Men's basketball 2016-17::

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Seven of Maine’s Top Players Commit to UMF

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:43 am

Seven of Maine’s Top Players Commit to UMF

FARMINGTON, Maine -- University of Maine at Farmington men's basketball roster will tip-off the 2016-17 season with some of the top high school boys' basketball players in the state of Maine. Seven of the state's premiere players have recently committed to enrolling at UMF to further their education and athletic careers.

UMF head men's basketball coach, Dick Meader, will have seven All-Conference selections, four Maine Association of Basketball Coaches (MABC) McDonald's All-Stars, two league Players of the Year, two First Team All-State selections, and two Maine Mr. Basketball semifinalists coming to campus next fall.

"Our goal each year is to recruit the top Maine players. As a state university, we believe it is important that our roster represents the state and is a place for talented Maine players to continue their basketball career. HIstorically, we have prided ourselves on being the only team to consistently win with a solid group of Maine players," Meader explained about his recruiting philosophy.

In Meader's tenure at UMF, a total of 132 players have worn a Beavers uniform with 119 of them being a product of Maine high schools. During Meader's time on the sidelines, UMF made the conference playoffs 19 times, advanced to 11 semifinal games, and four conference championship contests, including capturing the 2009-10 North Atlantic Conference Championship where the Beavers' 15-man roster was constructed of all Pine Tree State residents.

Amir Moss, a 6-0 guard from Portland High School, averaged 19.9 points and 8.0 rebounds per game for the Bulldogs. Moss was a Maine Mr. Basketball semifinalist and garnered Maine Telegram Player of the Year, Bangor Daily News First Team All-State, Southwestern Maine Activities Association (SMAA) Player of the Year, and MABC McDonald's All-Star honors. Moss shot 58.0% from the floor this past winter and led the Bulldogs to their second state championship in the last three seasons as he poured in a game-high 27 points in Portland's State Championship win over South Portland. In making his decision Moss said, "I felt like there was no better place than UMF to face life's next challenge of furthering my education while also competing for a conference championship." Moss plans on beginning his studies in the Liberal Arts Undecided program.

Riley Robinson, a 6-3 guard and forward dual threat, averaged 28.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 5.9 assists in his final season at Dirigo High School. "I chose UMF because I felt the academics and athletics were the best fit for me. I really liked and trusted the coaches," Riley expressed about the chance to play for Coach Meader. Like Moss, Robinson was a Maine Mr. Basketball semifinalist, Bangor Daily News First Team All-State, and Maine Telegram All-Star selection. Robinson was a three-time Mountain Valley Conference (MVC) Player of the Year and finished his career as a Cougar with 1,974 points. Robinson plans to major in Business Economics.

Isaac Witham, a 6-1 guard from Skowhegan High School, tallied over 1,000 career points for the Indians. As a senior, Witham earned First Team All-Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference (KVAC) honors while leading Skowhegan to their first tournament appearance since 2010. Witham was amongst the KVAC leaders in points and three-point field goals. "UMF appealed to me because of the community based campus and the sense of family. When I graduate I hope to continue my basketball career as a coach and UMF has proved to be a great avenue for anyone interested in coaching." Witham will major in Secondary Education and minor in Coaching.

Billy Ruby, a 6-3 guard and forward combination, comes to Farmington from Gorham High School. Ruby had a stellar senior season by averaging 15.9 points and 7.8 rebounds. The crafty guard/forward dished 2.6 assists and recorded 2.4 steals per game. Ruby was named a Maine Telegram All-State Team and SMAA First Team recipient. "Once I visited campus for Accepted Students Day, I knew UMF was the right place for me," Ruby stated. "I plan on majoring in education and Farmington's reputation is second to none when it comes to teaching." Ruby plans on majoring in Secondary Education.

Anthony Owens, a 6-5 center from Winthrop High School, narrowly averaged a double-double with 9.8 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest and guided the Ramblers to the Class C Southern Maine Finals. Owens earned MABC McDonald's All-Star and First Team All-MVC status. "UMF is perfect for me within a small community and the opportunity to play basketball," Owens said excitedly. Owens will enroll in the Business Economics major and possibly minor in Coaching.

Jordan Lamb, a 6-4 forward from Gardiner High School, joins Owens in the front court after collecting a First Team All-KVAC award for his efforts on the court. "I chose to attend UMF because I believe I can have success as a Beaver on and off the court," Lamb expressed. Lamb averaged a double-double for the Tigers with 14.1 points and grabbed 11.1 rebounds off the glass. Lamb was amongst the KVAC leaders in points, rebounds, and blocked shots. Lamb will major in Business Economics.

Chase Malloy, a 6-3 forward from Madison High School, posted 16.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game for the Bulldogs as senior. Malloy was a MABC McDonald's All-Star and a First Team All-MVC selection. Malloy will also be a two-sport athlete at UMF as he will look to join the Beavers' baseball team, who is coming off a school-record 23-win season in 2016. "I chose UMF because it is affordable for my family and I have the opportunity to be a multi-sport athlete." Malloy will major in Biology with a Pre-Physical Therapy track.

In the classroom, the group averaged a 3.52 grade point average and enrolled in numerous Advanced Placement (AP) and honor courses at their respective high schools. Notably, UMF is recognized as a cradle of coaches and four of the incoming freshmen were coached by Beaver alumni.

"Associate Head Coach Dan Kane took the lead role in assembling this outstanding recruiting class and did a great job identifying players who are a great fit for UMF on the court, in the classroom, and in the community. Each recruit was an All-Conference player and has the ability to be a quality NCAA Division III student-athlete. We look forward to winning many games with our Maine players," Meader expressed about his incoming recruiting class.

UMaine-Farmington opens the season on November 18 against Wheelock College.

UMF release: http://goumfbeavers.com/sports/mbkb/201 ... 0602cgu2uf
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Seven of Maine’s Top Players Commit to UMF

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:52 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Husson hosts boys basketball summer camp

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:50 am

Husson hosts boys basketball summer camp

BANGOR - More than 100 stars of tomorrow packed Newman Gymnasium Thursday for one of the final days of the Husson boys basketball camp, and some of its current stars were there in support.

Several Eagles basketball players were in attendance for the festivities this week, supervising the kids as they scrimmaged throughout different age groups. Senior guard Alonzo McCain was among them, and felt good about donating his time to promoting the game.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/15 ... ummer-camp
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Top Maine players heading to Husson

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:42 am

Husson women land 2 Mainers

The Husson University women’s basketball program has received commitments from two former eastern Maine three-sport standouts.

Bangor High School graduate Sarah Bragg and Gardiner’s Morgan Carver will join coach Kissy Walker’s team this season. Each played basketball, softball and soccer in high school.

Bragg averaged 11.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and 1.9 assists and shot 69 percent from the foul line last season for coach Joe Johnson’s Rams.

scroll down to story
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/04/s ... t-coaches/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Top Maine players heading to Husson

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:00 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Colby: Connelly to play basketball on tour in Spain

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:50 am

Connelly to play basketball on tour in Spain

WATERVILLE, Maine — Colby College’s Joe Connelly (Brookline, Mass./Beaver Country Day) will play for the 2016 Select Team Basketball Goodwill Tour during a trip to Spain from Aug. 9-16.

Connelly will play games in Barcelona, Valencia, and Madrid. He is one of 10 players on a team coached by Bucknell University assistant coach Joe Meehan.

Connelly, a senior in the 2016-17 academic year, plays at shooting guard for the Colby men’s basketball team. He played in all 25 games last year, averaged 3.2 points per game, shot nearly 89 percent from the foul line, and played about 13 minutes a contest.

Connelly will play with nine other juniors and seniors. The rest of the squad includes: Bucknell’s John Azzinaro, Oberlin College’s Nathan Cohen, Widener University’s Kendall Green, Widener’s Sardayah Sambo, Lebanon Valley College’s Brett Gilbert, Bucknell’s Nana Foulland, University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown’s Jacob Laravie, Johns Hopkins University’s Jesse Flannery, and Virginia Wesleyan College’s Tyrell Thomas.

http://www.colby.edu/athletics/2016/08/ ... -in-spain/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Bowdoin: Lucas Hausman Signs To Play Pro Ball in Spain

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:06 am

Lucas Hausman Signs To Play Professional Basketball In Spain

Lucas Hausman is Bowdoin's first NABC All American since Nick Browning in 1994 Lucas Hausman is Bowdoin's first NABC All American since Nick Browning in 1994
Aug 22, 2016
BRUNSWICK, Maine - Former Bowdoin standout men's basketball player Lucas Hausman has signed a contract to play professionally in Spain.

One of the most accomplished men's basketball players in Bowdoin history, Hausman was the 2015 NESCAC Player of the Year and a First Team NABC All-American. As a senior, he established a new single-season Bowdoin and NESCAC record for scoring average (25.1/game).

Hausman signed with Basket Villa de Mieres 2012 and will report to the club next month, according to this article from the Westport News.

http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/mbk ... 0822mfjkmx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

MBB: MMA taking unique preseason trip to Canada

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:01 am

MMA basketball taking unique preseason trip to Canada

CASTINE - "This is the worst time because the season is so close, yet so far," according to Maine Maritime head basketball coach David Muchnick.

However, that's not the case for his squad. The Mariners have already begun their preseason practices, thanks to a unique trip to Canada for two exhibition games in Montreal - a rarity for teams at their level.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/16 ... -to-canada
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB: MMA taking unique preseason trip to Canada

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:29 am

Monks Athletics ‏@SJCmonks
MEN'S HOME BASKETBALL SCHEDULE IS NOW OUT!! #MonksMatchup #GoMonks https://t.co/xAmc29GPAm
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB: MMA taking unique preseason trip to Canada

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 am

SMCC Seawolves ‏@SMCCseawolves
Look out @YSCC8, the SeaWolves working on their transition D. #wolfpack

video: https://twitter.com/SMCCseawolves/statu ... 1372112897
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)