SMCC basketball - women

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: SMCC basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 am

Lady Seawolves Cruise Past Moose

South Portland - In tonight's YSCC women's basketball action the Lady Seawolves of SMCC were out to avenge a 64-61 loss that was handed to them earlier in the season by the Moose of UMaine - Augusta. The Seawolves used unselfish play, dishing out 27 assists on 38 made field goals, and full court man to man pressure to force the Moose into 28 turnovers and come away with an 86-58 victory.

The Moose jumped out to an early 5-0 lead off a Jamie Plummer (Richmond, ME) layup and a Monique Moore (Jefferson, ME) make from beyond the arc. The Seawolves responded with ten unanswered points to take the 10-5 lead with 14:37 remaining. After giving up two baskets to the Moose, Seawolves forward Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) connected on a free throw that would spark another SMCC run, this time netting 14 before the Moose would score again. The Seawolves closed out the half with a 12-2 run that was topped off by a Tiana Burton (Brunswick, ME) three pointer with just seconds remaining in the first half to give SMCC a 42-22 advantage going into the break.

The Seawolves opened the second half with a 27-9 run, thanks in part to four consecutive layups by Hoyt and teammate Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA), to take their largest lead of the game, 69-31, with 10:46 left to play. In the closing ten minutes Plummer connected on 12 of her 22 points and shooting guard Kylie Kemp (Monmouth, ME) netted 13 of her 15 total points to chip away at the Seawolves lead, ending the game at 86-58.

The Seawolves put all eleven players in the scorebook in tonight's contest, led by Burton who scored a team high 16 points to go with four rebounds, four assists and four steals. Katherine Cyr (Springfield, MA) put up 12 points, three assists and two steals while Hoyt and shooting guard Samantha Griffin (Union, ME) each chipped in with nine points. Jordan Turner (Casco, ME) led the Seawolves in assists, dishing out six, to go with six points and three rebounds.

With this win the Seawolves improve to 10-7 on the season, 7-3 in YSCC play. They have a busy weekend in store this weekend as they go up against Eastern Maine CC on Saturday and Community College of Rhode Island on Sunday. Both games are at home and will be held at noon.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 am

Seawolves Soar Past Golden Eagles

South Portland - In this afternoon's YSCC basketball action the Lady Seawolves of SMCC outrebounded the Golden Eagles of EMCC, 71-47, and forced the Eagles to commit 29 turnovers as SMCC rolled to a 94-44 victory.

Shooting guard Abigail Nielsen (North Yarmouth, ME) kickstarted the Seawolves offense with back to back layups to open the game, putting the Seawolves on top 4-0. Both teams struggled to find their rhythmn on offense as the Seawolves were leading just 8-7 after six minutes of play but a Maria Veino (Sanford, ME) layup off a Kendra Kagiliery (Kittery, ME) pass provided a spark that the Seawolves needed. From that point the Lady Seawolves proceeded to outscore the Eagles 33-5 to close out the first half.

In second half action both teams had a better offensive performance as the Seawolves outscored the Eagles 54-32. Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) had a perfect shooting performance for the Seawolves in the second half, going 3-3 from the field and 4-4 from the free throw line, to tally 10 of her game high 19 points. Hoyt also had 11 rebounds and five blocked shots. SMCC's starting point guard, Jordan Turner (Casco, ME), did a little bit of everything to help her team, scoring 11 points, grabbing eight rebounds, dishing out six assists and getting five steals. Nielsen neared a double double with 12 points and eight rebounds and Kagiliery also chipped in 12 points while shooting 50% from the field. Veino was the teams' second leading rebounder with nine and scored six points.

The Golden Eagles were led by Jordan Maxwell (Lee, ME) who scored 15 points while shooting 7-8 from the charity stripe.

The Seawolves (11-7, 8-3 YSCC) will be back on the court tomorrow as they take on the Community College of Rhode Island at home at 12pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 am

SMCC 81, CMCC 67:

Tiana Burton’s 21 points off the bench led the SeaWolves (17-7, 11-3 YSCC) over the Mustangs (17-5, 11-2) in South Portland. Burton powered the SeaWolves to a 42-28 halftime lead with 14 points during a 28-11 first-half run.

WMTW highlights
about 4:00 mark ...http://www.wmtw.com/sports/hoops8/hoops ... s/31227564
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 am

Skowhegan grad Poland finds fit at SMCC
The Seawolves are preparing for the USCAA national basketball championship in Pennsylvania this week.

Jaimi Poland’s list of colleges is a string of capital letters comparable to an angry person typing on Twitter: USM. KVCC. EMCC. SMCC. “I actually transferred quite a lot,” Poland said. “It was about the program I wanted.”Poland, a Skowhegan native, started off at the University of Southern Maine before moving on to Kennebec Valley and Eastern Maine Community Colleges. For the past three years, she’s been at Southern Maine Community College, playing on the women’s basketball team. The Seawolves are the No. 6 seed at the USCAA national championships in Uniontown, Pa., and face No. 3 seed Penn State Lehigh Valley at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. “Once I got to know the people here and the team, obviously that was a big part of me coming here and staying here,” Poland said. “The people here are just really welcoming.”...

http://www.centralmaine.com/2015/03/03/ ... t-at-smcc/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 am

SMCC's title hopes dashed at Nationals

MCC's women, ranked sixth, were ousted by No. 3 Penn State-Lehigh Valley, 74-67. Jaimi Poland led the way with 15 points and 13 rebounds. "I thought we got a pretty good draw," said Seawolves women's coach Julia Howe. "We were in a really close game the whole time. I was proud of my kids. For us, it was defensive slip-ups. We didn't get stops when we should have." n the consolation round, the Seawolves beat Berkeley (N.Y.) by a 62-57 score. Amira Jones had 19 points and 13 rebounds as SMCC won at game at Nationals for the first time and finished 21-9, matching a program record for victories in a season...

http://www.theforecaster.net/news/print ... als/227030
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)