Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Soccer - men 2015: UMaine-Presque Isle

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:17 am

TV
UM Presque Isle men's soccer team prepares for season
The University of Maine Presque Isle men's soccer team opens the season next Tuesday. The Owls are ready to go...

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/UM ... 60251.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 am

2015 Men's Soccer Roster

No. Name Pos. Cl. Hometown
1 Caleb Bragg-Grady Keeper Junior Whitefield, ME
2 Zach Veayo Midfield Junior Farmington, ME
3 Jacob Lassonde Back Junior Merrill, ME
4 Matt Orcutt Forward Freshman Newport, ME
5 Derek Healy Forward Junior Hanover, MA
7 Sean Barbosa Back / Midfield Junior Caribou, ME
8 Reed Derosier Midfield Freshman Endfield, ME
9 Johnny Theriault Forward Freshman Fort Fairfield, ME
10 Cody Blair Forward Freshman Ashland, ME
11 Brandon Danforth Forward Freshman East Millinocket, ME
15 Mohamud Abukar Forward Freshman Lewiston, ME
16 Dean Costello Back Junior Glenwood Landing
17 Kristopher Cyr Back Freshman St. Agatha, ME
18 Joshua Cross Midfield Senior Bremen, ME
19 Brandon Bonney Back Junior South Bristol, ME
20 Chris Daly Midfield Sophomore Kingsfield, ME
21 Colby Holdsworth Forward / Back Freshman Caribou, ME
22 Dan Swallow Back Junior Houlton
23 Brandon Fuller Midfield Sophomore St. Albans, ME
24 Solomon Fast Back Sophomore Phillips, ME
25 Kyle Gilman Forward Freshman Danforth, ME
42 Matthew Manter Keeper Sophomore Woodland, ME
6 / 0 AJ Dolley Back / Keeper Junior Whiting, M
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 am

Owls Drop Season Opener to Unity College

UNITY, ME – Unity College jumped out to an early lead on the UMPI Men's Soccer Team, and the Owls were never able to recover from the slow start, dropping their first decision of the year by a score of 3-1.

Ben Denoncour (SO, Forward, Georgetown, MA) scored the first goal in the fifth minute, assisted by Francesco Guerrero (FR, Forward, Monfalcone, Italy). Just a few minutes passed before Denoncour would strike again, this time finding the back of the net unassisted, putting the Owls down two.

Although the Owls would regroup and keep the Unity squad off the board for the rest of the first half, the Rams physical and athletic play proved to be too much for the young Owls to mount a comeback. Denoncour would get in on the scoring again, this time assisting teammate Anthony Holzhauser (FR, Midfielder, Hudson, NH) in the 51st minute. The Owls would finally get on the board late, as junior Derek Healy (Forward, Hanover, MA) scored with freshman Mohamud Abukar(Forward, Lewiston, ME) being credited with the assist. Time would cut any comeback efforts short as the Owls dropped their opener 3-1.

UMPI returns to action on Friday, September 4th as the host St. Thomas (NB) at 3 PM. Action continues into the weekend as they host Maine Maritime Academy on Sunday with a 2 PM scheduled start.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 am

Owls Shutout, Drop Second Straight

PRESQUE ISLE – The Owls saw some golden opportunities go to the wayside and weren't able to find the back of the net, as they dropped a hard fought battle 1-0 against St. Thomas University of New Brunswick.

The best opportunities for the Owls came early, as they had some great opportunities to score. Cody Blair (FR, Forward, Ashland, ME) had a shot just sneak by the right side of the pole, as did Derek Healy (JR, Forward, Hanover, MA). The Tommies also had their chances, but the Owls managed to keep them off the board early. The lone goal of the game would come in the 20th minute of the game, and would be set up by an unfortunate miscommunication by two members of the Presque Isle squad. What seemed to be a ball that should be controlled by the home team, resulted in Robert Leblanc gathering in a loose ball and taking advantage of Owl's keeper Caleb Bragg-Grady who was put in an almost impossible position. Leblanc knocked the goal home, giving the Tommies a 1-0 lead.

Despite outshouting the visitors 11-9 in the first half, the Owls weren't able to even up the score. The second half saw St. Thomas take the offensive advantage, putting the pressure on the Owls. Though the defense held, Presque Isle wasn't able to convert a goal of their own, and despite an evenly matched game, the Owls would take their second loss of the young season.

"I am pleased with the effort in this game," said Head Coach Alan Gordon of his team. "We played 90 minutes with great effort, the kind of effort that is needed at this level. We are still working on the younger players connecting with the veterans, but it was a great effort. We saw some golden opportunities and weren't able to convert, but those are chances that those guys will knock home in the future."

The Owls return to action on Sunday, as they host Maine Maritime Academy. Game time is scheduled for 2 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 am

Mariners Too Much for the Owls

PRESQUE ISLE – Maine Maritime Academy outshot the Owls 38 to 7, and left with a 4-0 victory.

The Owls best opportunities came early, with five of their seven attempts coming between the sixth and fifteenth minutes. After a couple of saves by Mariner keeper Josh Reeks (FR, Bedford, NH) and a couple of near misses wide and over top of the goal, the Maine Maritime Academy offense took over, bombarding the Owls goal with shot after shot. Kyle Haslam (SR, Lamoine, ME) finally broke the tie by putting one in the back of the net. The second goal came with some controversy, as it looked as though Owls keeper Caleb Bragg-Grady (JR, Whitefield, ME) had his hands on the ball and was bumped in midair, causing him to lose control and resulting in a goal. The Owls went into the half down by a score of 2-0.

The second half turned into much of the same, as the Mariners continued their bombardment on the goal. While Bragg-Grady was credited with 15 saves for the day, Maine Maritime was able to net two more goals in the second half and put the game out of reach. The Owls have now been shut out in two consecutive games. Their last goal came at the end of the Unity College game, which makes 187 minutes of scoreless play for the Owls and have dropped to 0-3 on the season.

"I told the guys I am proud of their effort," said Head Coach Alan Gordon, "but we're at the point where we need more then effort. The college game requires skill, and we haven't been able to put that together yet. We are still working on the young guys connecting with the veterans on the team. The talent is there, it just hasn't connected yet."

The Owls return to action on Wednesday as they host Maine-Farmington at 4 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 am

Owls Fall to Farmington

PRESQUE ISLE – For the third game in a row, the Owls can't connect on a goal and the Farmington Beavers go away with a 4-0 win.

Yusuf Yama (SR, Goma, Congo) found the net twice and the Beavers took control of the game throughout. The Owls were outshot twenty to six on the day as the young owls are still trying to find a way to connect with the veterans on the team. It looked as though the Owls were going to have their chances early as Mohamud Abukar (FR, Lewiston, ME) and Derek Healy (JR, Hanover, MA) were able to form an attack, but the Owls couldn't get a shot on goal in the game. Caleb Bragg-Grady came up with 11 saves, but was under constant attack as the Beavers put 15 shots on goal.

The Owls will return to action in a rematch against Unity College in Presque Isle. The game is scheduled for a 2 pm start.

UMPI release : http://owls.umpi.edu/sports/msoc/2015-1 ... 0909u60kp9
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:52 am

UMPI Wins First of the Season

PRESQUE ISLE – The Owls played host to the Unity Rams and were able to put up five goals on their way to a 5-1 victory.

The Owls put the pressure on early and often. Just a minute and thirty seconds into the game, Cody Blair (FR, Ashland, ME) had a great look at a goal. His attempt was deflected by the keeper, but managed to trickle towards the net and deflect off of a Ram defender. The Owls got on the board first with an own goal. The Owls continued to pressure the Rams and in the 18th minute, Blair was a part of another goal. This time he was credited with the assist to fellow freshman Mohamud Abukar (Lewiston, ME), who put the Owls up two. The Rams would finally answer, as Francesco Gurrero (FR, Monfalcone, Italy) scored an unassisted goal to cut the lead to 2-1. It took just a couple short minutes for the Owls to answer back, this time it was Chris Daly (SO, Kingfield, ME) that put the ball in the net, with Blair getting yet another assist, and UMPI went into halftime up 3-1. In the second half the Owls turned to Derek Healy (JR, Hanover, MA) to put the game out of reach. In the 50th minute Healy found a way to get another ball past the Ram's keeper. Abukar got credit for the assist. Brandon Danforth (FR, East Millinocket, ME) collected his first assist in his college career, setting Healy up for his second goal of the game (pictured). The Owls would hold on to win by a score of 5-1. The win was the first on the season for the Owls.

"This is by far the best we have played as a team," said Head Coach Alan Gordon. "I think the early goal really helped us settle down and just play. The younger guys on this team needed something like that to happen for them. The passing was good, the communication was good, it was an all-around team effort. We have been looking for a lot of young faces to step up and contribute, and they did that today. Cody [Blair] and Mohamud [Abukar] really stepped up today. [Sean] Barbosa was a big part of the day as well, stepping in as a back and really solidifying our defense. It was a great team effort."

The Owls will go on the road on Tuesday and take on Maine Machias. That game is scheduled to start at 5 PM.

http://owls.umpi.edu/sports/msoc/2015-1 ... 0913q1vymq
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:03 am

UMPI Athletics Hall of Fame: 2015 Inductee Steve Babineau

Steve Babineau played during a successful era of the Owl's Men's Soccer team. It is safe to say that UMPI would not have had that success without the efforts of Steve. During his time the Owls won 37 games, including a 12-3-1 record in 1996, a season in which the team qualified for the NAIA Northeast Regional Playoffs.

Steve finished his playing career 11th on the all-time scoring list, despite playing defense his freshman year. He scored 29 goals and had 7 assists in his career. Three times he was named First Team All-Maine Athletic Conference, he was a one-time NAIA All-New England Region First Team honoree, named to the All-Northeast Region Team, the MAC Player of the Week, and the Bangor Daily News Men's Senior All-Star NAIA Team in 1997. His career at UMPI earned him a professional tryout with the Connecticut Wolves in the A-League.

When asked to describe Steve as a teammate, there are many adjectives and stories about him. Behind Steve the team became a "band of brothers" and in the opinion of one teammate, achieved more then they should've because of it. The sentiment is that Steve was too good of a player, and could've played at a higher level. It may have been for the best, however, as Steve was faced with many challenges that he wouldn't have been presented with elsewhere, and he rose above and overcame them. Owls Head Coach Alan Gordon recalls his former player, "Steve was one of the fiercest competitors I have ever had the privilege to coach. His passion for the game inspired his fellow teammates, as well as the other athletes on the UMPI campus. He was highly respected by opposing coaches and players throughout Maine and New England and will always be considered one of the top soccer players to wear the Owl uniform." Steve is described as having an extremely strong work ethic, which he used to not only drive himself, but also to push his teammates to push harder and achieve more. The end result was a hard working Owls team that was able to achieve great things, led by Steve Babineau.

Steve turned his experiences at UMPI into a successful coaching career. After assistant coaching stints at the University of New England and the University of Southern Maine, he was hired as the Head Men's Soccer Coach at St. Joseph's College (ME). During his tenure there he amassed a 52-40-6 record, the most wins in SJC history. He led the Monks to five Great Northeast Athletic Conference Tournament appearances, and two GNAC championships. He led the Monks to the first two NCAA Tournament appearances in school history in 2009 and 2011. Not surprisingly, Steve's teams exemplified his attributes as a player, hard-working, team players that achieved great things. Steve retired from coaching after the 2014 season. Former teammate Shaun Breton summed up his retirement with the following statement, "the state of soccer is at a loss now that Steve is not coaching."

The University of Maine at Presque Isle Athletics Department is proud to honor Mr. Babineau. The Athletics Hall of Fame Reception and Dinner will be held in the Campus Center on Saturday, September 19th at 5 PM. Tickets are $20, to RSVP please call the athletics department, 768-9506.

UMPI release: http://owls.umpi.edu/sports/msoc/2015-1 ... 0916i0lzd7
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 am

Falcons Steal Victory in OT

PRESQUE ISLE – In what turned out to be a tail of two halves, the Fisher Falcons escaped Presque Isle with a 4-3 overtime victory on Homecoming Weekend.

The Owls took advantage of the wind at their backs in the first half. Cody Blair (FR, Ashland, ME) would get the UMPI crowd energized with a goal in the ninth minute. Sean Barbosa (JR, Caribou, ME) would clean up a corner kick to tally his first goal of the season in the 16th minute. Derek Healy (JR, Hanover, MA) was credited with assists on the first two goals. In the 32nd minute Blair would put his second of the day into the net (pictured), assisted by Jacob Lassonde (JR, Merrill, ME), to send the Owls to the half up 3-0.

The second half gave the Falcons a chance to play with an advantage, and they would use it quickly. Just three minutes into the half Tyler Gahara (SO, Hooksett, NH) would put Fisher on the board. In the 53rd minute the Falcons would add pressure, and Tom Pugliese (JR, Saugus, CA) would score a goal to make the game tighter. It looked as though the Owls had a chance to hold off the Falcons, fending off the Fisher advances. However, in the 81st minute, Gahara would strike again, tying the game and sending it into overtime. Five minutes into the extra frame, Gahara would knock in his third goal of the game, off of an assist from Pugliese, giving the Falcons the road win.

The Owls stay home to host Maine Machias on September 23rd. Game time is scheduled for 4 PM.

UMPI release: http://owls.umpi.edu/sports/msoc/2015-1 ... 0919p7ju8v
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)