College Coaching Openings

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

College Coaching Openings

Postby Messylonskee33 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Stephanie Pemper left Bowdion to take over a D-1 program (NAVY), so this left Bowdion with an opening which was just recently filled. Seems to me like a great hire, here is the article I dug up in the Times Record (Brunswick, ME).

<http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main.nsf/news.nsf/0/687AAFE3051A919F05257465004F7E83?Opendocument>

Also, looks like Thomas College Women's Basketball Team has a head coach opening as well. The program has seemed to struggle the last few years... any idea who the possible candidates will be for that job?

Did I read UMaine Machias and UMaine Augusta had openings as well?
Messylonskee33

Re: College Coaching Openings

Postby Trithreat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 am

Time will tell if Shibles is a great hire or not. Her latest record at Gould is not overly impressive, but I think she was highly recommended by Pemper for the Bowdoin spot. Hopefully, Bowdoin has picked a replacement that can keep the Polar Bears going strong.
Trithreat

Postby BLAR » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 pm

How does the saying go.... "Can't make chicken salad, out of ______".

Don' forget she had college coaching experience and was very success at the collegiate level...

From the press release:

At Swarthmore, she sparked a dramatic turnaround that saw the Garnet go from 7-17 one year prior to her arrival in 1997 to a school-record 23 wins and a Centennial Conference Championship just four years later. In her last five seasons at Swarthmore, Shibles averaged over 19 wins per year, qualified for the Centennial Conference Tournament four times, claimed the 2001 conference title and earned the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament bid. Overall, in nine years at Swarthmore, Shibles accumulated a school-record 138 wins against 96 losses and was named the WBCA District 4 Coach of the Year in 2001. During her tenure, she recruited and coached two Kodak All-Americans, an Academic All-American, a Josten's Trophy Recipient and two Conference Players of the Year. In addition, Swarthmore was a perennial member of the WBCA's Top-25 Academic Honor Roll under Shibles.

Sounds like she has the makings to continue with both the academic and athletic success that Bowdoin has developed recently.

I wish her good luck!!!
Last edited by BLAR on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLAR

Postby Smallball2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Blar, I'm sure the Gould players appreciated that. Never heard the saying and it was kinda comical but a different approach could have been used. Maybe use it on the Mets. At least they're getting paid.
Smallball2

Postby BLAR » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Poor word choice or analogy....

My point.....no summer basketball as a team. People coming from all over the state and potentially worldwide (no feeder program like other schools they compete against). Many of the athletes go to Gould for their Skiing programs (people are not going to Gould for basketball, they would choose somewhere different to tuition if for basketball), small school size to begin with (I believe all high school students NEED to play a sport to get credit, so some might not even want to be there). They just have a lot of things working against them. However, their players were some of the nicest players I have ever played against....
BLAR

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics