UMBC: Lessons for Maine

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMBC: Lessons for Maine

Postby Linguist » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 am

So a win in the conference finals to get to the NCAA.

The first team to ever beat a 1 seed as a 16.

Media darlings all over every sports channel.

A tight game in the Round of 32 with Kansas State that hung in the balance until the end.

What does all of this do for recruiting at UMBC? They will have to get a higher class of player now right? That opened the doors to kids who were thinking UMBC wasn't good enough and instead they were looking at CAA, A10 schools before right?

Also for those who say Maine should recruit like UMBC and find those close to home kids, let's look at their recruiting class for next year.

2018 Class
Jose Placer - PG - Orlando (LOI signed)
Jordan Goodwin - PG - Baltimore
Tahj Small - SG - Martinsville, VA
Jack Schweitz - SG - Frisco, TX (LOI Signed)

2019 Class
Josh Wallace - PG - Annapolis, MD
Heru Bligan - PG - Potomac, MD

So the only 2 guys they actually signed are from Orlando and Texas. They are in on Maryland guys, but as someone else mentioned before, in metro Baltimore the class and quality of a player is a touch different from what is offered in Maine.
Linguist

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:35 am

Just no. Recruiting locals from Baltimore county is vastly different than Penobscot county.

And that right there, folks, is your quote of the year thus far. :D :D :D

respectfully,
-the dude
thedude

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

Regarding 3 pt shooters in state, I would take Mike Gilman, his ability to shoot off the catch and run off screens is better than anyone I've seen. He can defend, has played against some of the states best defenders day in and day out.
HoopHopeful

Postby Countryboy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 am

if Walsh's recruits didn't jump ship a few years ago then UMO could have easily been UMBC this year in the NCAA tourney. Kids nowadays have no patience. Trust the process. Barron is going to mirror the WBB teams approach and have UMO Dancing 4-5 yrs from now...
Countryboy

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am

Countryboy wrote:if Walsh's recruits didn't jump ship a few years ago then UMO could have easily been UMBC this year in the NCAA tourney. Kids nowadays have no patience. Trust the process. Barron is going to mirror the WBB teams approach and have UMO Dancing 4-5 yrs from now...

Who?
dunbar

Postby fromthebench » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Good post hoop hopeful. I agree Mike Gilman is one of the best pure shooter's I've seen. He's headed to Thomas I think. Back to my original point. I know the Coaching staff has to use the scholarships on athlete's and size. My point is you need some shooters in practice to keep the starters honest. As I said, these guys are preferred walk-on types. What is the risk? You know it took Parise Rossignol a few years to become a contributor. I think you bring in a few and see if they earn their keep! You may be surprised! :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

fromthebench wrote:Good post hoop hopeful. I agree Mike Gilman is one of the best pure shooter's I've seen. He's headed to Thomas I think. Back to my original point. I know the Coaching staff has to use the scholarships on athlete's and size. My point is you need some shooters in practice to keep the starters honest. As I said, these guys are preferred walk-on types. What is the risk? You know it took Parise Rossignol a few years to become a contributor. I think you bring in a few and see if they earn their keep! You may be surprised! :)

fromthebench: Agree. Think Joe Campbell, Bangor, from walkon to starting scholarship player @ Maine in a year or 2.

Gilman best shooter I saw in Maine High school ball this year.

Great range. As good as any 3 point shooter Maine men had this year.

He is better than a D-3 player, too bad no D-2 or another D-1 schools here in Maine.

A year of prep school and some low major at least D-1 or D-2ers (like Bentley) would be knocking on his door. Surprised there haven't been this year.

Just my opinion.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm

I agree with you on Gilman. He played in the SMAA and saw double teams, face guarding and junk defenses for three years and still scored 1000 points. The SMAA is well coached and I can tell you, the better players don't get any clean looks. That's why I think Moss will exceed expectations. He got 20 a game despite every opponent using strategies designed to slow him down. Against single coverage look out! (and that's why I also think you should look for some local walk-ons, Maine teams rarely have more than 2-3 good players and they play night in and night out against the aforementioned defensive strategies)
fromthebench

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Gilman has alot of potential, on Moss, he is a crafty player but no one he has played against in Maine will replicate what he may face defensively. I will hold out my juddgemebt on his impact until I see him compete
HoopHopeful

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

HoopHopeful wrote:Gilman has alot of potential, on Moss, he is a crafty player but no one he has played against in Maine will replicate what he may face defensively. I will hold out my juddgemebt on his impact until I see him compete

"HoopeHopeful". That could be said of any Maine high school boys player directly from high school to any D-1 program. That is why it's really important that Mainers go to prep school from high school. If they can't get a prep school scholarship then they are not probably D-1 prospects.

However, if they get one and go then they will really know what level of D-1 that they belong by the grouping of teams that give him the most offers. Group of most D-1 schools offering Maine high school players is usually is low Major.

D-1 recruiters don't want high school players to go prep because they are afraid that they may lose them to someone else who has not offered right out of high school. They would rather get them right away and then red-shirt the player if they need to.

The only time D-1 prospects/parents are in control of the recruiting situation is until they sign on the dotted line of their letter of intent on April 11th or after.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics