SMCC basketball - men

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

SMCC basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:01 am

Seawolves Down St. Thomas to Win First Game of the Season

Auburn - Today the Seawolves opened up their 2014-15 season at Central Maine CC's CanAm tournament against St. Thomas University. On paper the two teams were nearly identical in almost every category. The Seawolves shot 35.3% from the field, 15.4% from the three point line, and 53.8% from the free throw line while St. Thomas shot 33.8% from the field, 15.8% from beyond the arc, and 58.8% from the charity stripe. SMCC had 20 turnovers to St. Thomas' 21 and the Seawolves grabbed 15 steals while St. Thomas got 13. The difference maker for SMCC was rebounding, the Seawolves' outrebounded St. Thomas 48-38 as they pulled away with a 66-58 victory.

The Seawolves' were led by captain Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) scoring a team high 15 points to go along with seven rebounds, also a team high. Small forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) gave SMCC a huge lift off the bench, scoring 10 points on 4-6 shooting and Seawolves' veteran Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME) netted eight points, including a big time three pointer near the end of the game, and coralled six rebounds. Another noteworthy performance came from Seawolves center Thomas Enerva (Chardon, OH) who put up nine point and five boards.

St. Thomas was led by William Barber who scored a game high 22 points, including an 8-9 performance at the charity stripe.

The Seawolves will be back in action tomorrow at 11:30am at Central Maine CC against the University of New Brunswick - St. John.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: SMCC basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:01 am

Seawolves Get Through CanAm Tournament Unscathed

Auburn - In game two of this weekend's CanAm tournament the Seawolves were able to come away with a 63-59 win over the University of New Brunswick - St. John, mostly due to their domination on the offensive glass. SMCC tallied 27 offensive rebounds, including six from center Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) which resulted in 14 second chance points. Meanwhile, UNB only had nine offensive boards and seven second chance points.

Trailing by 12 at the break, UNB-St. John rallied in the second half, pulling ahead 55-54 with 9:10 remaining in the contest but Seawolves' shooting guard Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME) halted the UNB momentum when he answered with a made three pointer that put SMCC back on top 57-55. The Seawolves maintained the lead for the remaining 8:55 to eventually come away with the 63-59 triumph. Tuplin led the SMCC offense with 12 points to go with three rebounds and two assists. Gonzalez ended with 10 total rebounds and nine points.

The Seawolves are off to a hot start, going 2-0 in opening weekend. They will look to continue the streak on November 1st when the play their first home game against Navy Prep at 1pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:02 am

Seawolves Take Navy Prep in Double OT

South Portland - In Saturday's men's basketball action the Seawolves of SMCC and the Rams of Navy Prep went back and forth for 49 minutes with 10 ties and 18 lead changes. But an Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) jump shot in the second overtime period put the Seawolves on top for the final time, 81-80. Point guard Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) added two made free throws to pad the SMCC lead to three points with 00:36 remaining. In the final seconds the Seawolves forced Navy into two turnovers and Martin capitalized on a free throw to solidify the win, 84-80.

The afternoon's most noteworthy performance came off the Seawolves' bench. Sophomore guard/forward Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) gave the Seawolves 22 minutes off the bench and had a stellar offensive performance, shooting 70% from the floor (7-10) and 75% from the free throw line (3-4), to end with a team high 17 points. Simon also grabbed eight rebounds, three of those coming on the offensive glass. As a team the Seawolves outrebounded the Rams 47-26.

After this weekend the Seawolves remain unbeaten at 3-0. Their next test will be against Berkley College of NYC on Saturday at home at 3pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:03 am

Tuplin Leads Seawolves Past Berkeley

South Portland - He may be "old" be he's still got it! Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME), who returns to the Seawolves after having played for the 2009 team, put on a stellar shooting performance today against the Knights of Berkeley College (NY). The 26-year-old veteran poured in 29 points on 9-13 shooting, including 6-10 from beyond the arc in 26 minutes of play, leading the Seawolves to an 81-79 victory over the Knights.

The Seawolves jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the first two minutes after a Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME)jump shot and made free throw, a Grayson Waterman (Berwick, ME) three pointer and an Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) layup. The Seawolves' remained in the drivers seat for most of the first half until Knights' guard Tasheen Carrow drill a three pointer to give Berkeley the 26-24 lead. Back and forth action for the remainder of the first left the Seawolves trailing by four, 39-35, entering the break.

In second half action the Knights came out strong, building their lead to nine, 46-37 but a three pointer by Seawolves' point guard Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) at the 16:46 mark sparked a comeback run by SMCC. The 9-2 run over a two minute stretch was capped off by one of Tuplin's six made three pointers, giving the Seawolves a one point edge, 49-48. The biggest lead for either team for the remaining 14 minutes came at the 7:47 mark when a pair of made free throws by Kevin Fabian (Lawrence, MA) gave the Seawolves a five point lead that lasted thirteen seconds until Berkeley responded with a made layup to bring the spread back down to three. The final lead change came with one minute remaining, the Knights' were clinging to a 79-78 lead when Atencio Martin capitalized on a baseline jumper to put SMCC back on top. A missed shot opportunity by Berkeley resulted in a Tuplin rebound and a trip to the free throw line, where he connected on the back end of two shots to solidify the 81-79 victory.

The Seawolves are off to a hot start, sporting a 4-0 record, and will look to remain perfect when they play Bridgton Academy on Wednesday night at 6pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:03 am

Wolverines Hand Seawolves First Loss

Bridgton - Tonight the Seawolves traveled to Bridgton Academy where their undefeated streak was brought to halt with a 67-60 loss to the Wolverines. Bridgton sealed the victory at the 1:15 mark when a loose ball scramble with ten seconds left on the shot clock resulted in a made three point attempt by the Wolverines' Jamal White to put his team up seven. Despite their best efforts, the Seawolves' were unable to bridge the gap during the final 1:15.

Combining for more than half the Seawolves' total offense were combo guard/forwards Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) and Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) who scored 19 and 18 points respectively.

The Seawolves, not 4-1, will begin their conference schedule on Saturday the 15th at home against Vermont Tech at 3pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 am

SMCC hoops teams looking for big things in 2014-15

SOUTH PORTLAND—Southern Maine Community College's men's basketball team is off to a nearly perfect start this season and the women's squad is showing signs of promise as well.

Auspicious beginnings
Matt Richards is now in his 12th season as the coach of the SeaWolves men's program and has been pleasantly surprised as to what he's witnessed so far, considering the team welcomed 11 new players.

"We're off to a better start than I thought we'd be," said Richards. "When you graduate an All-American point guard (Jose Nouchanthavong) and a couple kids who played in your program for a couple years, it's tough."

SMCC, which went 21-9 a year ago, reaching the Yankee Small College Conference semifinals before losing to St. Joseph (Vt.), 79-65, opened the 2014-15 campaign with wins over St. Thomas University (66-59), University of New Brunswick (63-59), Navy Prep (84-80, in a double overtime thriller) and Berkeley of New York City (81-79) before falling at Bridgton Academy (67-60). The SeaWolves bounced right back with wins over Vermont Tech (70-53), Unity (97-53) and Hampshire College (90-44). Atencio Martin had 18 points at Unity, while Carlos Gonzalez had 13 at Hampshire College.

Read more: http://www.theforecaster.net/news/print ... -15/218209
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:10 am

Hot Shooting Lifts Seawolves Over Eagles

Bangor - In this afternoon's YSCC basketball matchup between Southern Maine CC and Eastern Maine CC the Seawolves shot impressive 54% from the field, capitalizing on 40 of their 76 shot attempts, en route to a 96-46 victory. High scorer in today's game was SMCC center Jack Tolan (South Portland, ME) who scored a career high 16 points on 7-10 shooting.

After four minutes of play a layup by EMCC's Myles Safford brought the Eagles to within one, 10-9, the closest they would come for the remainder of the contest. After Safford's layup the Seawolves went on a 13-0 run, capped off by a Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME) three pointer, to put SMCC on top 23-9. The Seawolves forced the Eagles to commit 20 turnovers and outrebounded them 24-6 in the first half to hold onto a comfortable 44-21 lead heading into the break.

The Seawolves offense continued to roll in the second half with eleven players making their way into the scorebook, outscoring the Eagles by 27 in the second 20 minutes of play. SMCC forward John Morgan (Tallahassee, FL) scored a team high eight second half points to contribute to the Seawolves 52 point performance.

SMCC's Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) had a noteworthy stat line with 15 points, nine rebounds, four assists and two blocks while Grayson Waterman (Berwick, ME) 15 points and three rebounds. The Eagles were led by Keyshawn Hampton who scored 16 points.

With this win the Seawolves remain unbeaten in YSCC play with a perfect 5-0 record and improve to 9-1 overall. Their next game will be against NHTI on Thursday, December 4th at 8pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 am

Seawolves Ward Off Clippers, Remain Unbeaten in YSCC Play

South Portland - This afternoon, the Seawolves, currently ranked number one in the YSCC East, battled against the number three Clippers of UMaine-Machias. Both teams were sporting spotless conference records entering today's contest but after 40 hard fought minutes the Seawolves handed the Clippers a 90-77 loss.

1:09 into the game, Seawolves' standout Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) hit a shot from beyond the arc to put SMCC on top 3-0, a lead they would not relinquish throughout the game. The Seawolves shot a stellar 52.8% from the floor in the first half, including Martin's perfect 3-3 performance, in comparison to the Clippers' 32% shooting. The Seawolves also outrebounded UMM in the first half, 21-11. The rebound margin, coupled with the impressive shooting percentage, allowed the Seawolves to double up the Clippers, 44-22, going into the break.

The Seawolves were able to maintain their 22 point advantage until the 11:32 mark of the second half, 67-45, but the Clippers refused to go away and started to claw their way back into the game. Over the next six minutes UMM outscored SMCC 19-9, thanks in part to seven points from Clippers center Ivory Sneed, to close the gap to just 12 points. The game went back and forth for four minutes until an Antwan Ruise layup at 1:42 pulled the Clippers to within 10 but SMCC answered with back to back layups from Alexander Hartford (Naples, ME) and Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) giving SMCC an 89-75 lead with under a minute to play.

Leading the Seawolves were forwards Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) and Jack Tolan (South Portland, ME) who netted 15 points apiece on a combined 12-16 shooting. Martin put up 13 and center Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) chipped in with 12. Sneed led the Clippers with a game high 24 points.

The Seawolves will be back in action on Thursday for a rivalry game against number two ranked Central Maine CC at CMCC at 8pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 am

DeRosby dials long distance, steers SM past CM

UBURN — The plan was a relatively safe, easy pass over the top for a close, tying basket. The alternative was something a little more high-risk from farther out. When the first strategy didn't work Thursday night for the Southern Maine Community College men's basketball team, the Seawolves opted for Plan B. It was gutsy shot of desperation, but high risk brought a big reward. Waterville's Jordan DeRosby drilled a 3-pointer from the left corner to lift SMCC to a thrilling 73-72 win over Central Maine Community College at Kirk Hall...

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... cm/1630284
Note: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

Seawolves Open Second Semester with a Victory

South Portland - The Seawolves opened up the new year in winning fashion as they downed the Knights of Northern Essex CC by a score of 79-68 in tonight's men's basketball action. The Seawolves were able to use their depth and a balanced scoring attack, putting 12 players in the scorebook, to overcome the Knights.

Knights' point guard Edwin Gonzalez scored seven of his teams first nine points as Northern Essex jumped out to an early 9-6 lead after five and a half minutes of play. The Seawolves responded with a 14-5 run to pull ahead 20-14 midway through the half. The teams exchanged baskets until Northern Essex was able to edge the Seawolves by one with with 4:07 remaining but the Seawolves closed out the half with a 10-3 run to go into the break ahead sporting a 39-33 lead.

Seawolves' forwards Carlos Gonzalez (Lewiston, ME) and Tyheem Simon (Queens, NY) netted a pair of layups to open the second half and expand the Seawolves lead to ten, 43-33. The Seawolves would build on their lead throughout the half, until they gained their largest lead of the game at 19 points, with seven minutes to play. Down but not out, the Knights' chipped away at the Seawolves lead and were able to get it down to ten, 73-63, but Simon haulted the Knights' run with a pair of made free throws and the Seawolves were able to hang on and pick up their thirteenth win of the seaon.

Simon led the Seawolves with 12 points while Atencio Martin (Kittery, ME) and Josh Tuplin (Bath, ME) each pitched in 11. Shooting guard Grayson Waterman (Berwick, ME) added 10 and Jordan DeRosby (Waterville, ME) netted nine points and grabbed a team high 10 rebounds.

Edwin Gonzalez led the Knights with a game high 24 points.

The Seawolves (13-2, 8-0 YSCC) will be back on the court on Saturday at home against the College of St. Joseph's (VT) at 3pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)