Bates College women 2015-2016:

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Bates College women 2015-2016:

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:24 am

Bates release:
Alison Montgomery named head coach of women's basketball

LEWISTON, Maine -- Bates College has appointed Alison Montgomery, assistant coach at the U.S. Naval Academy and former assistant at Bowdoin College, to become the 12th head coach in the history of its varsity women's basketball program, Director of Athletics Kevin McHugh announced on Wednesday, June 3.

A Maine native and graduate of Bangor High School and Bowdoin College, she will begin the position on July 1.

"I couldn't be more pleased and excited about Alison taking over the reins of the Bates women's basketball program," said McHugh. "We had an extremely competitive pool of candidates for the position, but Alison was the consensus choice of all involved in the search process."

Montgomery, formerly Alison Smith, graduated from Bowdoin in 2005 and has spent the past seven years as an assistant coach, the first three at Bowdoin under head coach Adrienne Shibles and the past four at the Naval Academy under Stefanie Pemper. This is her first head coaching position.

"If anyone asked me what job I was pursuing, this is definitely it," said Montgomery. "A NESCAC job in Maine has been kind of my ultimate goal. This process and the job offer has been surreal. I'm thrilled to be at a place like Bates."

After receiving her master's degree in social work from Boston College in 2007, Montgomery began her coaching career as an assistant for Shibles, a 1991 Bates graduate, at Bowdoin. There she helped lead the Polar Bears to a 70-18 record over three years, including NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen appearances in both 2010 and 2011.

Montgomery then joined Pemper, her former head coach at Bowdoin, as an assistant with the Division I Mids, beginning with the 2011–12 campaign. In her four seasons at Annapolis, Montgomery helped the Mids to a cumulative 80-48 record, a Patriot League regular-season mark of 44-20, an 8-2 record in league tournament play and two NCAA Tournament appearances.

This past year was Montgomery's first as Navy's recruiting coordinator. She was also responsible for scouting, game planning and team preparation for eight of Navy's opponents, including film breakdown and analysis, practice planning, game strategizing and generating scouting reports.

Montgomery earned her bachelor's degree in psychology from Bowdoin in 2005, following a successful playing career. Montgomery was a four-year starter for the Polar Bears, helping them win the NESCAC Championship all four years and compile a 108-9 record, with four NCAA Tournament appearances, including a national runner-up finish in 2004. She was the team's captain as a senior, and a two-time NESCAC All-Academic selection.

The Bangor native is one of three players in Bangor High School girls' basketball history to score 1,000 career points.

"I'm really passionate about the state of Maine and all it has to offer," Montgomery said from a family vacation in Stockton Springs, Maine. "I'm hoping that can be an asset in my recruiting, both in state and out, in terms of how strongly I feel about the area."

Montgomery will be the team's first new head coach since 1994, when Jim Murphy took over the program. Murphy retired in April after 21 seasons as one of the most successful coaches in Bates College's history.

"Back in my playing days, Bates was my biggest rival," Montgomery said. "Adrienne Shibles is a close friend and obviously a Bates alum, and we've shared some jokes about that. If anything, I think that makes it more special.

"I was taking a walk this morning with my son and mom, and we were all wearing Bowdoin sweatshirts. I said, 'This has got to change,'" Montgomery laughed. "I'm kind of excited about developing my own niche. I'll have no problems switching allegiances."
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Bates College women 2015-2016:

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 am

Montgomery era begins at Bates

LEWISTON — The timing was right, and so was the opportunity.

When Alison Montgomery saw the women’s basketball job at Bates College was open, it felt like a logical next step. She was interested in a head coaching job, and had a desire to return to Maine.

“I knew I wanted to be at the Division III level,” Montgomery said. “I was really ready and excited to be a head coach. There’s obvious draws to this job. The NESCAC is a great conference. I have a lot of loyalties to it because I played in it and I coached in it. I’m familiar with it, and I also believe in the model.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... es/1818811
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:57 am

Women's basketball drops season opener to Maine-Farmington

FARMINGTON, Maine -- Nina Davenport scored a team-high 15 points and Madeline Foote added 12 of her own but the Bobcats couldn't hold on to a halftime lead in a 61-53 loss to Maine-Farmington Friday night.

Davenport '18, picked up right where she left off last season with an outstanding effort from the field. The Freeport native and reigning Maine rookie of the year shot three of seven from deep and added three rebounds while making both her shots at the charity stripe.

Foote '19, impressed in her collegiate debut. The Duxbury, Mass. native poured in 12 points on four of eight shooting off the bench. Three of her four field goals were three-pointers as she also knocked down three of seven from deep.

Bates (0-1) took an early 14-12 lead after the first quarter of action. They started the game on a 10-2 run, culminating in a Jackie Welch three-pointer with 5:13 to go in the quarter. Welch '18 did most of her work distributing the rock as she finished tied with Bernadette Connors for the
team-lead in assists with four.

The Bobcats went up by a score of 12-4 but UMF (1-2) went on an 8-0 run to tie the game.
A Linda Herlihy jumper at the buzzer gave Bates a 14-12 edge.

The second quarter was a defensive struggle but the Bobcats out-scored UMF 9-5 to take a 23-17 lead into halftime.

Unfortunately for Bates, UMF scored 23 points in the third quarter alone. The pivotal third quarter saw UMF shoot 60% from the field to Bates' 30.8%.

Trailing by three entering the fourth, Bates needed to finish the game strong but UMF held them off. The hosts continued their offensive turnaround after a sluggish first half, tallying 21 points in the fourth to Bates' 16. UMF shot 5-7 from the field and made 10 free throws in 15 attempts down the stretch to secure the win.

Meghan Smith scored 11 of her game-high 19 points in the fourth for UMF.

Overall, UMF was able to get to the free throw line 26 times, knocking down 18 from the charity stripe, while Bates only got to the line six times, hitting four of their free throws.

The Bobcats look to bounce back Saturday as they travel to the University of New England for a 1:00 tip.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1120y2ph7a
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:07 am

Women's basketball falls to #17 New England

BIDDEFORD, Maine -- Nina Davenport scored a team-high 14 points and Bernadette Connors added 10 of her own but #17 University of New England was too explosive for the Bobcats in a 101-46 loss Saturday afternoon.

Turnovers were a big factor in the defeat as the Bobcats (0-2) turned the ball over 26 times while New England turned it over only nine times. New England (2-0) out-rebounded Bates 41-28 while shooting over 53% from the field compared to Bates' 33.3%.

New England jumped out to a 9-0 lead before Chelsea Nason got Bates on the board with 6:16 to go in the first quarter.

New England went on to out-score Bates 25-5 in the first quarter and never looked back.

Davenport '18 also contributed five rebounds to go with her 14 points and Lyse Henshaw provided a spark off the bench with three three-pointers. Allie Coppola crashed the boards for Bates and finished with a game-high seven rebounds.

Alanna Vose led all scorers with 20 points for New England.

The women's team travels to the University of Southern Maine on Tuesday for a 5:30 p.m. tip.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1121z552y9
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:57 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 am

Fast start not enough as women's basketball falls short against Southern Maine

GORHAM, Maine -- Nina Davenport led the Bates women's basketball team in scoring for the third straight game as she tallied a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds but the Bobcats lost their third straight contest as they fell 65-56 to the University of Southern Maine Tuesday night.

The Huskies (2-2) and Bobcats (0-3) were pretty evenly matched throughout the evening. But turnovers ended up being the difference in the game. Bates turned the ball over 22 times and the Huskies scored 17 points off turnovers. Meanwhile USM only turned it over 10 times and the Bobcats only tallied five points off turnovers.

Davenport '18 (Freeport, Maine) hit three of her 10 shots from three-point range and pulled down eight of her game-high 10 boards on the defensive glass.

The Bobcats also got significant contributions on offense from Chelsea Nason '16 (Boxford, Mass.), who scored 12 points on 5-12 shooting and Allie Coppola '17 (Tarrytown, N.Y.) who also put up 12 points while pulling down five rebounds. Bernadette Connors '17 (Windham, N.H.) added eight points and a team-high five assists.

Bates got off to a hot start in the game as they went on a 9-0 run at the beginning of the first quarter behind three straight three-pointers. Davenport knocked one down from deep, followed by a Nason three and another Davenport triple.

A Davenport three later in the quarter put Bates up 14-5. But a 6-0 run from the Huskies cut the lead to three.

With 1:20 to go in the first quarter, the Huskies took their first lead of the game on a Kayla Stacy three. Neither team scored again in the quarter so USM led 18-17 at the end of one.
The second quarter turned the game into a defense struggle. Connors nailed a three to start the quarter, giving the Bobcats the two-point lead. The teams went back-and-forth after that. A Nason three gave Bates a 26-24 lead but the Huskies finished the half on a 4-0 run to take a 28-26 edge into intermission.

A Starcy three got the scoring started for the Huskies in the third quarter and they didn't look back, out-scoring the Bobcats by five points in the third quarter and two in the fourth quarter as the Bobcats couldn't get any closer than to within three points down the stretch.

Ellie Ramonas led all scorers with 16 points while Megan Pelletier added 11 of her own for the Huskies.

Bates will look to pick up their first win of the season on Sunday as they welcome rival Colby to town for the Bobcats' home opener. Tip at Alumni Gym is set for 2:00.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1124tztqci
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 am

Colby edges women's basketball 62-57 in home opener

LEWISTON, Maine -- Desiree Smith scored 26 points on 10-of-13 shooting from the field to lead Colby College to a 62-57 non-conference victory over the Bates College women's basketball team on Sunday afternoon, in the Bobcats' home opener in Alumni Gymnasium.

The Mules rose to 4-0 with the win and dropped Bates to 0-4. The NESCAC rivals will meet again on Jan. 8 in Waterville for their league matchup.

Colby led by three points (43-40) after three quarters and tried to pull away, going up 51-42 with a layup by Smith, two more by Carylanne Wolfington and another by Mia Diplock. Bates came back within four (51-47) with a layup by junior Allie Coppola (Tarrytown, N.Y.) and a three-point play by junior Bernadette Connors (Windham, N.H.).

Wolfington assisted Haley Driscoll for a hoop down low to give Colby a 59-50 edge with 2:06 left in the game, but Bates came back again, as Coppola knocked down a jumper and sophomore Nina Davenport (Freeport, Maine) knocked down two free throws to cut it to 59-54 with 1:13 to go. Davenport answered a pair of free throws by Diplock by draining a three on a Connors assist with 45 seconds left, and then she stole the ball from Wolfington with 39 seconds to go, but the Bobcats turned the ball over and had to foul Smith, who made one of two foul shots to make it 62-57 with 19 seconds to go.

Colby mounted an 18-11 lead after one quarter, but Bates came back in the second quarter to tie the game at the half. The Bobcats turned the ball over 11 times in the half but outrebounded the Mules 19-13 and made four 3-pointers to Colby's two.

Wolfington had 13 points, six rebounds and three assists for the Mules, while Diplock added 11 points, three assists and four steals. Driscoll scored eight points and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.

Coppola led Bates with 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting from the field and 10 rebounds, her first double-double of the season. Connors played the full 40 minutes and scored 14 points with five rebounds and three assists, and Davenport posted 13 points and seven rebounds.

Colby will next play at the University of Maine in Orono on Tuesday at 7pm; Bates next travels to Williams College for the two-day Williams Classic, where the Bobcats will face Clarkson University on Dec. 4 at 8pm.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1129ob7n7p
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:18 am

Henshaw scores a career-high 26 points as women's basketball earns first win of 2015-2016

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- Lyse Henshaw scored a career-high 26 points, Allie Coppola recorded another double-double and the Bates women's basketball team defeated Pine Manor by a final score of 76-64 in the Williams Classic Saturday afternoon.

Henshaw '18 (Brunswick, Maine) torched Pine Manor from outside, hitting 6-11 three-pointers and 10-18 shots overall. She added eight rebounds and two assists in a dominating performance for the Bobcats. Her 26 points are more points than she'd scored in Bates' first five games combined.

Coppola '17 (Tarrytown, N.Y.) continued her outstanding weekend on the court for the Bobcats. One night after scoring 13 points and pulling down 13 boards, Coppola recorded another double-double as she poured in 11 points and hauled in a season-high 16 rebounds. It's her third consecutive double-double for the Bobcats overall.

Other standouts on Saturday for the Bobcats included Nina Davenport '18 (Freeport, Maine) and Madeline Foote '19 (Duxbury, Mass.). Davenport scored 14 points and finished with seven rebounds while Foote contributed 10 points, four rebounds and two assists off the bench.

Bates (1-5) held Pine Manor (1-7) to 27% from the field while the Bobcats shot 37.2% on the night.

The Bobcats never trailed in the game as they jumped out to a 4-0 lead on layups from Henshaw and Coppola. Bates led 10-3 before Pine Manor went on a 4-0 run to end the quarter, cutting the Bobcats' edge to 10-7.

The second quarter turned out to be the difference in the contest as the Bobcats out-scored Pine Manor 25-12. Up 15-12, Bates went on a 10-0 run to extend their lead to 13. Foote scored all 10 of her points in the second quarter. Henshaw added eight points and Davenport contributed seven as the trio led the Bobcats to a commanding 35-19 halftime lead.

Pine Manor actually out-scored Bates by four points in the third quarter and played the Bobcats to a 20-20 tie in the fourth quarter. But the halftime lead held up as Bates earned their first win of the Alison Montgomery era. It's Montgomery's first career win as a head coach.

The Bobcats are back in action at Alumni Gym on Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. as they take on Maine-Augusta.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1205oesudm
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 am

Foote, Coppola propel women's basketball past UMaine-Augusta

LEWISTON, Maine -- First-year guard Madeline Foote scored 11 points in a four-minute span of the third quarter as the Bates women's basketball team pulled away from UMaine-Augusta for a 67-49 non-conference victory Tuesday night in Alumni Gymnasium.

Foote (Duxbury, Mass.) scored all of her game- and career-high 21 points in the second half, making 9-of-15 shots from the field and 3-of-6 from behind the three-point line.

Bates junior forward Allie Coppola (Tarrytown, N.Y.) recorded her fourth straight double-double, with 12 points and 10 rebounds to go with a team-high four assists. Sophomore forward Nina Davenport (Freeport, Maine) added 14 points and three steals.

First-year forward Caitlin LaFountain led the Moose (11-5) with 16 rebounds to go with 11 points, while junior forward Jamie Plummer (Richmond, Maine) scored 20 points to go with five boards and a team-high four assists. Morgan Card added 10 points and six boards.

Bates led 29-22 at halftime, helped in part by UMA's struggles from the free-throw line, where they were 1-for-6. The Moose finished 3-for-13 at the line (.231).

Darby Toth led off the third quarter with a layup to close the gap to 29-24. But Bates junior guard Bernadette Connors (Windham, N.H.) answered with back-to-back layups on aggressive drives to the basket. Davenport added four unanswered points, and sophomore Emily Freedland (Marblehead, Mass.) made it a 10-0 run with a jumper with 4:41 left in the period.

Foote got into the action, scoring her first bucket of the game with 4:21 left in the third quarter, a layup assisted by Coppola. Foote added two more layups before draining a 3-pointer with 1:46 left for a 48-31 lead. Foote then dished to sophomore Jackie Welch (Falmouth, Maine) for another three, the first of Foote's three assists in the game, and another layup in the final minute of the quarter gave her 11 points in the period and and a 53-31 lead for Bates.

Bates will host St. Joseph's College of Maine on Thursday at 5:30pm. UMA next plays Jan. 9 against Berkeley (N.Y.) in Concord, N.H.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1208u06wef
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:56 am

Cahill paces St. Joseph's past women's basketball team

LEWISTON, Maine -- Morgan Cahill led the way with 27 points, 16 rebounds, three assists and three blocked shots as St. Joseph's College of Maine defeated the Bates women's basketball team 61-54 in a non-conference game Thursday night at Alumni Gymnasium.

Cahill made 13-of-16 shots from the field and grabbed 15 of her rebounds off the defensive glass, leading St. Joe's (7-2) to a 41-38 rebounding advantage. The senior center totaled nine points and eight rebounds as St. Joe's outscored Bates 19-12 in the third quarter, the only period in the game with more than a one-point difference between the teams.

The Monks shot 53.3 percent from the field in the second half and 45.9% for the game, despite missing all 12 of their three-point attempts.

Junior Allie Coppola (Tarrytown, N.Y.) had a team-high 13 points with nine rebounds for Bates, while sophomore Nina Davenport (Freeport, Maine) contributed her first double-double of the season with 11 points and 11 rebounds (all on the defensive glass).

The Monks got out to a 14-6 lead with 2:34 left in the first quarter, with Cahill scoring six points and Kelsi McNamara netting four, but Bates finished the period with a 7-0 run, sparked by a Davenport three. Bates took its first lead on a jumper by junior Bernadette Connors (Windham, N.H.) that made it 18-16 with 5:38 to go in the half, and another Davenport three made it 21-16. The Monks tied it up at 25-25 by intermission, with Cahill contributing 10 points and seven rebounds to the Monks' cause and Davenport totaling six points and seven boards.

With 7:00 to go in the third quarter, Cahill sank a jumper. The Monks made two defensive stops before Cahill converted a three-point play for a 34-28 advantage. Cahill scored two more buckets in the period to offset seven free throws made in a row by Bates, for a 44-37 lead after three periods.

Brianne Maloney's three-point play opened the scoring in the final period and gave the Monks a 10-point advantage, and the sophomore forward later assisted a layup by Emily Kehoe that gave St. Joe's a 59-46 lead with 4:17 left. A 3-pointer by Bates senior Chelsea Nason (Boxford, Mass.) cut the lead down to single digits again, and a layup by Coppola in the closing seconds made it a 61-54 final.

Bates was held to 30.4% shooting from the field for the game, including 18.2% (4-22) from beyond the arc.

Bates is out of action until Jan. 2, when the Bobcats host Bowdoin in a non-conference game. St. Joe's will play at Fisher College on Saturday at noon.

http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/wbkb/ ... 1210w75myl
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)