UMAINE 2009 Baseball Chat !

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

UMAINE 2009 Baseball Chat !

Postby TLukas » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:42 am

Okay, I'll go ahead and start a new thread focused on the UMaine 2009 Baseball Team, now that the NLI early signing period is underway, the work on Mahaney Diamond is looking GREAT !, and a "preliminary" (very ?) player roster is now posted on the Team website (even though an updated 2009 schedule is NOT ! (blame the SID for this, NOT the baseball program)).
[ P.S. - Sorry about starting this thread now !, as I know everyone would much rather chat about the upcoming UNE vs. USM basketball game(s), on multiple threads !, and ......... DON'T forget to download the giveaway coupon !!] :o

I would also LOVE to see someone else who closely follows the USM baseball team and program start a similar thread here, as the reality is that the USM baseball program is a highly successful program !! that Mainer's (current and former !) should be very proud of and support to the fullest ! (Beginning with an Annual !, 1 or 2 game UM v. USM series ! But, ... I'm still working on that one ! (and can use all the help and support I can get from UMaine and USM alumni and fans !?)).

So, NLI signings ?
Baseball Announces 2009 Recruiting Class
Black Bears to Add Four

Nov. 13, 2008

ORONO, Maine -- University of Maine baseball coach Steve Trimper announced today that his program has received National Letters of Intent from Francis Whitten (Westborough, Mass./Westborough High School), Mike Fransoso (Portsmouth, N.H./Portsmouth High School), Carlos Ramirez (Trumbull, Conn./St. Joseph High School) and Tyler Patzalek (Burlington, Ontario/Notre Dame High School). The class is expected to have an immediate impact on the Black Bears for the 2010 season.
http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/111308aaa.html

Now noticeably absent in the "official" UMaine release is mention of the kid from Scarborough that I was pretty sure was also going to commit, but a BDN article of 11/14 notes that "walk-on pitcher" Chris Bernard "is likely to join this group", confirming what I had heard. In his case, I believe that even if he has made a commitment to Maine, there may be restrictions on UM making any official announcement until he's actually accepted and enrolled. ...In any event, the four NLI commitments, and Bernard, break down to:

Mike Fransoso - SS - Portsmouth, NH; Portsmouth HS (and a strong LH hitter !)
Carlos Ramirez - OF/LHP - Trumball, CT; St. Joseph HS ("true athlete" with cannon arm, switch hitter !)
Tyler Patzalek - C/INF - Burlington, Ont.; Notre Dame HS (small, quick reaction build, true leader behind the plate - great def. catcher)
Francis Whitten - 1B/C - Westborough, MA; Westborough HS (BIG Kid - Myckie Lugbauer clone?, and also hits LH !)
Chris Bernard - RHP - Scarborough, ME; Scarborough, ME (mid-80s velocity with decent slider; also runs very well (pinch runner ?)

While a couple more LHP's would have been nice, these four will certainly help in planning for the future turnover in the stable of Catchers and middle infield that will occur on the squad over next year or two (could be down to only one returning catcher, and 5 INF (not counting 1B), in 2009-2010).

Mahaney Diamond ? One Word - GOURGEOUS !!!!! Left-side of the OF will obviously be done today/tomorrow, and by the end of next week it's gonna look (and be), a top-quality baseball field (and recruiting gem !?) ! Thanksgiving will have Special Meaning this year !!! .... And, I think the alternating shades of green on the "carpet" Look Great !, and I applaud the choice whoever was responsible (James ? Trimper ? or ???) http://130.111.170.13/user/cgi-bin/view_S_t_uF.thtml

Preliminary Roster ? http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/main-m-basebl-mtt.html
Looks like we are down to 31, and from what I understand, any "missing" names (Swett, Jillson, Walton) are a result of those players individual choices and decisions (i.e., rather than any "cuts" by the coaching staff).

Spring Schedule ? Parents have recently received a revised Spring 2009 schedule reflecting the addition of several games during the FLA trip (i.e., Duquesne, Ohio St., Miami-Ohio), and current spring schedule now reflects 54-55 games.

Season kicks off with a repeat of last years 4-game series at UNLV Feb. 20-22, followed by the same East Coast series v. Del.St. 2/28-3/1 (only 3 gms. this time). Florida trip (Winter Haven and Winter Park) runs 3/3 - 3/15, followed by a couple of non-conference weekend series in CT (Sacred Heart-3/21&22) and Staten Island (Wagner-3/27-29).
UMaine will then christen the new Mahaney Diamond with a 4-game series with Iona College April 3-5 ! AE Conference play starts the weekend of 4/10 at Hartford, with UMBC coming to Orono (at UMO ?!) the 4/17-19. Remainder of conference play is U-VT @ Orono (4/24), Maine @ Albany, Binghamton @ Orono and Maine @ Stony Brook (5/14-16). Sandwiched in there is a mid-week game against Holy Cross in Sanford (4/21) and a Thomas game (4/28).

That's Your UMaine Baseball Update for the Week of November 9 - 15, 2008; Please Join Us Again Next Week for More News and Discussion ! :D :D ;)
Last edited by TLukas on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Re: UMAINE 2009 Baseball Chat !

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 am

WOW! You the man TLukas! ;)

A few comments.........

1. Maine/USM series.......Can't Flaherty pull some strings and get a game at Hadlock??? That is the only way that I'd play them down there......otherwise, I agree that we should be playing USM in Orono every year.

2. Recruiting class seems a bit less "impressive" after 2 stellar ones. I'm sure that holes have been plugged and depth has been improved.

3. Mahaney Diamond........gotta give credit to James/Trimper/etc. for this one. I really didn't think that this was gonna happen......especially before winter. This is going to affect recruiting and scheduling BIG TIME!

4. Schedule......I won't go there ;) ......except to say that anything less than 30 wins would be a disappointment.
mainejeff

Postby TLukas » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Replaced this post with edits to the first post (confirming the actual NLI signees and other likely commitments).
Last edited by TLukas on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Postby TLukas » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:00 pm

mainejeff wrote:A few comments.........
1. Maine/USM series.......Can't Flaherty pull some strings and get a game at Hadlock??? That is the only way that I'd play them down there......otherwise, I agree that we should be playing USM in Orono every year.

Well, before we worry too much about WHERE, we gotta figure out how to get to the WHEN ! And to do that, we need to find out more about what the apparent obstacles have been to getting this annual match-up long before now ?

UMaine versus USM - Why Not ?? ...There may be some good reasons why it's not as easy as one would think, but I will have to ask around some more on this as so far I have yet to hear a good reason why it hasn't/doesn't happen. Hard to believe it can be explained as a scheduling or travel/cost issue, and we already know that UMaine schedules at least one D3 game every spring (Husson last year, Thomas next), but I don't know the restrictions on those (D3 games). But instead of Husson or Thomas, why not UMaine v. USM ? If not next spring (UMaine still perhaps has a game or two available ?), then absolutely in 2010 !

Personally, I would think two games, every Spring, would be great for the University of Maine System and the exposure of BOTH baseball programs, regardless of the game results ! Have one in Orono and one at Hadlock, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them be THE most well attended "home" games of the year for both teams, even as mid-week, late-afternoon games (and as night games, at Hadlock, - WOW !) ! And, gotta believe there'd definitely be some interest in carrying the game on radio and internet, even if it cost $5 to access !

Does anybody have a connection at USM that they can inquire to on this ?

Wonder where we'd be at if we could get both Coach Flaherty and Coach Trimper on the record as supporting this as an annual match-up, or at least explaining why they don't/can't ? Maybe there is a PPH or BDN sports reporter out there who would find this an interesting story to pursue and ask some questions about ? (and of course they all read the MBR postings and specifically this thread !) :D :o :twisted:
TLukas

Postby chbazdanes » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Where did the kid from Maine sign?? I tohught he was supposed to commit to Oreno?

....charlie
chbazdanes

Postby TLukas » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 pm

chb - the "kid from Maine" is the Chris Bernard kid from Scarborough that I've now noted in the first post. I consider him a "commitment", even if it's not "officially" released by the University as such at this time.

I believe it has to do with how his overall financial package may be structured and a requirement that because of that he actually has to apply and be accepted before any official announcement can be made (versus the other kids who are not subject to that requirement; as has been noted before, the NCAA rules are very complicated !, as I keep learning and learning !!, and Maine is very careful about ensuring compliance).

I do not know if any other Maine players were heavily recruited by UMaine, or even where some of the other top Seniors in the state may have received and returned NLI commitments (Flaherty to Vanderbilt ? Powers I think was talking about BC ? etc.) ? Usually that kind of news will show up in the local newspapers fairly soon thereafter, but I think it's safe to say that Maine is probably done for this signing period with these five guys, and we'll just have to wait and see what additions the spring signing period may bring ?
TLukas

Postby Fanodbears » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:57 pm

If your scholarship to the school is about in-state tuition and academic/financial aid then there is no NLI. The NLI intent is signed only by those who agree to athletic money. Once the other player gets his final financial rewards (non-athletic) The school may offer a Letter of Intent not National (It is a private organization). He acceprts the fianancial package and enrolls in the school.

Tough to explain ...help TLukas...Big question will be the affect on Maine's APR with all the kids that have left over the past 3 years
Fanodbears

Postby patfans08 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:48 pm

It was in the Press Herald today that Watson signed with BC. He is attending high school in Pompano Beach Florida.
patfans08

Postby chbazdanes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:16 pm

What do you think this class will be ranked out of the other 300 schools. Do you think this recruisting class is the best in the America East? I have not found releases from other schools commitment list??

.....charlie
chbazdanes

Postby chbazdanes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm

I took a quick crack at the recruits in the New England area and where they are headed. Who is got the best class in the area? I would guess BC and UCONN and surpisingly we signed a LHP with 80-82 velo (the next scanlan?) is the kids stuff that good bc i didn't think we were going after kids who barely break 80, no offense meant....
......charlie

Player Name HS State Position College
Kevin Bartlett East Lyme CT LHP Albany
Tim Murdick Averill Park NY RHP Albany
Jay Lynch West Chester East PA RHP Binghamton
Jimmy Dowdell Clearwater Central FL OF Boston College
Hunter Gordon Swampscott MA RHP Boston College
Matt Watson Deering ME C Boston College
Derrick Sylvester Franklin NH RHP Boston College
Andrew Del Colle Newark Academy NJ RHP Boston College
Matt Alvarez Princeton NJ RHP Boston College
Anthony Italiano St Anthony NY C Boston College