2009 UMaine Baseball Starting Line-Up

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

2009 UMaine Baseball Starting Line-Up

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 am

Who does everyone see in the starting line-up and pitching rotation for 2009?

My picks:

1B - Lugbauer/Mercurio
2B - Menendez
SS - Patane/Stilphen
3B - Lukas
LF - Lewis
CF - Cather
RF - McAvoy/Martin
C - Lubauer/Mercurio
DH - McAvoy/Martin

Starting Rotation:

#1 - Scanlan
#2 - Miller
#3 - Bazdanes
#4 - Bilodeau
#5 - Jebb
mainejeff

Re: 2009 UMaine Baseball Starting Line-Up

Postby TLukas » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:49 pm

mainejeff wrote:Who does everyone see in the starting line-up and pitching rotation for 2009?

My picks:
1B - Lugbauer/Mercurio?? (perhaps, but don't think JM will get the chance at first...but then who does, when Lugbauer is catching? ?)
2B - Menendez/Lukas
SS - Patane/Stilphen? (don't think that he can take the starting role from Patane next year)
3B - Lukas/Walton (I think he'll at least get a serious look/chance for the role)
LF - Lewis (or more likely a JuCo transfer ?)
CF - Cather (IF he's back, otherwise one of the incoming JuCo kids)
RF - McAvoy/Martin basically gonna be a LOT of competition for three outfield slots !!
C - Lubauer/Mercurio
DH - McAvoy/Martin etc !!

Starting Rotation:

#1/2 - Scanlan
#1/2 - Miller
#? - Bazdanes
#? - Bilodeau
#3 - Jebb
#4 - Latta, AJ, Cox (toss up on who has improved the most)
?? - Jillson (could be the surprise coming back healthy AND stronger ?)
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Any info. on the JUCO transfers that you can pass along? Why hasn't there been anything on the UM website about them?
mainejeff

Postby TLukas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:49 am

Nothing real specific MJ, just some "rumors" that in addition to the constant hunt for pitching, UMaine probably needs to look at beefing up their OF/Hitting with Smith, Oz, and now perhaps Cather out of the picture. IF looks okay at this point, so adding a "seasoned" outfielder or two would be logical (and maybe another C if there aren't any walk-ons). Best place to do that is through a couple of JuCo transfers, where there are some real high quality ballplayers, looking to "move up" (?) if they can get a decent offer. Won't know much probably until late-July, and nothing real solid til mid-August (about the time work on field is "scheduled" to start) ?
:roll:
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Postby chbazdanes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:58 am

Interesting Lineup

How does the Bullpen Shake-up/ Who's the setup guy, I just filled holes with uneducated guesswork

Please advise

Starting Rotation
1 - Scanlan
2 - Miller
3 - Bazdanes (09 Frosh)
4 - Bilodeau (09 Frosh)
5 – Jebb

Middle Relief
1. Klak (09 Frosh)
2. Balinsdile
3. Latta

Long Relief
1. Quinn (09 Frosh)
2. Forrest
3. Jillson
4. Balentina
5. Doonan

Setup
1. Pillar

Closer
1. Benoit

Charlie Bazdanes
chbazdanes

Postby TLukas » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:30 am

I think you have the expected/hoped for starters (for now) pretty much nailed chb; but there is so much young talent on this pitching squad anything could happen. Jillson comes back healthy, and even "only" at were he was as HS Sr., he's a southpaw starter! Jimmy Cox (you missed him) had some GREAT outings last year and could easily be THE clutch set-up/long relief guy along with Latta (thankless but critical role !). Balentine develops a bit over the summer, and .....???

I think biggest Q? right now might be the closer? Benoit can obviously bring it at 90+ for an inning or two (1.6 really), but bring it where is the question? (and will they get/let him just throw the d--- heat?, and lose all the fancy (and costly!) off-speed and pick-off move feces!?). Cox could also be the unexpected guy in the closer role (or Balentine?), or even Klax (I understand he went from a 7/8 to 8+ pitcher over this last year !? (and he seems to be a great kid to boot!)).

Hate to sound like a Red Sox fan (or at least how they used to sound), but "Man, just wait till next year! "

GO YANKEES !!!!!!!!!!
TLukas

Postby mainejeff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 pm

TLukas wrote:.......or even Klax (I understand he went from a 7/8 to 8+ pitcher over this last year !? (and he seems to be a great kid to boot!)).

I think that Klax made the biggest move during his senior year of all of the recruits. I bet that some programs (U. of Delaware, etc) wish they had made an effort to recruit this kid now. :)
mainejeff

Postby OldTownBaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Coach Trimper was quoted in the BDN as stating he would like to move Jarrett Lukas to second base and have Kyle Stilphen play third base. The infield may look like this: Lugbauer at 1B, Lukas 2B, Patane SS, Stilphen 3B. Shane Walton adds great depth defensively and is a class act. Danny Menendez could see time as the DH? I would imagine Mercurio and Lugbauer will be the catchers again. I think Cather is long gone to the pros, so they need someone to play CF. This lineup has the potential to put up some runs now that alot of the younger guys will be another year older and Lugbauer anchors the middle of it. Pitching should be vastly improved, and Lukas moving to middle infield will help his fielding pct tremendously as he is now free to show off his lateral range and quickness. Stilphen has a rocket arm and will transition to D1 ball very quickly. He is the real deal folks. Probably further along offensively than Martin, McAvoy, Lukas, etc were coming out from their senior years playing Maine HS ball.
OldTownBaseball

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics