Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am

2015 Southern Maine Men's Soccer Schedule

Date Opponent Notes Result Time/Status Links
September
Tue 1 at Saint Joseph's (Me.) T, 1-1 Final - 2OT Box Score Recap
Fri 4 Westfield St. Husky Fall Classic W, 1-0 Final Box Score Recap
Sat 5 Bridgewater St. Husky Fall Classic L, 3-1 Final Box Score Recap
Wed 9 at Thomas 7:30 PM Live stats
Fri 11 at Husson 4th Annual Husson University Eagles Challenge Cup 7:30 PM Live stats
Sat 12 vs. Castleton 4th Annual Husson University Eagles Challenge Cup 5:00 PM
Sat 19 Keene St. * 12:00 PM Live stats Video
Sat 26 at Mass.-Boston * 5:00 PM
Wed 30 Me.-Farmington 4:30 PM Live stats Video

October
Sat 3 Plymouth St. * 12:00 PM Live stats Video
Tue 6 at Bowdoin 4:00 PM Video
Sat 10 at Mass.-Dartmouth * 1:00 PM
Sat 17 Eastern Conn. St. * 2:30 PM Live stats Video
Mon 19 U. of New England 4:00 PM Live stats Video
Sat 24 at Western Conn. St. * 1:00 PM Live stats
Tue 27 at Salem St. 7:00 PM
Sat 31 at Rhode Island Col. * 1:00 PM
Home games in bold.
*Conference Game
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Soccer - men 2015: University of Southern Maine

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

2015 Southern Maine Men's Soccer Roster

No. Name Cl. Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown/Previous School
0 Ian Byron Jr GK 6-0 165 North Yarmouth, ME / Greely
1 Simon Hulbert Fr. GK 6-0 145 Bar Harbor, ME / Mount Desert Island
2 William Pearsall Sr. B 6-0 155 Garland, ME / Dexter Regional
4 Qutaiba Hassoon So. M 5-9 145 Portland, ME / Deering
5 MK Mohamed So. D 5-8 129 Lewiston, ME / Lewiston
6 Samuel Anderson Fr. M 6-0 155 Bristol, CT / Bristol Central
8 Jay McStowe Jr. F 5-8 165 Plymouth, MA / Plymouth North
9 Niko Milanoski Fr. F 5-8 166 Brunswick, ME / Gim Miece Acen
10 Yousif Altewaijry Fr. M 5-4 121 South Portland, ME / Al Husson School
11 Adam Simpson Sr. M 5-9 135 Scarborough, ME / Greater Portland Christian School
12 Zack Gryskwicz Fr. M 5-10 158 Standish, ME / Bonny Eagle
13 Jonathan Varney Jr. B/M 5-7 155 Readfield, ME / Maranacook
14 Ahmed Adnan Fr. D 5-7 128 Portland, ME / Casco Bay
15 Travis Grant So. D 5-11 165 Gorham, ME / Gorham
17 Jonathan Bobe Fr. F 6-1 141 Portland, ME / Portland
18 Bailey Fontaine Fr. M 5-8 140 Biddeford, ME / Biddeford
19 Charles Moody Fr. M 5-9 166 Old Town, ME / Old Town
20 Christopher Pepin Fr. M 5-10 158 Bowdoinham, ME / Mount Ararat
21 Randolph Merced Fr. F 5-11 160 Galloway, NJ / Absegami
22 Trevor Brackley Fr. M 6-1 150 Strong, ME / Mt. Abram
23 Ibrahim Mohamed So. D 5-7 137 Lewiston, ME / Lewiston
24 Kyle Curley Jr. B 6-3 190 Gorham, ME / Gorham
25 Matthew Jones Jr. D 6-1 185 South Portland, ME / South Portland
26 TJ Reagan Jr. B 5-9 155 Standish, ME / Bonny Eagle
27 Mohamed Abdi Fr. D 5-6 133 Lewiston, ME / Lewiston
28 Robert Stowe So. D 5-7 150 Hampden, ME / Hampden Academy
30 Jonathan Cross Sr. M 6-0 220 Pembroke, MA / Boston College High School
32 Kevin Dowling Fr. GK 5-10 125 Stamford, VT / McCann Technical
33 Julian Zepeda Fr. M 5-6 150 Dover-Foxcroft, ME / Foxcroft Academy
34 Justin Pierce So. D 6-4 185 Standish, ME / Mount Ararat
Head Coach: Mike Keller (UMaine Farmington '85; 12th season at USM)
Assistant Coaches: Jeff Neal, John Morgan, Marc Goulet
Captains: Kyle Curley, Jonathan Varney
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

Freshmen Bobe and Hulbert Lead USM to 1-1 2OT Draw With St. Joseph's

STANDISH, Maine – Freshman Jonathan Bobe (Portland, Maine) scored his first intercollegiate goal in the 41st minute to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies a 1-1, double-overtime draw with the St. Joseph's College Monks Tuesday afternoon at Westerlea Way Field.
With both teams competing in their season-opening match, Southern Maine stands at 0-0-1 on the season as does St. Joseph's College. It is the second straight season that the Huskies and Monks have battled into overtime and just the fourth time in the 27-game history between the two schools. USM leads the series 13-10-4.

Bobe's first intercollegiate goal broke open a scoreless match to put the Huskies ahead 1-0. Bobe's initial shot deflected out of bounds yielding a Southern Maine corner kick. Husky senior Adam Simpson (Scarborough, Maine/Greater Portland Christian School) took the corner and Bobe completed the play with 40:32 gone in the first half.

Southern Maine led St. Joseph's until the 62nd minute when freshman Brett Mattos (Mahopac, N.Y.) scored his first goal of the season off an assist from sophomore Austin Bell (Gorham, Maine) to net the equalizer. The Monks pressured Southern Maine for the remainder of regulation, outshooting the Huskies 8-0 (three on net), but the score remained unchanged as Husky rookie goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) made three saves.

While USM did not get a shot off in the first overtime, the Monks registered just one shot in the the period having a chance from Bell sail wide right. In the second overtime, St. Joseph's outshot USM 3-0, but Hulbert turned back the Monks' one shot on goal to keep the draw.

Hulbert made four saves for the Huskies, while St. Joseph's senior Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho) made two saves.

Southern Maine returns to action on Friday (4:00 p.m.) when it hosts Westfield State as part of the Husky Fall Classic. Southern Maine hosts Westfield State, Coast Guard and Bridgewater State. Coast Guard vs. Bridgewater State will precede the USM game at 1:30 p.m. St. Joseph's College travels to local rival University of New England on Friday (7:00 p.m.).

–cac–
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am

Curley and Varney Named 2015 Men’s Soccer Captains

GORHAM, Maine – Juniors Jonathan Varney (Readfield, Maine/Maranacook) and Kyle Curley (Gorham, Maine) have been named captains of the 2015 University of Southern Maine Huskies men's soccer team. Head coach Mike Keller made announcement as the Huskies' prepared for their season-opening match at St. Joseph's College today at 5:00 p.m.

Both Varney and Curley are returning for their second season as the Huskies' on-and-off-the-field leaders having served as team captains during their sophomore season in 2014.

"Jonathan and Kyle have consistently demonstrated their ability to lead throughout their careers," noted Keller. "Their play on the field and their leadership and commitment to team success will be vital."

Having played in 33 games over two seasons with 23 starting assignments, Varney is coming off of a strong sophomore campaign that included one goal and a pair of assists from the midfield. Varney's lone goal of the season was a big one for the Huskies', securing a 1-0 overtime win against St. Joseph's College (September 10). Varney's assist in a 3-1 win over UMaine Farmington was to the game-winning goal in the second half.

Curley played and started in all 18 of the Huskies' games last season directing the defense. An adept defender, Curley also contributed to the Southern Maine offense recording one goal and one assist for three points. Curley's goal in the Huskies' 1-1 overtime tie with Worcester State marked the first of his career. The Huskies were trailing the Lancers 1-0 late in the game before Curley sent in the rebound off of a corner kick.

Picked to finish eighth in the 2015 Little East Conference preseason poll, the Huskies will vie for one of four playoffs spots for the Little East Conference tournament. The top four teams in the final regular season conference standings will compete for the 2015 Little East Men's Soccer Championship, with the top two seeds hosting the semifinal games on November 4. The Championship match is schedule for November 7, with the winner receiving the conference's automatic bid to the 2015 NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am

Anderson Nets Late Game-Winner: Southern Maine 1, Westfield State 0

GORHAM, Maine – Freshman Samuel Anderson (Bristol, Conn./Bristol Central) scored his first intercollegiate goal in the 82nd minute to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 1-0 win over the Westfield State University Owls in the second game of the 2015 Husky Fall Classic Friday afternoon at Hannaford Field.
Anderson's late-game heroics broke up a scoreless match lifting the Huskies to their first win of the season. Southern Maine is now 1-0-1. Westfield State drops its second game in as many chances to stand at 0-2.

After an evenly played first half, both teams returned to the pitch locked in a 0-0 battle. The Huskies' pressured early, but were unable to capitalize. Anderson had a chance on a corner in the 55th minute connecting on a service from sophomore Qutaiba Hassoon (Portland, Maine/Deering, but his header sailed high over the frame. The Owls' also had opportunities of their own, including a solid strike from sophomore Connor Townsend (Wilmington, Mass.) in the 72nd minute, but Husky freshman goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) was up to the task making the save.

Southern Maine continued to push forward and had a near-goal called off in the 78th minute for an offside infraction before Anderson delivered the win. Following the offside call, USM won a ball in the middle of the field and freshman Jonathan Bobe (Portland, Maine)sped away down the right side getting in behind the Owl defense. With Owls sophomore keeper Marc Patnaude (North Andover, Mass.) charging off of his line, Bobe sent a perfectly placed ball to a streaking Anderson for the goal and the Huskies' win.

Patnaude finished the game making three saves in the loss. Hulbert earned the shutout for USM making six saves, including four in the second half.

Southern Maine hosts Bridgewater State on Saturday (4:00 p.m.) in the final game of the 2015 Husky Fall Classic. Westfield State will face Coast Guard at 1:30 p.m. Bridgewater State defeated Coast Guard 2-0 in the opening game of the classic. BSU's Conor Murtagh had both goals.

–cac–
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:03 am

Bridgewater State Shoots Past Southern Maine 3-1

GORHAM, Maine – Senior Andrew Chenard (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake) scored a pair of second half goals, including the eventual game-winne, to lead the Bridgewater State University Bears to a 3-1 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in the final game of the 2015 Husky Fall Classic Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.
The win is the second straight for the Bears who stand at 2-1. BSU defeated Coast Guard 2-0 on Friday. Southern Maine, a 1-0 winner over Westfield State, suffers its first loss of the season to stand at 1-1-1.

BSU got on the board early taking a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute as junior Jonathan Pires (Medford, Mass.) headed in a goal off of a set piece. Pires connected with a lofted ball from senior Sawyer Fleck (Foxboro, Mass.). The score remained 1-0 in favor of the Bears despite BSU holding a 13-0 advantage in shots. Husky freshman goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) kept his team within striking distance in the first half registering seven of his 11 saves, including an outstanding diving save on an attempt from BSU senior Conor Murtagh (Walpole, Mass.) in the 31st minute.

Southern Maine picked up the pace in the second half and had the first real scoring opportunity of period when Husky senior Jonathan Cross (Pembroke, Mass./Boston College HS) put one on frame forcing BSU junior goalkeeper Colin Jepson (Sandwich, Mass./Upper Cape Cod Regional Vocational) to make a save. However, BSU would strike first in the second half as Chenard scored the first of his two goals in the 50th minute. Chenard benefitted from a tremendous individual effort from Murtagh – who carried the ball down the left side of the field and centered a ball to a wide open Chenard for an easy goal.

Chenard doubled the Bears lead six minutes later with an opportunistic header. Chenard was in the right place as the right time as a misdirected header gave him a good look at the net for a 3-0 BSU.

The Huskies continued to fight, however, despite the deficit. Senior Jon Varney (Portland, Maine/Maranacook) had solid attempt forcing Jepson to make a diving save to his left in the 59th minute. The Huskies broke up the shutout in the 70th minute as junior Kyle Curley (Gorham, Maine) converted a penalty kick after a BSU foul in the box. With a pair of solid chance in the remaining 20 minutes, Southern Maine had credible opportunities for at least one more goal but was unable to get any more on the scoreboard for the 3-1 final.

Hulbert finished the game making 11 saves in the loss. Jepson earned the win turning back three of the Huskies' shots. BSU finished the game with a 21-6 advantage in shots and 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Southern Maine returns to action on Wednesday (7:30 p.m.) when it travels to Thomas College. Bridgewater State hosts Plymouth State on Saturday (4:00 p.m.).

In the first game of the day, Coast Guard defeated Westfield State 6-1. Lukas Benedetto and Austin Read each scored two goals to lead the Bears (1-2) to their first win of the season. Westfield State's Brodie Keene was responsible for the Owls (0-3) lone goal of the game.

NOTES:

2015 Husky Fall Classic All-Tournament Team:

Bridgewater State – Nicholas Keddie (MVP), Conor Murtagh, Andrew Chenard
Southern Maine – Kyle Curley, Jonathan Bobe, Sam Anderson
Coast Guard – AJ Reid, Lukas Benedetto, Kyle Phillips
Westfield State – Kory McGilvray, Zack Carlson, Connor Gilbert

–cac–
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:03 am

Jonathan Bobe Named Little East Conference Rookie of the Week

GORHAM, Maine – Freshman Jonathan Bobe (Portland, Maine) of the University of Southern Maine Huskies' men's soccer team has been named the Little East Conference Rookie of the Week after helping the Huskies to a 1-1-1 start to the 2015 season. Bobe is earning the first conference weekly citation of the season.

A forward, Bobe tallied a goal and an assist in three games. In the Huskies' season-opener, Bobe recorded his first intercollegiate goal to help his team to a 1-1 double overtime draw at St. Joseph's College (Maine). In Southern Maine's 1-0 win over Westfield State in his team's first game of the 2015 Husky Fall Classic, Bobe assisted on the game-winning goal in the 82nd minute. Bobe put forth a tremendous individual effort en route the score, winning the ball at midfield and carrying it down the right side of the field before finding his classmate Samuel Anderson (Bristol, Conn./Bristol Central) wide open in front of the box for the goal. Bobe was selected to the Husky Fall Classic All-Tournament team for his play, along with teammates junior Kyle Curley (Gorham, Maine) and Anderson.

Southern Maine returns to action on the road when it travels to Thomas College on Wednesday (7:30 p.m.) for a non-conference game in Waterville, Maine.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:21 am

Big Second Half Propels Thomas Over Southern Maine 6-1

WATERVILLE, Maine – Sophomore Willie Clemons (Paget, Bermuda/Warwick Academy) had a goal and four assists to lead the Thomas College Terriers to a 6-1 win over the University of Southern Maine Wednesday evening at Smith Field.
With the win, Thomas earns its first victory of the season to improve to 1-2. The Huskies, suffering their second straight loss, drops to 1-2-1.

After a scoreless 24 minutes, the Terriers broke through in the 25th minute for the first of their two first-half goals. Thomas freshman Josh Emard (Lebanon, Maine/Noble) knocked in a goal on an assist from Clemons before Clemons scored a goal of his own in the 39th minute for a 2-0 Terrier lead at the break.

Southern Maine rallied to cut its deficit to one goal in the 65th minute when Husky freshman Randolph Merced scored the first goal of his intercollegiate career off of an assist from classmate Christopher Pepin. The 2-1 score was short-lived however as senior Tre Ming (Devonshire, Bermuda/South Kent) answered for the Terriers less than a minute later on the second of Clemons' four assists in the game to regain a two-goal advantage.

With a 3-1 lead in hand, Thomas tacked on three more goals late in the second half. Freshman Adam LaBrie (Yarmouth, Maine) scored a pair of goals in the 82nd and 90th minute, while Emard added his second goal of the game in 86th minute. Clemons assisted on the final two goals to finish with six points in the game.

Thomas junior goalkeeper Joakim Sternas (Stockholm, Sweden/Bromma Gymnasium) earned the win making eight saves. Southern Maine freshman Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) turned back 12 Terrier shots in the loss.

Southern Maine remains on the road and will compete at the Husson University Eagles Challenge Friday and Saturday. The Huskies will face the host Eagles on Friday (7:30 p.m.). Thomas travels to St. Joseph's College on Thursday, September 17 (4:00 p.m.).

–cac–

USM release: http://www.southernmainehuskies.com/spo ... 0909wsq8sa
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:20 am

Libbey Lifts Husson Past Southern Maine 3-1

BANGOR, Maine – Senior Cam Libbey (Hampden, Maine/Hampden Academy) scored a goal in each half to lead the Husson University Eagles to a 3-1 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in the second game of the 2015 Husson University Eagles Adidas Challenge Friday night at Boucher Field.

Playing in its first home contest of the season, Husson picked up its second win of the 2015 season to stand at 2-2. Southern Maine drops its third straight game to fall to 1-3-1.

Husson took a 2-0 lead over the Huskies at the half. Senior Mike Curtis (Ellsworth, Maine) put his team ahead 1-0 early in the contest notching an unassisted goal in the 16th minute. Libbey doubled the Eagles advantage minutes later finishing an assist from senior Stephen Berenyi (Levant, Maine/Calvary Chapel Christian School) in the 19th minute for the first of his two goals in the game.

Southern Maine trimmed the Eagle advantage to a goal in the second half. Sophomore MK Mohamed (Lewiston, Maine) scored his first goal of the season in the 64th minute to make it a 2-1 game. Mohamed's first goal in a Husky uniform was a gem hitting the upper 90 of the frame from 25-yards. The Huskies' continued to battle for the equalizer, but Libbey seal the win for the Eagles scoring his second goal of the game in the 77th minute to make it 3-1. Libbey's goal came off of an assist from sophomore Jimmy Fitzpatrick (Houlton, Maine).

Southern Maine freshman goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) made six saves in the loss. Husson sophomore Cody Gross (Fair Lawn, N.J.) did not make a save. Husson finished the game with a 21-10 advantage in shots and a 9-1 advantage in shots on goal. The Huskies led the Eagles in corner kicks 7-2.

Southern Maine continues on at the Husson University Eagles Challenge on Saturday. The Huskies will face the Castleton State (5:00 p.m.). Husson will face Maine Maritime on Saturday (7:30 p.m.).

–cac–
USM release: http://www.southernmainehuskies.com/spo ... 0911wtbhth
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Castleton State Defeats Southern Maine 2-0

BANGOR, Maine – Junior Solo Felekeni (Burlington, Vt.) and junior Steven Koenemann (Montpelier,Vt.) each scored goals to lead the Castleton State College Spartans to a 2-0 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a non-conference men's soccer game Saturday evening in the third game of the 2015 Husson University Eagles Adidas Challenge Friday night at Boucher Field.

With the win, Castleton State improves to 3-2 overall. Suffering its fourth consecutive set-back, Southern Maine drops to 1-4-1 on the season.

The Spartans broke open a scoreless affair in the 20th minute when Felekeni collected an assist from senior Jake Tietgens (Stamford, Vt./Drury) and struck a well-placed ball into the left side of the net from seven yards out. Despite both teams being even on shots (9-9), the Spartans remained in control leading 1-0 at the half. Castleton State doubled its score 15 minutes into the second half when Koenemann blasted in an unassisted goal from 25 yards out.

Castleton State goalkeeper senior Amir Pasic (Burlington, Vt.) made four saves en route to the shut out victory. Southern Maine freshman goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, Maine/Mount Desert Island) made five saves in the loss.

Southern Maine hosts Keene State on Saturday (12:00 p.m.) in its Little East conference opener. Castleton State travels to Southern Vermont on Wednesday (4:00 p.m.)

–cac–

http://www.southernmainehuskies.com/spo ... 0912ucggd5
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)