Former UMaine hockey captain Jim Montgomery

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Former UMaine hockey captain Jim Montgomery

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Not sure about the cost, but I know while constructing it they were given the option to set it up so it would be possible to install a rink down the road without much added work, and they chose not to. In order to set up a permanent ice sheet at this point it would require a lot of work I think.
nhsfan4life

Postby augie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

nhsfan4life wrote:Monty didn't want to come to UMaine. He was offered the job, and he said no. Let that ship sail.

Can't argue with your takes on the current state of UMaine hockey but this is just not true.
augie

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

augie wrote:
nhsfan4life wrote:Monty didn't want to come to UMaine. He was offered the job, and he said no. Let that ship sail.

Can't argue with your takes on the current state of UMaine hockey but this is just not true.

It's entirely possible your sources are better than mine. I have no issue admitting fault if true.
nhsfan4life

Postby augie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:16 pm

nhsfan4life wrote:
augie wrote:

It's entirely possible your sources are better than mine. I have no issue admitting fault if true.

Wish I wasn't right and by no means am I taking a victory lap as I love the hockey program but Maine could have had Jim if they wanted. As Cim would say it takes two to tango. It's really too bad because he has had success as a coach wherever he's gone. The obsticales UMaine currently faces that you pointed out are legit but having Monty at the helm might have help overcome them. At least it would have been nice to see if he could have.
augie

Postby nhsfan4life » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:14 pm

You may be right. I do wish people would look forward now instead of behind at what "could have been".

We have a dilapidated building, aggravated fans, and an incompetent athletic department. What is going to be the catalyst for a change? Anything? Or are we ok with allowing a once national powerhouse of a program be swept into the dustbin of history?
nhsfan4life

Postby Linguist » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 am

Augie,

I heard during the search Montgomery didn't want the job. Granted that could have been speculation or even rumor and conjecture but word around that I heard said Monty didn't want it. Didn't have the players, didn't have the facilities to recruit players, and the fans would have expected a Shawn Walsh product to turn it around in minutes. High expectations, with little resources and enormous pressure.
Linguist

Postby dunbar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:26 am

This raises a good point. Who the hell would want this job? Inadequate facilities, budgetary limitations, and a fan base that can be delusional far too often.

And yes, ice is possible at the Cross Center. All that's needed is the refrigeration system. The bowl is shaped for the 200x85 ice sheet and the capacity would be no different than basketball. Often people are surprised that the front row at the CIC is no closer than the front row at Alfond, or even the ex-CCCC for that matter.
dunbar

Postby nhsfan4life » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 pm

dunbar wrote:This raises a good point. Who the hell would want this job? Inadequate facilities, budgetary limitations, and a fan base that can be delusional far too often.

And yes, ice is possible at the Cross Center. All that's needed is the refrigeration system. The bowl is shaped for the 200x85 ice sheet and the capacity would be no different than basketball. Often people are surprised that the front row at the CIC is no closer than the front row at Alfond, or even the ex-CCCC for that matter.

WHY would someone want this job? I can't think of a redeeming quality at this point. Listen, I love the University of Maine. I love the Hockey Program. I would not love to coach it.
nhsfan4life

Postby thebam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 am

I think this article puts to rest the Montgomery to Maine discussion. If Abbott had wanted him, he'd be here. This one is on him, not Jim Montgomery.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/04/02_Blast-From-the-Past.php
thebam

Postby augie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 am

thebam wrote:I think this article puts to rest the Montgomery to Maine discussion. If Abbott had wanted him, he'd be here. This one is on him, not Jim Montgomery.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/04/02_Blast-From-the-Past.php

could not agree with you more bam
augie

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics