[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Moss

Moss

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Moss

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 am

Portland’s Moss: I just can’t wait to go up there and play
The senior guard decides to stay close to home and play for UMaine.

...Portland Coach Joe Russo was with Moss as Barron gave him a tour of Maine’s team facilities last Friday at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.

The next night at the Mr. Maine Basketball dinner, Moss announced his intention to accept Barron’s offer.

“People have asked me, ‘isn’t he an undersized point guard at that level,’ ” Russo said. “I said, in stature only. He plays really much bigger than that because of his savvy, his ball-handling skills, his quickness, his leaping ability and his defense. He can not only play that position, he can defend that position. Terion actually epitomizes that position.”

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/12/ ... st-option/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby umaine67 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 am

Tom, appreciate your sentiments.
But ...
Fleming is listed at 6-7. That's big enough to be a factor at any level, if one has the talent.
He averaged 9.7 points/5.3 rebounds per game this season.
That's a decent "role player," not much more.
I've seen him play a number of times. He's right where he should be, at the lowest level of Division 1 basketball. He's "solid" at this level, but couldn't play (couldn't be a significant factor) at even a half step higher level. Just my opinion, of course.
Could he play in the MAAC? Maybe on some of the lesser teams. Could he play in the A-10/CAA? Not a chance.

Maine players are under recruited?
They all get out on the AAU circuit, hundreds of college coaches are at all those events. If a Maine kid is real good, he's going to be seen and he's going to be recruited.
Coaches "follow the path" of bringing in talented players, doesn't matter where they're from. That's how they keep their jobs, that's the "established path."

If you believe your contention that coaches overlook kids from Maine, then how do you explain the heavy recruitment of female players from Maine ... by Villanova/Fordham/Boston Univ./Marist. Those schools have girls already in place.
Gracie Martin is probably going to Harvard. Mackenzie Holmes is being recruited at the high-major level. Faith Blethen, I think, is going to George Washington. And, I'm sure that I'm forgetting many.

As for Coach Russo's comments. No h.s. coach is going to ever say anything bad about one of their players.

Actually, very few (if any) college coaches go after players they can't get. Why waste the time?

Young Fleming? I'll admit that I haven't seen him. You have, so your credibility on him is greater than mine.

But, you admit that strength/quickness/defensive ability/scoring ability are all questionable? No wonder he isn't being recruited. Those are pretty much all the needed skill sets. So, how does the fact that he lacks in all of those skill sets qualify him to play higher than the Division 2 level?
If he doesn't have that skill set by now, how does he project to being a good Division 1 player?

I think we'll respectfully agree to disagree on most of this.

I have seen young Moss play a number of times. I still question his ability to have an impact at Division 1, even at Maine. I see a lot of deficiencies. Hope I'm wrong because Maine definitely needs a good PG. There certainly have been instances of smaller and overlooked players turning out to be decent college players. Let's hope this is one.
umaine67

Postby fromthebench » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Gotta go with Tom on this one. Maine can't afford to miss out on the homegrown kid. They have no shot at elite out of state talent and when they do recruit someone who puts up decent numbers they transfer immediately using us as Maine Prep. The two times Maine passed on a highly talented homegrown kid (Wassenburgh,Keeling and MacFarland, Woodward) the program went into a nosedive and the coach lost his job.

The margin is too slim to not take a chance on the local kids who history has proven not only exceed expectations but stick around and lead us to winning records their Junior and Senior years. One other factor: Of the out of state players that do stick around, over 90% came from Massachusetts or closer. The hometown pull is strong and if they are from away their AAU coach is angling to get them to a bigger program...
fromthebench

Postby Muchups » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 pm

I agree with Tom.

And, I have little doubt that Moss will succeed at Maine. The fact is that Maine kids are under-recruited. Yes, once in awhile you have a no brainer like Medley (who was a McDonald's all-america finalist meaning he was ranked in top 50 nationally) but most players don't fit that mold. Recruiting is not an exact science and often kids from Maine are overlooked or down graded just because they're from Maine. Look at Tom's list of successful D-1 Mainers who weren't recruited as proof.
Muchups

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm just stating my observations from being on the circuit for decades... Maine kids can play, often the issue is not being physically ready ...
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Hoping for a couple more transfers so Barron can fill out the roster with his guys! :) Would love White, Bryant, Lowndes & Eze to stay.....the rest? Meh.
mainejeff

Postby Carl Parker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I believe Terion is a good get for Maine. He is a gym rat and much more athletic than most people believe. A key component to his success,is an intangible and that he is a winner, he has won in H.S. and in AAU playing for the Blue Wave program. He also played a major role in the late season success of the football program. If he does not play a major role during his career than Maine will be very good because they will have a heck of a player, playing ahead of him.
Carl Parker

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Tom Nolette wrote:I'm just stating my observations from being on the circuit for decades... Maine kids can play, often the issue is not being physically ready ...

Tom: You know I agree with you on Maine kids and as you stated above "Maine kids can play, often the issue is not being physically ready".

That is why I have always advocated that Maine kids should go to prep school after high school for a year if they want to try to be an impact player by their sophomore year at a D-1 school.

Who do you think the person that umaine67 was referring to in the post on page 3 of this thread the 6th post down.

But, I've seen this debate in this forum before, mostly "championed" by the guy who time has passed by.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby bulldog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:24 pm

bcbc55 wrote: "Maine kids can play, often the issue is not being physically ready".

Coach Cim...I agree there are Maine kids that can play at this level, but I believe it is more of a mentality/confidence component that is the issue. At the DI level, if there is any bit of doubt, the player is in trouble. I believe those that are the most successful and are able to compete right away are the ones that play with a chip on their shoulders! "Have no doubt when you take the court, field, diamond, pitch..."
bulldog

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:12 pm

bulldog wrote:
bcbc55 wrote: "Maine kids can play, often the issue is not being physically ready".

Coach Cim...I agree there are Maine kids that can play at this level, but I believe it is more of a mentality/confidence component that is the issue. At the DI level, if there is any bit of doubt, the player is in trouble. I believe those that are the most successful and are able to compete right away are the ones that play with a chip on their shoulders! "Have no doubt when you take the court, field, diamond, pitch..."

"bulldog": Agree with you.

If a high school player can not get a scholarship to a prep school after graduating from high school he is probably not a D-1 prospect.

There are many advantages to prep school if player can get a scholarship to a prep school.

Besides the obvious advantages such as the physical, mental, social, another year to grow, get used to being away from home, longer, harder and more competitive practices and longer game schedule, the biggest thing is that they will know what level of D-1 that they truly belong at because which grouping of schools RPI (Rating Percentage Index) and SOS (Strength of Schedule) for the teams and conferences that they play in offer them the most scholarships.

It is certainly better than having to red shirt at a low D-1 school in low major category. Red shirting is good for the school but bad for the player because if they decide they want to transfer then they only get 3 years to play if they go to another D-1 school because of the 5 years to play four NCAA rule and they lose a year for each red shirt they take.

So let's say the RPI rankings for the most teams offering is in the 250 to 300 then that is the level that they probably belong at.

Nice to see you back posting here on MBR as you offer a lot to MBR with your thoughtful, informative, interesting, timely, relevant and insightful questions, posts and post responses.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics