Former UMaine hockey captain Jim Montgomery

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Former UMaine hockey captain Jim Montgomery

Postby MattyB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Jim Montgomery's Denver squad is headed back to the Frozen Four.

Why couldn't the stars align so that Maine could have hired Montgomery after Whitehead got fired? Why can't Maine attract young, up and coming coaches? He just must not have wanted to come here, right?

Except he did, according to this: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/13/s ... ching-job/

Now, my memory might be shaky, but didn't it take a while for them to decide to officially let Whiehead go? I think he was let go April 9th. Montgomery was hired 4 days later in Denver.

More solid moves from the blue.
Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Re: Congratulations to Jim Montgomery

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:27 pm

UM always makes all the right moves.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........ :oops:
mainejeff

Postby 97Alum » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:05 am

he was never coming to Maine.

Let it go.

As a courtesy his name was brought up and he faked interest. That was never an avenue for either of them.

Why would Jim Montgomery have wanted to come to Maine? bottom tier of a killer conference, with subpar facilities and no money. Why would anyone want to come to Maine to coach now?
97Alum

Postby fafan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 am

MattyWOXO wrote:Jim Montgomery's Denver squad is headed back to the Frozen Four.

Why couldn't the stars align so that Maine could have hired Montgomery after Whitehead got fired? Why can't Maine attract young, up and coming coaches? He just must not have wanted to come here, right?

Except he did, according to this: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/13/s ... ching-job/

Now, my memory might be shaky, but didn't it take a while for them to decide to officially let Whiehead go? I think he was let go April 9th. Montgomery was hired 4 days later in Denver.

More solid moves from the blue.

Do we really forget what happened 3 yrs ago already???
He was offered 400K for at Denver with all the latest amenities and a budget that far exceeds Maine. Red was paid more than Whitehead at around 200K. We all wanted Monty but the only we could have gotten him was to have gone after him a yr or two earlier.
fafan

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 am

I'm not a religious follower of Maine hockey by any means, but just to clarify... Montgomery was hired while the "old regime" was in at Maine. So, if you want to dwell on the past that's all well and good. But ragging on the current administration for not bringing Montgomery to Maine is kind of like blaming Barron or Walsh for not reaching double-digit wins their first year here following... you know. Not like that has stopped anybody from doing so, of course.
Sean Stackhouse

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:09 am

97Alum wrote:he was never coming to Maine.

Let it go.

As a courtesy his name was brought up and he faked interest. That was never an avenue for either of them.

Why would Jim Montgomery have wanted to come to Maine? bottom tier of a killer conference, with subpar facilities and no money. Why would anyone want to come to Maine to coach now?

Good question. They should shutter the entire athletic program and put the money into education........because, ya know.......students are gonna trek to Orono in droves for a good education!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 am

mainejeff wrote:They should shutter the entire athletic program

It's funny you say this...I was pondering that very thought yesterday after reading about the ineptitude of the baseball team.
parquetfloor

Postby augie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:05 am

Sean Stackhouse wrote:I'm not a religious follower of Maine hockey by any means, but just to clarify... Montgomery was hired while the "old regime" was in at Maine. So, if you want to dwell on the past that's all well and good. But ragging on the current administration for not bringing Montgomery to Maine is kind of like blaming Barron or Walsh for not reaching double-digit wins their first year here following... you know. Not like that has stopped anybody from doing so, of course.

100% agree. Letting Monty slip away falls directly on Abbotts shoulders.
augie

Postby fafan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:17 pm

augie wrote:
Sean Stackhouse wrote:I'm not a religious follower of Maine hockey by any means, but just to clarify... Montgomery was hired while the "old regime" was in at Maine. So, if you want to dwell on the past that's all well and good. But ragging on the current administration for not bringing Montgomery to Maine is kind of like blaming Barron or Walsh for not reaching double-digit wins their first year here following... you know. Not like that has stopped anybody from doing so, of course.

100% agree. Letting Monty slip away falls directly on Abbotts shoulders.

100% on Creech for giving Red 2 more years with nothing even remotely positive in the 3yrs he has been here except for Red seeking hockey alumni support. :(
fafan

Postby GoBlackBears » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 pm

What might have been if the university had people running it who have a clue.
GoBlackBears

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics