SMCC basketball - men

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: SMCC basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 am

Seawolves Cruise Past CSJ, Remain Unscathed in Conference Play

South Portland - This afternoon the two remaining undefeated YSCC men's basketball teams, SMCC and the College of St. Joseph's (VT), squared off at the Hutchinson Union Building. The Seawolves opened the game with 13 unanswered points to take a 13-0 lead just three minutes into first half action. The Saints would eventually find their offense but they were unable to get any closer than seven for the remainder of the contest, as the Seawolves rolled to a comfortable 102-82 victory.

The Seawolves scored 61 points in the first half, shooting an impressive 66% from the floor, 45% from the three point line and 89% from the charity stripe. Seawolves' forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) netted 13 first half points on 6-7 shooting to lead the offense while Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) and Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) knocked down 11 points apiece. The Seawolves dished out 16 first half assists and forced the Saints into 10 turnovers, taking a commanding 61-35 lead into the break.

The halftime break cooled the Seawolves down slightly, shooting 42% from the field and 27% from the perimeter in the second twenty minutues. The Seawolves built up a 34 lead with ten minutes remaining in the game, when the Saints went on a 11-0 run in the span of 1:18 to bring the game to 61-84. Point guard Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) haulted the Saints run with a make from downtown and for the remaining eight minutes the two teams exchanged baskets, as the Seawolves came away with the 20 point win, 102-82.

Simon netted a team high 18 points on 6-8 shooting from the floor and 6-7 from the free throw line. DeRosby finished with 15 points and four assists.

Saints' forward KaShean Alston led all scorers with 26 points on 11-17 shooting.

The Seawolves improve to 14-2 overall and remain unbeaten in YSCC action at 9-0. Their next test will be against UMaine-Augusta on Wednesday at home at 8pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 am

Seawolves Roll Over UMA

South Portland - The size and depth of Seawolves was too much for UMaine-Augusta to handle in tonight's men's conference basketball action. SMCC outrebounded UMA 54-42, and the Seawolves bench outscored the Moose 41-4, en route to a commanding 95-68 victory.

The Seawolves were able to outscore the Moose 14-4 in the first five minutes, due to eight quick points from starting forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY), and at no point during tonight's game were the Moose able to take control of the lead. In the first half, Simon scored 13 of his 18 points and shooting guard Grayson Waterman (Berwick, ME) netted 10 of his team high 19 points to give the Seawolves a 16 point, 46-30, halftime lead.

In the second half the Seawolves played extremely unselfish team basketball, putting 10 players in the scorebook, while dishing out 13 assists on the 18 made field goals of the half. Shooting guard Chase Soares (Falmouth, MA) led the team with three assists in the second half.

Leading the Seawolves was Waterman with 19 points and Simon with 18. Shooting guard Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME) pitched in 10 points while Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) and Alexander Hartford (Naples, ME) each scored eight.

The Seawolves are now sporting an impressive 15-2 overall record, while keeping a perfect 10-0 record in conference. They will play three consecutive YSCC contests this week with Eastern Maine CC on Saturday at noon and Northern Maine CC on Sunday and Monday at noon and 2pm respectively.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 am

Seawolves Defeat Eagles, Now 11-0 in Conference Play

South Portland - This afternoon the Golden Eagles of EMCC made a valiant effort as they competed against the talented 14 person Seawolves' roster with only five eligible players. Despite being outscored 48-29 in the first half the Eagles were able to bounce back in the second, getting outscored by just two points, 45-43 in the second half. The Seawolves shot an impressive 48% from the floor while going 30% from beyond the three point line as they picked up the 92-71 victory.

The Seawolves took an early 10-5 lead after back to back three pointers from Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) and Grayson Waterman (Berwick, ME). The Seawolves were able to put ten people in the scoring column in the first half alone, led by junior Alexander Hartford (Naples, ME) who netted 10 in the first twenty minutes.

The Seawolves bench contributed 28 of the 45 total points scored in the second half, led by sophomore shooting guard Josh Gormley (Waterville, ME) who scored nine points on 4-6 shooting including one make from downtown. Eagles' shooting guard Myles Safford tried to keep the Eagles within reach by nailing three trey's in the second half but it wasn't enough to overcome the large first half deficit and the Seawolves prevailed with the 92-71 victory.

Hartford led the team with highs in points and rebounds, contributing 12 and seven respectively. Martin knocked down 11 while Waterman and big man Jack Tolan (South Portland, ME) each chipped in ten.

Safford led all scorers with 20 points for the Golden Eagles.

With this win the Seawolves improve to 11-0 in YSCC play and 15-1 overall. Just a reminder that tomorrow and Monday's games previously scheduled against Northern Maine CC have been cancelled. The Seawolves will play next on Wednesday at home against Unity College at 8pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:31 am

SMCC 90, CMCC 74 :

Atencio Martin scored 15 points, Tyheem Simon 14 and Grayson Waterman 13 in leading the SeaWolves (20-2, 14-0 YSCC) past the Mustangs (13-13, 10-3) in South Portland.

WMTW highlights
about 4:00 mark ...http://www.wmtw.com/sports/hoops8/hoops ... s/31227564
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Seawolves Defeat Golden Eagles, Advance to Semifinals

Concord, NH - Tonight the Seawolves took the court at New Hampshire Technical Institute for YSCC quarterfinal action against the Golden Eagles of Eastern Maine CC. The Seawolves took a commanding 19 point lead at the halftime break aand despite being outscored by two points in the second half, the Seawolves were able to pull away with the 77-60 win.

The Seawolves took an early 24-7 lead before the Eagles were able to find a rhythmn on offense. EMCC proceeded to rattle off ten consecutive points thanks to a layup and a three pointer from Eagles' guard Martavius Lockhart. With just over five minutes remaining the Seawolves held only a seven point advantage but they were able to close out the half with a 15-2 run which included six points from shooting guard Josh Gormley (Waterville, ME).

In the second half Seawolves' forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) scored 11 of his 18 points but the Eagles had the answer in shooter Brett Deniger who connected on EMCC to claw their way back to a single digit deficit, 61-54, but Chase Soares (Falmouth, MA) responded with a big three pointer from the top of the key for SMCC and then Alexander Hartford (Sanford, ME) converted on an old-fashioned three-point play to bring the Seawolves lead back to 13. In the final five minutes SM outscored EM 10-6 to claim the 77-60 victory.

Simon's 18 points were a team high, while Soares and Hartford pitched in with 12 apiece. Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) added 11 points and six rebounds and point guard Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) led the team in assists with five.

Deniger ended with 20 points to lead the Golden Eagles.

The Seawolves will play in the semifinals tomorrow at 6pm against the winner of the Central Maine CC and Vermont Technical College quarterfinal matchup.

Southern Maine Community College empowers students to respond to a changing world and enhances economic and cultural development in Southern Maine by providing a variety of educational opportunities and partnerships.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Seawolves Edge VTC to Earn Spot in YSCC Championship

Concord, NH - In tonight's YSCC semifinal matchup between the top seed Seawolves and the fifth seed Knights of Vermont Tech, SMCC used their size and depth to wear down the Knights and walk away with the 61-57 triumph.

Seawolves' big man Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) set the tone early for SMCC, scoring the first six points of the game and nearing a double-double in the first half with eight points and ten rebounds. The two teams were even in nearly every statistical category throughout the first half; each team had 17 rebounds, both teams connected on only one three point shot and both had five or less turnovers. The even play resulted in a 28-28 tie entering the break.

The second half would be no different than the first with back and forth play and neither team able to gain a substantial lead. The largest lead of the half came at the 14:56 mark when the Knights were on top 40-33. The Seawolves netted eight unanswered points, including back to back three pointers from Chase Soares (Falmouth, MA) and Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME), to regain the lead at 41-40. The difference in tonight's tightly played second half was Seawolves' forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) who went a perfect 5-5 from the floor and 4-6 from the free throw line to drop 14 points and help the Seawolves hold onto the lead late in the game and grab the 61-57 win.

Simon led the Seawolves with 16 points and Gonzalez added a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) netted 10 points while Soares and point guard Jordan DeRosby pitched in with eight apiece.

The Knights were led by Jamal Hughes who scored a game high 18 points.

The Seawolves will be facing the College of St. Joseph's VT in the YSCC championship tomorrow at 2:30pm at NHTI.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Saints Edge Seawolves in OT to Claim YSCC Championship

Concord, NH - In this afternoon's YSCC championship game, the Seawolves were hindered by a combination of foul trouble, poor perimeter shooting and a 51-46 rebound margin in favor of the opponent which allowed the College of St. Joseph's to grab a 73-67 overtime victory over top-ranked SMCC.

Both teams struggled to find their offense in the opening minutes of this afternoon's contest as St. Joe's led by a score of just 6-4 after six minutes of play. Chase Soares (Falmouth, MA) was able to kickstart the Seawolves offense when he connected on back to back shots from downtown that ignited a 13-3 SMCC run. The Saints battled back to cut the lead to just six after shooting guard Kyle Houston rattled off four points with under a minute left to play in the half. As time expired Seawolves' captain Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) was fouled on a last-second, long-range three pointer, sending him to the free throw line with less than a second on the clock. Martin knocked down all three of his shots from the charity stripe to pump the Seawolves lead back up to nine as the teams entered the locker rooms.

To start the second half Martin picked up right where he left off, scoring four of the first seven second half points for the Seawolves as they built their largest lead of the game, 40-27. Saints' sixth man Steven Edwards was able to single-handedly erase the Seawolves lead when he scored 14 consecutive points for the Saints, including four made three-pointers, giving the Saints the 50-46 lead with 8:19 remaining. Martin and Seawolves' forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) combined to score 16 of the Seawolves' final 18 points if regulation, including three clutch free throws, one by Simon and two by Martin, to send the game to overtime.

Throughout the course of regulation foul trouble had disqualified Seawolves' big man Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) and point guard Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) so SMCC would begin the overtime battle without two of their starting five. The Seawolves struck first in overtime with a made layup from Martin but the Saints responded on the following possession with a made layup by Josh McAfee. With 1:14 left in overtime the Saints had the ball and were clinging to a three point lead, 70-67. A couple missed close outs by the Seawolves resulted in three offensive rebounds for the Saints and eventually ended with an SM foul that sent Houston to the free throw line where he connected on both to give CSJ a five point lead with :30 remaining. The Seawolves were able to get a couple good looks ffrom the perimeter in the final seconds but were unable to connect, shooting only 4-28 from beyond the arc for the game. CSJ held the lead, defeating SMCC in a thriller, to claim the YSCC championship.

Martin led all Seawolves scorers with 22 points and Simon ended with 19. Simon was honored as the Offensive Player of the Elite 8 Tournament, averaging 17.6 points per game over the course of the tournament.

Edwards was high scorer for the Saints with 21 points, including 6 makes from three point range. Kashean Alston netted 16, grabbed eight rebounds and earned Defensive Player of the Tournament. MVP was given to CSJ's Dre Anderson who ended the game with nine points and seven rebounds.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 am

Waterville’s DeRosby is ‘Mr. Steady’ for top seed Seawolves
Southern Maine City College is preparing for the USCAA Division II tournament.

Waterville native Jordan DeRosby plays for Southern Maine Community College, perhaps the best men’s basketball team in USCAA Division II. When SMCC coach Matt Richards calls his point guard, “Mr. Steady,” it also refers to DeRosby’s personality. “He’s one of those guys who never really shows the highs of the highs or the lows of the lows,” Richards said. “If we have a big run, you might get a fist pump, but that’s about it. If we’re struggling, you can’t really tell by his reaction. He’s just calm, cool, and collected.”...

http://www.centralmaine.com/2015/03/04/ ... seawolves/
Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 am

SMCC's title hopes dashed at Nationals

The Southern Maine Community College men's and women's basketball teams traveled to the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association Division II national championship in Newport News, Virginia last week full of hope, but both squads were ousted in the quarterfinals. The men, ranked first, were upset by No. 9 Penn State-Mont Alto. 71-67, despite 15 points from Tyheem Simon. The Seawolves couldn't quite rally from a 14-point second half deficit. "We had a six-minute spell where we just couldn't put it in the basket," lamented SMCC men's coach and athletic director Matt Richards. "We had great looks, but we missed layups. You don't get do-overs. We got down 12, but came back strong. We got it to two and they made free throws and we lost by four. That team was on an incredible run and wound up playing for the championship. We played the wrong team at the wrong time."...

http://www.theforecaster.net/news/print ... als/227030
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)