CIM's Blog: Answering basketball_guys excellent posts

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Respnse to maine612's post

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Fromthebench and Blind Zebra: Sorry but I am no longer allowed to respond to any posts except here on my Blog.

Your Blogs supporting Bernstein are right on target. If Melmad gets a scholarship for his hard work and dedication and does not contribute in games then certainly Bernstein deserves a scholarship.

Bernstein certainly took the high road with class in his statement on his twitter account stating he was transferring and the same words in the BDN article.

I thought Maine's rep took the low road with the quote in the Bangor Daily News stating that. WE WERE NOT ABLE TO OFFER HIM A SCHOLARSHIP AT THIS POINT. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Really, lets do some math.

Each team in D-1 has 13 full scholarships that are awarded one year at a time.

Currently during the year there were 13 players receiving scholarships (2 injured) so 11 players playing.

3 seniors graduated and no scholarship players transfer (YET) that leaves 13 scholarships.

Use one for JUCO transfer 6'5" Isiah White and 1 is used for transfer from LaSalle 6'5" Dusan M.

So if Melmad still has his scholarship plus 11 players Er, Myers, Calixe, Howard, Ilija S., McKennon, Evans, Eze, Fleming, White, and Dusan M.

My math says that is 12 and 12 from 13 equals.

Now that is if the 2 players that UMaine has offered scholarships have not signed yet, but how we would know as UMaine athletic department is always slow in giving out any information even if it is positive.

So that statement "we were not able" to reading between the lines could easily have been "WE DIDN'T WANT TO".

So the young player takes the high road and the UMaine older staffer takes the low road.

To me it was just a case of ELEVATOR, ELEVATOR, RYAN BERNSTEIN GOT THE SHAFT...especially after what he has done for the UMaine men's basketball program in leading them meaning all the scholarship players in minutes played with 858 and finishing 3rd both years behind 2 scholarship players in average minutes played per game, plus his leading the team in assists and floor leadership. Plus he made some big shots an important times this season late in games.

Very, very unselfish player. No I in his word team.

Wish him all the best of luck in finding a school at the D-1 level and he won't be looking to transfer down seeing where Maine is ranked in the ncaa.com end of season final RPI rankings at 328. Vann, Little, Harewood and Eke left because they all wanted to move up. Bernstein just wants a scholarship, but he still probably will be able to move up if he decides to try to go D-1

I really respect both of you as knowledgeable basketball minds. Thanks for supporting Ryan Bernstein in this very unfair situation that forced him to seek to transfer.

I know the UMaine men's coaching staff is small in physical stature but not giving or offering Bernstein a scholarship in this situation make them even smaller in the most important thing in most anything in dealing, handling and being fair to people under their supervision and that is LOYALTY.

Boy, once the word gets out this really ought to help future recruiting????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

P.S> If I am wrong in anyway in this Blog let me know and I gladly will make the necessary changes/corrections and apologize for my mistake. My math could be wrong as I am just an old senile senior citizen who was nothing but an old physical education teacher, coach and official.

If Melmad doesn't still have a scholarship then UMaine still has 2 schollies available. That is really why only question in the math department unless of course they have signed one of the two or there are transfers that I don't know about as any of those things could foul up my math.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Responses 2 612-ftb-BZ posts

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Why are you now restricted to just posting on your blog thread?
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:31 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Why are you now restricted to just posting on your blog thread?

MaineBBFan99: Check my Cim's latest BLOG for reply. Oops I forgot we are on CIM's latest BLOG!

I have a lot of critics here on MBR and they must feel I post too much and dominate the University of Maine D-1 Thread too much.

But I am COACHABLE AND CAN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A TEAM PLAYER AS A PLAYER, COACH, AND OFFICIAL AND WRITER.

ALTHOUGH I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE BEEN VERY UNORTHODOX IN MY BASKETBALL THINKING IN ALL FOUR OF THOSE BASKETBALL AREAS.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Is this not your blog? Why can't you just say why within this thread?
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Is this not your blog? Why can't you just say why within this thread?

MBB99: Thanks for the post(s). OK I will add that, I was given this BLOG a year ago because I was posting too much on the D-1 thread and dominating it, at least that is what I was told then and now told again. I guess I went too far off the farm again. Bring too much negativity and rant too much

I forgot and broke the rule so I have paid the price. But if it's better for MBR then I have no problem with it. After all it will make all my critics and especially TAL1957 very happy.

Some of my biggest critics drove new poster..."basketball__guy" away from MBR and now it''s just my turn to be slowed down and do what I agreed to do when I first got my own BLOG a year ago. My fault, no one to blame but myself.

Those are the reasons, honestly. I'm lucky that have my own BLOG and CAN DO AS i WISH ON IT. I WON'T LET THIS SET BACK SLOW ME DOWN THOUGH, YOU CAN BET ON THAT.

I RESPECT THE DECISION FROM ABOVE.

However, I have suggested to Tom before that I have always felt it would improve MBR if there was a section here on MBR for posters who posted under their REAL NAMES AND one for people who hide behind user names and do nothing but criticize, name call and make insulting negative comments if they don't agree with your posts or responses to their posts.

I think many people don't post on MBR because they don't like to be attacked personally for not agreeing with other posters or other posters not agreeing with their posts.

I know I would only use the thread with the real name posters and to just agree to disagree when it happens and do it in a civil and positive manner.

But hey that's just my opinion and I have been here on MBR probably longer then most of the negative hide behind user names have been on MBR.

I would like to see Tom try this real name thread for a month to see how it would go!
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Re: 2 612-ftb-BZ-MBB99posts + BERNSTE

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:53 pm

BERNSTEIN TRANSFER...

Bernstein takes the high road and UMaine's Walsh takes the low road as Bernstein gets...Elevator, Elevator he got the shaft.

612 My response to your last post is on page 30 last post down

fromthebench and Blind Zebra BERNSTEIN TRANSFER on first post on this page above.

Maineballer99 my responses to your posts are on 3 and 5 posts on this page
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Re:612-ftb-BZ-mbb99-BERNSTEIN'S TRANS

Postby maine612 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Cim,

I wasn't an Ande or a Yatchsman but I remember watching those games on TV! Congrats on the titles!

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 pm

maine612 wrote:Hi Cim,

I wasn't an Ande or a Yatchsman but I remember watching those games on TV! Congrats on the titles!

612: Thanks for the congrats. The one in 1990 was the sweetest as talent wise we were not that strong athletically. 15-3 regular season. Knocked off 6, 2 and 1 and beat a much more athletic Falmouth team in the state 43-36.

2 starters and the 6th man returned from the 1989 state champs so they knew what it took to win and bought in 100% into how we played. Very slow and patient running our offense until we got a high percentage shot. Game plan was keep the ball on offense 65% of game only had to be on defense 35% of game. Stat man keep track of this with a stop watch for entire games.

We used only 6 players all year. Started the same 5 every game. No injuries, no illnesses, nobody fouled out and only played the sixth man when needed to give starters a rest and he was a real key because he was the only real athlete in the bunch.

We beat teams on paper that we shouldn't have, even beat the eventual class A champion that year by 15 points in an exhibition game in a game both teams played to win.

My favorite team of all time as they did the most with the least of any team I coached.

Point Guard: 6'3" Bret Soucy..moved from starting returning shooting guard to point...key as he sacrificed his scoring for the good of the team

Off guard: 6'2" Tom Bennett..Most aggressive of the 6, tough inside

Center: Returning 6th man 6'4" Greg Nichols,,calm and collected,,excellent foul shooter

Forward: Returning starter 6'4" Rod Buswell..Tough inside man excellent scorer on the block

Forward: 6'1" Chris Haas...our defensive stopper all year and even on smaller or bigger players

6th man: 5'10" Chris Corbin..best athlete by far only real quick player and could make plays instantly coming off the bench, always gave us a boost

Soucy, Buswell and Nichols the leaders because of their game experience the year before.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:26 pm

theonearmman: Your post on Walsh hit the nail directly 100% on the head. He is a talker not an actor. "Do as I say (preach) not as I do (act)".

Isn't this the coach who after losing to Duke and with Er scoring 20 points in the first half and Myers scoring 15 for the game 35 of Maine's 53 points in the game, not start them for the next game saying he was starting the players who worked the hardest in practice?

Didn't Bernstein work hard enough in his 858 team leading minutes played this season ahead of all the scholarship players to get a scholarship for his final two years as "we were not able to give him a scholarship at this point", Walsh added. "It's that simple".

You lose players or your team when they know you are not FAIR and treat everybody the same as far as team rules and policies and awarding scholarships when deserved and when available.

Don;t blame Ryan Bernstein at all.

This RUSHED hire was a disaster from the moment he was hired on day one.

First year 3-27 and lost to D-3 USM

Second year 8-22 (2 year total 11-49) and 5 players (3 starers) transfer out,

Third year last year go 6-25 (3 year total 17-74) lose to USACC Division 2 University of Maine at Fort Kent at their home practice site the "PIT", 85-80, "BREAK INCIDENT" which was not handled professionally, transparently or fairly, drawing less than 200 actual bodies in sets for several home games and to top it off not giving Bernstein a scholarship by saying "We were not able to give him a scholarship at this point" Walsh added, "It's that SIMPLE".

Fourth year ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This program has gone from BAD, to TERRIBLE to HORRENDOUS.

So what will it be next year? it really can't get much worse.and it is all on the "talker's" watch.

A good AD seeing this very unfair situation, would tell the coach that he , THE AD, is going to give Bernstein a scholarship and if you the coach doesn''t like it, the AD will punch the coaches' "TS" Card (Tough Situation Card) and you, the coach, know what you the coach can do if you don't like the AD's decision.

This is as bad a public relations situation that UMaine has had in their men's basketball program in the past 3 years even possibly worse then the "BREAK INCIDENT" and how it was handled because the coaching staff had to make the intentional decision on not to give Bernstein a scholarship after all he has done for the program was a 2 year walk on.

Bernstein took the high road in his tweet about transferring in thanking the University of Maine for giving him his two years.

Walsh took the real as low as you could possibly go in this situation in his statement ,"we were not able to give him a scholarship at this point." WalOhsh added, IT'S THAT SIMPLE".

Hypocritical Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT TAL1957 TO AGREE WITH YOU BY HIS CONCESSION STATEMENT POST TO YOU, "OH, YOU DID NAIL IT."
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Latest Blog: Re:612-ftb-BZ-mbb99-TOAM:BERNSTEIN TR

Postby Manny99 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:12 pm

"we were not able to give him a scholarship at this point." Wash added, IT'S THAT SIMPLE".

bcbc55 - what if the Coaching Staff had already offered the said scholarship that Boz wanted? Then you could flip flop and rip Walsh for "pulling a promised scholarship" or "lying to a recruit" or some other rhetoric that is inflammatory in nature? The point is, you don't know the situation.

I can imagine your headlines - Which one would you have used?

A) "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT 2 WALK ONS HAVE SCHOLARSHIPS???????"
B) "NO WONDER WE CAN'T WIN...... MELMED AND BERNSTEIN ARE USING TWO SCHOLARSHIPS"
C) "THIS STAFF CAN'T EVALUATE TALENT - TWO WALK ONS AWARDED SCHOLARSHIPS"
D) "TWO 6'0 GUARDS NOT RECRUITED BY ANYONE ELSE GIVEN SCHOLARSHIPS"

Honestly, you make my head hurt.

Manny99

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics