....So..G...6'5"
2011-12 McFarland..Camden..............Sr..F...6'6"
2011-12 Furness......Cheverus-Wells.....Sr..PG.6'7"
2011-12 Safford......Camden/Hampden.Sr..PG.6'2"
2011-12 K Hyland....South Portland.....Sr..G-F.6'4"

..........3 non Mainers
..........Lawton..............................Sr..G...6'5"
..........Gloger...............................Sr..C...6'9"
..........Myers..Sit out transfer.........RS11.G...6-2

.........4 Walk ons
.........Melmad..............................So..G...6'1"
.........Ward.................................So..G...6'0"
.........Ashley..red shirt Bridgton Acad..Fr..G...6'1'
,,,,,,,,,????????? TBA

Totals 15 players.8 Mainers+3 non-Mainers+4 walkons ----------------------------------------------------------------------
2016-17 Team Roster

Prep
School
Year....8 Mainers.....High school.........Gr.Pos.Ht
2015-16 N Gilpin.....Hampden............Fr..G...6'3"
2015-16 Mayo.........Messalonskee.......Fr..CF..6'9"
2015-16 M McDevitt..Greely...............Fr...F...6'8"
2015-16.Martin.......Winslow.............Fr...F...6'5"
2013-14 Beal..........Jonesport-Beal....So...F...6'6"
2012-13 Calixe........Lee Prep...........Jr...PG..6'0"
2012-13 Cimino.......Worseter Prep.....Jr...C...6'10"
2012-13 Z Gilpin......Hampden Acad....Jr...F....6'5"

...........3 Non-Mainers
...........Myers.........Transfer...........Jr...G....6'2"
...........Er.............JUCO transfer.....Jr...F....6'6"
...........Howard......JUCO transfer......Jr..G....6'2"

...........4 Walk ons
...........Melmad.......Old Town..........Jr...G....6'1"
...........Ward..........out-of-state.......Jr. G....6'0"
...........Ashley........Bridgton Acad.....Fr..G....6'1"
Totals 1 players..8 Mainers+3 non-Mainers+4 walk ons

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-18 Roster

..........9 Mainers.....High School........Gr..Pos..Ht
2016-17 Fleming.......Oxford Hills.......Fr....F....6'7"
2015-16 N Gilpin.......Hampden Acad...So...G....6'3"
2015-16 Mayo..........Messalonskee.....So...CF...6'9"
2015-16 M McDevitt...Greely.............So....F....6'8"
2015-16 Martin.........Winslow...........So....F....6'5"
2014-15 Beal............Jonesport-Beal..Jr.....F....6'6"
2013-14 Calixe..........Lee Prep..........Sr...PG...6'0"
2013-14 Cimino.........Worseter..........Sr...C.....6'10"
2013-14 Z Gilpin........Hampden Acad...Sr...G.....6'5"

..........3 non-Mainers
..........Myers................................Sr...G......6'2"
..........Er.....................................Sr...F......6'6"
..........Howard..............................Sr...G......6'2"

..........4 walk ons
...........Melmad........Old Town.........Sr...G......6'1"
...........Ward...........Out-of-state......Sr...G......6'0"
...........Ashley..........Bridgton Acad....So..G......6'1"
...........????????? TBA
total 16 players..9 Mainers+3 Non-Mainers-4 walk ons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any of these 4 rosters could not do any worse then what has happened since 2009-10 the last winning season W-L wise and that is 8 years.

Can you add any other Mainers that I may have missed?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby augie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

The reality is half of these players listed would still leave the state to play college ball even in UMaine put a full court press on while recruiting them.
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm

augie wrote:The reality is half of these players listed would still leave the state to play college ball even in UMaine put a full court press on while recruiting them.

augie: I realize that. However, this proposed imaginary project was just to show that there were/is 8 Mainers in each 4 year cycle that could play at UMaine and help the program and couldn't do any worse then has what has happened with this program since 2009-10 the last winning season.

However, if you read on htis Blog page 32 4th post down will give information on the following:

1. Try to have 2 Mainers in every year and 2 seniors out to keep the 8 as balanced as possible.

2. REAL IMPORTANT WAY THAT IS SPECIALS to recruit Mainers and their parents might surprise you how you might get some you think you wouldn't.

3. Tells how the philosophy of Mainers "US against the rest of the D-1 world of 350 other teams".

4. Sell the point that the first time that UMaine makes the "Big Dance" it will be with at least 8 Mainers on the roster contributing.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: 8-3-4 Recruiting Formula for UMaine M

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:49 pm

BZ: With so many guards on the roster for next season 10 of 14 rostered players so far, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY another guard offered?

Point Guards: Calixe

Off guards: Myers, Evans,Howard, Dusan M.,White, McKennon, walk ons Ashley Melmad, Ward,

10 guards right now, 7 on schollies. and 3 walk ons

Only Er, Eze, Fleming and Ilija S. are non guards.

Why would you as a recruit and another guard want to come to Maine as a guard with so many and also seeing that the starting point guard even though he was a walk on is transferring.?

Why as a coaching staff would you want another guard when you need BIGS?

Does ether question make any sense to you BZ?
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: No takers 8-3-4&No News is Good News

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm

WHAT: 500 views since I posted the 8-3-4 UMaine Men's Recruits Formula on Monday's late afternnon..

Surprised there have been no posts other than "augie's" in regards to my 8-3-4 formula for recruiting 8 Mainers for each teams roster the past 3 seasons and for next season.

All I wanted to do was list players from Maine High Schools that I think could have played at UMaine as D-1ers and do as well as the current roster have done the past three seasons.

Evidently the 500 plus viewers either agree with me, as no one posted that none of the players listed could do the job and I was wrong in listing the players name or if they didn't agree they didn't disagree that much to bother to let me know.

IS NO NEWS GOOD NEWS FOR UMAINE MEN'S 2017-18 RCRUITS?

Other than signing 6'5" Isaiah White another guard announced way back on 11/15/16 the only news pertaining to next season's roster has been Ryan Bernstein's announcement by twitter that is is transferring and Coach Walsh's response to "Boz's" transfer in the BDN.

Maine has lost a couple of recruits that they had offered to other D-1 colleges like St.Mt.Mary's and Farleigh-Dickinson.

There has been no info on what decision the 6'8"er from Lee Prep has been made to Maine's offer.

It was announced that he was offered on 4/7/17, but no news is good news in his case.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: No takers on 8-3-4/No News is good ne

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:41 pm

nhsfan4life: Here is my suggestion:

Subtract a coach and add a coach.

Want to guess who is subtracted and who is added?

dunbar's list was excellent. A young AD in the making!
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: nhsfan/UMM BB 8-3-4/No News Good New

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

NO NEWS: Still no news on the UMaine Men's Basketball Recruiting news...so only addition is 6'5" Isaiah White another guard who was announced on 11/15/16. So still 14 players 10 guards and 4 front courters. Maine still waiting on 6'8" 230lb center from Lee Prep, Miks Antoms to make his decision on the UMaine offer announced on 4/7/17.

GOOD NEWS: fOR THE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PROGRAM AS THEY HAVE SIGNED THEIR 2ND RECRUIT. 6'3" Ashley McDonald a JUCO transfer who I believe will be a sophomore has joined the freshmen shooting recruit from Massachusetts, Kelly Fogarty. This gives the women a roster of 9. 7 returnees and the 2 new additions.

Coach Vachon gets a much needed BIG who is a very good defender by her defensive stats in blocks and stats and defensive rebounds.

The women get a BIG right away when they need one to replace Keleva and Sole.

The men haven't got one BIG since getting Eze and Eke 2 years ago and they really, really, really need one if just for defending the rim as they don't use them in their offense when only by an accidental pass does the ball go to the block.

What are the betting odds that the UMaine men's program sign a BIG with the one or two scholarships that they have left?
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics