SMCC basketball - women

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

SMCC basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:04 am

Lady Seawolves Triumph in Season Opener

Auburn - This afternoon the Lady Seawolves traveled to Central Maine CC to open up the 2014-15 season against Cegep Champlain St. Lawrence in CMCC's annual CanAm tournament. SMCC got offensive contributions from every player on their roster in today's game as they rolled to a 66-48 victory.

The Seawolves' opened up the first half shooting an impressive 60.9% from the field, going 14-23 from the floor but only shooting 0-1 from behind the arc. Freshman shooting guards Kendra Kagiliery (Kittery, ME) and Samantha Griffin (Union, ME) changed that poor outside shooting stat in the second half of play when they hit four consectuive three pointers in a three and a half minute span to give SMCC the 62-35 lead.

The balanced offensive attack for the Lady Seawolves was led by forward Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) who scored a team high eleven points. Shooting guard Jordan Turner (Casco, ME) chipped in with ten points while Kagiliery and Jaimi Poland (Skowhegan, ME) each netted nine. Hoyt and Poland each grabbed a game high eight rebounds and Turner led the team in steals with four.

Cegep Champlain St Lawrence was led by standout guard Karine Demeule who put up 15 points to go with eight rebounds, eight steals and six assists.

The Lady Seawolves will be back in action tomorrow at 10am for day two of the CanAm tournament. Tomorrow they will face the University of New Brunswick - St. John at 10am at Central Maine CC.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: SMCC basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 am

UNB Slips by Lady Seawolves

Auburn - A dismal shooting performance for the Lady Seawolves ended in a 61-55 loss in this morning's game against the other Lady Seawolves from the University of New Brunswick - St. John.

Despite playing a first half that was not crisp and was littered with turnovers the Seawolves were able to hang on to a two point lead entering the break, 28-26. The first fifteen minutes of the second half found the Seawolves battling against a reenergized UNB team who outscored SMCC by 21 to give themselves a 58-39 lead with 5:01 remaining in regulation. SMCC changed gears and applied full court pressure which sparked 9-0 run to close the gap to ten. The Seawolves run was sparked by an Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) layup and three made free throws by Jordan Turner (Casco, ME). In the second period the Lady Seawolves shot only 21% from the field and 11% from the three point line while UNB shot 40% from the field and 25% from downtown. The poor shooting percentage also plagued SMCC at the charity stripe, going 19-38 for the game.

SMCC outrebounded UNB 53-38 led by both Hoyt and Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) who grabbed 10 boards apiece. Turner ended with seven rebounds to go with her eight points and Jaimi Poland (Skowhegan, ME) grabbed six boards and netted nine points.

UNB was led by guards Rachel Jefferson and Allyson McLaughlin who scored 10 points each and combined for 14 rebounds.

With this loss the Lady Seawolves drop to 1-1 overall. They will return to action on Saturday November 1st at Bunker Hill Community College.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 am

Jones Leads Seawolves to Big Win Over Bunker Hill

Boston, MA - Lady Seawolves' freshman center Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) recorded her first collegiate double double scoring a game high 20 points and grabbing 16 rebounds as she led her team to a commanding 76-48 victory over the Lady Bulldogs of Bunker Hill Community College.

The Lady Seawolves jumped out to a 12-0 lead to open up the game and despite the best efforts of the Bulldogs they were unable to cut the lead to less than ten for the remainder of the contest. Sporting a ten point advantage going into the break, the Seawolves came out of the half reenergized and built their lead to thirty thanks in part to the impressive performance of freshman shooting guard Samantha Griffin (Union, ME) who ended with 14 points, five rebounds, four assists and three steals. Center Jennifer Genthner (Newcastle, ME) returned for her first game without restrictions after experiencing a preseason injury and rounded out the trio of double digit scorers for SMCC. Genthner netted 11 points to go along with eight rebounds.

The Lady Seawolves are now 2-1 for the 2014-15 season and will return to court for their home opener on Saturday November 8th at 1pm against 2013-14 national tournament semifinalist, Berkley College (NY).
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 am

Knights Hand Lady Seawolves 30 Point Loss

South Portland - Sloppy play and poor shooting got the best of the Lady Seawolves this afternoon as they fell to Berkeley College of New York by a score of 68-38. The Knights' defensive pressure forced the Seawolves' into 34 turnovers which were converted in 27 Berkeley points and the Lady Seawolves shot an unimpressive 25% from the field, going 14-56 for the game.

Despite committing 15 turnovers in the first sixteen minutes of play, the Lady Seawolves found themselves trailing by only five, 20-15, with 3:42 remaining in the first half. But the Lady Knights then went on a 14-4 run to close out the half, spurred by a Patricia Patterson jumpshot at the 3:27 mark, sending the Seawolves into the break chasing a 15 point lead. The Lady Knights' kept their momentum entering the second half, holding the Seawolves scoreless and forcing ten turnovers and holding the Seawolves to just eight points in ten minutes as they cruised to a 68-38 victory.

Lady Seawolves' standout forward Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) but her best effort into keeping her team in the game but even her 12 point, 18 rebound performance couldn't make up for the countless Seawolves' mistakes. Teammates Jennifer Genthner (Newcastle, ME) and Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) combined for 13 points and 12 rebounds and point guard Tiana Burton (Brunswick, ME) pitched in with five points and three steals.

The Seawolves, now 2-2, will look to redeem themselves tomorrow when they take the court at 4pm against the Lady Rams of Navy Prep.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 am

Navy Prep Dominates Lady Seawolves

South Portland - It was a tough weekend for the Lady Seawolves, as they lost their second game in two days to the Lady Rams of the Naval Academy Prepatory School, 84-64. For the first time this season the Lady Seawolves were outrebounded, 47-43, and at no point could they find an answer for the Rams' point guard, Tyra Hughes, who had game highs in points with 26, steals with seven and assists with five. Hughes also grabbed six rebounds.

Starting an unusual lineup comprised of four post players and a point guard, the Seawolves used their size and shooting ability from the post position to take the early lead over the Rams. Freshman center Jennifer Genthner (Newcastle, ME) started the game with a three pointer to put the Seawolves up three. SMCC maintained the lead for the first eight minutes and kept the game close throughout the first half of play. The Seawolves were trailing just six with five seconds remaining in the first half when Navy Prep guard Bianca Roach buried a hail mary from half court as time expired, giving the Lady Rams a nine point advantage at halftime.

The Rams came out running to start the second half and got six quick point in transition to expand their nine point lead to 15 just two minutes into the second half of play. The Seawolves were extremely aggressive attacking the rim in the second half, fouling out two Lady Rams and getting 30 attempts from the charity stripe, but only managed to capitalize on 20 of them. Despite the aggressive play, the Seawolves allowed Navy too many second chance opportunities and sent the Rams to free throw line where they shot an impressive 15-18.

The Lady Seawolves were led by a duo of freshman post players, Genthner who ended with 12 points, five rebounds and one volleyball type block, and teammate Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) who scored a team high 16 points and led the team in rebounds with nine.

The Lady Seawolves now have nearly a week of rest before they get back in action on Saturday the 15th at home against YSCC opponent Vermont Technical College at 1pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:30 am

SMCC hoops teams looking for big things in 2014-15
SOUTH PORTLAND—Southern Maine Community College's men's basketball team is off to a nearly perfect start this season and the women's squad is showing signs of promise as well.

Work in progress
The SMCC women have a very different look this season after graduating All-American Danielle McCusker and the program's all-time assist leader, Esther Palmieri, who is now an assistant coach. The SeaWolves are coming off the second best record in program history (19-8 after a 75-67 loss to the University of Maine-Augusta in the YSCC semifinals) and hope to keep the good times rolling. SMCC struggled early, winning just twice in its first five games. After a 66-48 victory over Cegep Champlain St. Lawrence, the SeaWolves lost to the University of New Brunswick (61-55). A 76-48 win at Bunker Hill CC was followed by losses to Berkeley of NYC (68-38) and Navy Prep (84-64), but SMCC has hit its stride with wins over Vermont Tech (108-53), Unity College (93-51) and Hampshire College (89-27) to improve to 5-3 at press time. Amira Jones had 20 points and 12 rebounds in the romp at Unity, then had another double-double (18 points, 14 boards) at Hampshire. Zyrah Guistra added 14 points in the latter victory...

Read more: http://www.theforecaster.net/news/print ... -15/218209
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:11 am

Lady Seawolves Too Much for Eagles

Bangor - The balanced offensive attack and depth of the Lady Seawolves was too much for the Golden Eagles, as SMCC defeated EMCC 79-48 in today's conference basketball action. All eleven players on the Lady Seawolves roster made contributions on offense, led by junior captain Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) who scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds.

Despite jumping out to a 6-0 lead, the Lady Seawolves found themselves trailing 10-6 at the 14:28 mark after back to back three pointers by EMCC's Jordan Maxwell and Bobbie-Lynne Chambers. The Seawolves responded with a 12-0 run to go ahead 18-10 and never relinquished the lead for the remainder of the game. The Lady Seawolves' reserves outscored EMCC's bench 36-2 and SMCC dominated the glass on both ends of the floor, outrebounding the Eagles 63-35, chalking up 30 of those 63 rebounds on the offensive glass.

Joining Hoyt on the offensive leaderboard were high school teammates Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) and Katy Cyr (Springfield, MA) who netted 10 points each. Jones also chipped in 12 rebounds to record doube double number five on the year. SMCC's Jaimi Poland (Skowhegan, ME), Jennifer Genthner (Newcastle, ME) and Samantha Griffin (Union, ME) each chipped in with nine points.

Maxwell led the Lady Eagles in nearly every category with 20 points, 11 rebounds and six assists.

The Lady Seawolves, now 6-4 overall and 4-1 in YSCC action, will be back at it on Thursday when they travel to NHTI to take on the Lady Lynx at 6pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:03 am

Lady Seawolves Get Commanding Win Over Clippers

South Portland - This afternoon the Lady Seawolves took to their home court, after a five game stretch on the road, against the Clippers of UMaine-Machias. A balanced scoring attack by SMCC, having seven players in double figures, helped the Seawolves come away with a 112-35 victory.

The Seawolves' defensive pressure held UMM scoreless for nearly six minutes, jumping out to an early 9-0 lead. With 9:09 remaining in the first period and a 26-8 lead, Seawolves' shooting guard Katy Cyr (Springfield, ME) went on an offensive tear scoring 10 of her 18 points over a three minute span to inflate the lead to 36-8. The Seawolves' closed out the half with a 27-5 run to go into the break sporting a fifty point lead.

The second half was dominated by the post players of the Seawolves as center Alicia Hoyt (Steep Falls, ME) netted 11 second half points, going 7-8 from the charity stripe and forward Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) scored nine points and grabbed seven boards. Jaimi Poland (Skowhegan, ME) chipped in with six points in the second half, going a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line.

Cyr had a well rounded performance for the Lady Wolves, scoring a team high 18 points, grabbing five rebounds, dishing out four assists and coming away with four steals. Hoyt and Jones both recorded double doubles for the Seawolves; Hoyt ended with 16 points, 11 boards and Jones chipped in 11 points and 10 rebounds. Poland, Caitlin King (Amesbury, MA) and Jordan Turner (Casco, ME) each contributed 12 points and Abigail Nielsen (North Yarmouth, ME) pitched in with 10 points.

Lady Clippers' guard Frankie Couture scored a team best nine points, with a triple and six free throws.

Next Thursday the Lady Seawolves (8-4 overall, 6-1 YSCC) will travel to conference rival Central Maine CC for a 6pm game.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:54 am

Central Maine Community College ousts rival SMCC

AUBURN — For much of the first half Thursday night, the Central Maine Community College women's basketball team worked tirelessly to get the lead. For most of the second half, the Mustangs had to work just as hard to preserve the lead against their rivals from Southern Maine Community College. CMCC held off the Seawolves for a 66-62 win. The Mustangs were down by as many as 12 points in the first half and then had to play stellar down the stretch to pull out the victory. "We haven't had a really tough game like that," guard Gabby Foy said. "It really shows the character and the heart that we have." Foy led the Mustangs (9-3, 6-0) with 24 points, 17 of which came in the second half. Malia Hamel added nine while Corrie Kinder and Kat Styles each had eight...

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... cc/1630282
Note: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:44 am

Fighting Saints Down Seawolves, 71-58

South Portland - In this afternoon's YSCC women's basketball matchup the Lady Seawolves took their home court against the Fighting Saints of the College of St. Joseph's (VT). A close fought first half found the Seawolves holding a two point advantage, 30-28, going into the break but in the second half the Seawolves shot a dismal 19%, 8-41, from the floor as the Fighting Saints pulled away to take the 71-58 win.

Lady Fighting Saints' shooting guard Chontayvia Kennedy scored her first points of the contest off the opening tip which was followed by a Seawolves turnover and a Jazz Laracuente layup to give St. Joe's the early 4-0 lead. Seawolves' forwards Amira Jones (Chicopee, MA) and Jaimi Poland (Skowhegan, ME) converted on back to backup layups to give the game it's first tie at 4-4 with 17:50 remaining. The first half saw seven ties and 14 lead changes with neither team leading by more than four points at any time during the first 20 minutes.

The second half was a different story for the Seawolves as they committed 14 turnovers, got outrebounded by five and shot only 19% from the field and 14% from the three point line. The poor shooting performance can be attributed to the post presence of Lady Saints' center Regina Steele who picked up eight blocked shots on the afternoon, to go with 14 rebounds and 13 points. Teammate Chontayvia Kennedy led all scorers with 31 points and also came away with eight steals on the afternoon.

The Lady Seawolves were led by Jones who scored 13 points and point guard Jordan Turner (Casco, ME) who scored five points, dished out five assists and grabbed a team high eight rebounds.

With this loss the Seawolves slip to 9-7 overall and 6-3 in YSCC play. They will take the court again on Wednesday at home against conference foe UMaine-Augusta at 6pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)