Husson basketball - men

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: Husson basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Men's Basketball Makes Big Statement at 2014 D3hoops.com Classic

Las Vegas, NV - Husson University men's basketball traveled to Las Vegas to compete in the D3hoops.com Classic, organized by SportTours International. Facing a tough schedule against #16 Scranton and unbeaten Hampden-Sydney, the Eagles walked away with two thrilling victories and turned a lot of heads.

On Sunday, Husson took on nationally ranked #16 Scranton in the tournament opener. With double-digit scoring on the night from Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT), Raheem Anderson (Miramar, FL), and Aaron Willis (New York, NY), the Eagles went up 10 points at halftime and sealed the game at 79-74.

Check out Coach Warren Caruso's interview following the win over Scranton:

The next night, Husson bounced back to face Hampden-Sydney. The Eagles' Butler scored a three-pointer in heavy traffic at the buzzer to deliver a 53-51 win. Butler finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds while Anderson added 19 points and five rebounds. Willis added six points and six rebounds.

Here is Butler's buzzer-beating three-pointer:

With these two victories, Husson heads into 2015 at 8-1. Anderson was named to the All-Tournament Team, and Butler was honored as the tournament's Most Outstanding Player.

The Eagles will return to Maine and face Colby on the road on January 6 at 7:00 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 am

Husson men earn national ranking; Caruso poised to earn 400th win

BANGOR, Maine — The Husson University men’s basketball team is steeped in tradition, but this year’s squad accomplished a program first this week. The Eagles caught the attention of the voters in the national poll after knocked off then-No. 16 Scranton and edging highly regarded and previously unbeaten Hampden-Sydney during the D3hoops.com Classic at Las Vegas. Those wins, which extended an early-season winning streak to seven games, helped coach Warren Caruso’s team earn a No. 23 ranking in the D3hoops.com Division III men’s basketball poll.

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/09/s ... 400th-win/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:01 am

Husson men beat Maine Maritime Academy; coach Caruso earns 400th win

The verdict was the 400th of Caruso’s 20-plus-year career as Husson’s head coach and extended his career record to 400-185 (.684). It also kept Husson (9-2, 5-0 NAC) atop the league standings. “It’s a program accomplishment,” Caruso said. “I say all the time that no one person in the program’s more important than the others. That starts with me and goes right down through our coaching staff and our players. It takes a lot of pieces of the puzzle to be successful and I’m one of those pieces.”...

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/10/s ... 400th-win/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 am

#23 Husson Defeats MMA; Coach Caruso Notches 400th Win

Bangor, ME – Husson opened their 2015 North Atlantic Conference slate with a victory over Maine Maritime Academy, 78-64. The victory marked Coach Warren Caruso's 400th career win and improved the 23rd-ranked Eagles to 9-2 (5-0 NAC). The Mariners fall to 1-10 (0-5 NAC) with the loss.

In the opening five minutes, the teams were deadlocked, Husson went up 11-10, and MMA responded with eight unanswered points to gain an 18-11 lead. The Mariners held the lead until a Josiah Hartley (Bangor, ME) layup tied things up at 21-21 with 6:30 remaining on the clock. With just under five minutes remaining, an Aaron Willis (New York, NY) three-pointer gave Husson the lead at 26-24, but the teams continued to battle. Dylan Price (Madison, ME) scored at the buzzer to give the Mariners a 36-34 lead heading into the half.

Both teams kept it close in the second half, and with 9:01 remaining the score was knotted at 55-55. The Eagles jumped out to a 62-56 lead with seven minutes remaining off a Jacob Moore (Hampden, ME) three. MMA fought back to 62-60 with five remaining with baskets from Tyler Thayer (Hermon, ME) and Brendan Newcomb (Holden, ME).

With two minutes remaining, the Eagles held a 71-64 lead. Foul shots from Matt Talbot (Portland, ME) increased the lead to 73-64, and Talbot sunk a jumper and one more foul shot to put Husson up 76-64. Raheem Anderson (Miramar, FL) sunk two more from the line to make it 78-64, and the Eagles walked away with the victory.

Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT) and Talbot led Husson with 16 points each. Willis and Eli Itkin (Pawtucket, RI) contributed 13 points apiece.

For the Mariners, Nick Holt (Ellsworth, ME) had a game-high 21 points. Thayer and Newcomb each contributed 10 points.

Husson will next face the University of Maine-Farmington in another home NAC contest on January 13 at 7:30 PM. Maine Maritime will host Thomas on Tuesday, also at 7:30 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:11 am

Men's Basketball Stays Perfect in the NAC with Victory over UMF

Bangor, ME – Husson men's basketball remained unbeaten in the North Atlantic Conference as they defeated the University of Maine-Farmington 72-52 at Newman Gym on Tuesday night. The Eagles improve to 10-2 (6-0 NAC), while the Beavers fall to 4-9 (3-4 NAC).

Maine-Farmington held a slight lead for the first ten minutes of the game, finding themselves up by five on several occasions. Husson fought their way back into it, though, and took their first lead of the game at 18-16 with 9:37 remaining. The Eagles expanded their lead to 12 points with 3:10 left on the clock, as an Aaron Willis (New York, NY) layup made it 32-20. The Eagles maintained a ten-point lead heading into the half up 37-27.

In the first half, Husson shot 50 percent from the floor to Farmington's 34.3 percent. The Eagles went 6-for-12 beyond the arc, where the Beavers hit 1 of 7. Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT) and Willis led with seven points apiece for Husson. Maine-Farmington's Nick Hilton (Wilton, ME) had 11 first half points.

Husson increased its lead to 15 in the second half when Butler hit a jumper with 11:30 remaining to make it 50-35. Minutes later, a Matt Talbot (Portland, ME) basket followed by a foul shot gave the Eagles a 21-point lead, 58-37. The Eagles finished the game up 20, 72-52.

For the Eagles, Butler finished the game with a team-high 13 points and nine rebounds, and Willis and Raheem Anderson (Miramar, FL) were right behind him with 12 and 11 points. Talbot put up eight points and had six rebounds, three assists, three blocks, and two steals for Husson.

Hilton had a game-high 14 points for UMF, and he also grabbed nine rebounds. Uriah Forest-Bulley (Turner Falls, MA) had eight points and eight rebounds for the Beavers.

Husson will next face Colby-Sawyer on the road on Friday, as the only two unbeaten teams in the NAC meet for the first time this season. Maine-Farmington will host Thomas College on Saturday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 am

Caruso continues tradition of excellence with Husson men’s basketball program

BANGOR | There is a tradition, and an expectation, of excellence within the Husson University men’s basketball program. In the modern era it began under Del Merrill, who coached from 1955-1968. It continued with Bruce MacGregor (1969-19940), who guided the team to prominence in the National Association of Intercollegiate …

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/16/s ... l-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:37 am

Butler Recognized as NAC Men's Basketball Player of the Week
From Carly GettlerAdd contact
Sender PrestoSportsAdd contact
To tom@mbr.orgAdd contact
Date Mon 14:12
Husson Athletics
January 19, 2015

Whitingham, VT - For the second time this season, Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT) has been selected as the North Atlantic Conference's Men's Basketball Player of the Week. Butler led Husson to a 3-0 week, as the Eagles defeated three NAC opponents and now hold first place in the league with an 8-0 NAC record.

The junior scored 60 points this week, averaging 20 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 1.7 assists, while shooting .550 percent (22-of-40) from the field. The forward started his week with a 13-point, nine rebound performance in a 72-52 win over UMaine-Farmington. He then recorded 20 points, eight rebounds, three assists, two steals, and one block, as the Eagles handed Colby-Sawyer its first conference loss. Butler ended his week with a double-double, 27 points and 11 rebounds, in an 82-79 win over NEC.

He currently ranks in the top five in the leagues in many statistical categories, including points per game, rebounds per game, and steals.

Click here to see Butler's 2014-15 statistics.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:42 am

Freshman Holmes earning his minutes at Husson
The Messalonskee graduate got his first career start Jan. 10 vs. Maine Maritime.

BANGOR — Jordan Holmes did not bring any expectations with him to Husson University, he just wanted to play basketball. Now, he is getting his chance. A graduate of Messalonskee High School, Holmes is a freshman on the Husson men’s basketball team (10-2, 8-0 North Atlantic Conference) and has recently worked his way into more playing time. “I didn’t really expect to get much time being a freshman, but of course me being a basketball player I wanted to play basketball,” Holmes said. “I worked my way in, just trying to get a role. I didn’t want to be the man, I wasn’t trying to score every time or anything, I just wanted to work to get that role on the team and be part of the game.”...

Read more: http://www.centralmaine.com/2015/01/20/ ... at-husson/
Note: Central Maine (KJ + Sentinel ) - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:43 am

Men's Basketball Wins Fifth-Straight Against Johnson State

Bangor, ME - Husson men's basketball won their fifth in a row with a 90-67 victory over Johnson State on Friday night at Newman Gym. With the victory, the Eagles improve to 13-2 (9-0 North Atlantic Conference). Johnson falls to 2-14 (2-7 NAC).

Husson's Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT) was the high-scorer on the night, putting up 20 points, and grabbing six rebounds, three steals, one assist, and one block. Four other Eagles scored in double digits on the night: Raheem Anderson (Miramar, FL) with 17, Jacob Moore (Hampden, ME) with 13, and Connor Adams (Bangor, ME) and Josiah Hartley (Bangor, ME) with 10 each. Mitch Worcester (Washburn, ME) had a game-high eight rebounds.

The teams played a close game in the first half until Husson started to pull away at 16-11 and ended up with an eighteen point lead at 33-15, with 4:25 remaining. The Eagles headed into halftime up 49-22.

In the second half, maintained a comfortable lead. Johnson State outscored Husson 45-41 but never threatened the lead. For the Badgers, Ron Adrian (Schenectady, NY) scored a team-high 13 points. Demetrius Slade (Washington, DC) added twelve for the visitors, and Asim Khan (Torrance, CA) had 10. Terrance Manning (Providence, RI) had a team-high seven rebounds on the night.

Husson will take on Lyndon State at 3 PM on Saturday at Newman Gym. Johnson State will travel to Maine Maritime for a 2 PM game.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 am

Husson Stumbles Against Lyndon State

Bangor, ME – Husson University men's basketball suffered its first North Atlantic Conference defeat at the hands of Lyndon State on Saturday afternoon in Newman Gymnasium, 101-85. The Eagles drop to 9-1 in league play (13-3 overall), while the Hornets pick up their fourth NAC win to improve to 4-6 (5-11 overall).

Lyndon State jumped out to an early 9-1 lead, fueled by a series of Husson turnovers. The Hornets increased their lead to 22-9 with 10:02 remaining on the clock, as Husson struggled to make baskets. The Eagles closed the gap to eight and headed into the half trailing 39-31.

The Hornets were fueled by a 48.3 shooting percentage from the field (14-of-29), where Husson shot 29.4 percent (10-of-34). Husson went 0-for-7 from behind the arc to Lyndon's 6-for-10. Avery King (Pawtucket, RI) paced the Hornets with 11 points, and Robert Alers (Central Falls, RI) scored eight. Husson's Raheem Anderson (Miramar, FL) scored 11 first half points, and Trevon Butler (Waterbury, CT) had nine points and six rebounds.

Butler scored the opening basket of the second half to cut the Hornets' lead to six. A Lyndon State run extended their lead to 14, highlighted by strong play from Jose Berroa (Lawrence, MA). With ten minutes remaining, the Hornets led by 16, 61-45. Husson struggled on offense, finding themselves 14-for-48 from the field (29.2 percent) and 0-for-12 from beyond the arc with ten minutes remaining.

Jacob Moore (Hampden, ME) broke the Eagles' dry spell with a three-pointer at 67-48, but it wasn't enough, as Husson found themselves down 71-48 with just over six minutes remaining. Lyndon held on to their lead, despite a late push from the Eagles, and won the game 101-85.

David Johnson (Washington, DC) finished with a game-high 32 points for the Hornets. Rontrez Purcell (Washington, DC) added 15 points, Berroa had 14, Alers scored 12, and King finished with 11. Alers also had a game-high seven rebounds.

For Husson, Butler finished the night with 27 points and seven rebounds. Anderson added 19, and Eli Itkin (Providence, RI) scored 15.

The Eagles will travel to Bowdoin on Tuesday for a 7 PM game. The Hornets will also be on the road to take on Middlebury on Tuesday at 7 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)