CMCC basketball - women

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: CMCC basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:56 pm

CMCC 100 – UMaine-Machis 40

Box score: http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/wbkb/2 ... 7_kj5q.xml

Once again CM's pressure and depth was too much to handle for another Yankee Conference foe. The Lady Mustangs jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, cruising to a 100-40 win over the Clippers of UMaine-Machias.

Six different Lady Mustangs scored in double-figures, while the team dished out 21 assists and sniped 28 steals. Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) had a game-high 21 points, while Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) was the only other starter in double figures with 10 points. CM got 56 points from their bench, including 15 points for Bri Grant (Searsport, ME), 13 from Kat Styles (Franklin, NH), and 10 points a piece from Alex Rowe (South Paris, ME) and Malia Hamel (Edmonton, AB).

Corrie Kinder (North Haverhill, NH) pulled down a team-high 11 rebounds.

The Lady Mustangs shot 45% from the floor for the game, and forced 45 turnovers.

With the win CM improves to 8-3 overall and 5-0 in the YSCC. The Lady Mustangs will be back in action on Thursday when they host rival, SMCC at 6:00pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:55 am

Central Maine Community College ousts rival SMCC

AUBURN — For much of the first half Thursday night, the Central Maine Community College women's basketball team worked tirelessly to get the lead. For most of the second half, the Mustangs had to work just as hard to preserve the lead against their rivals from Southern Maine Community College. CMCC held off the Seawolves for a 66-62 win. The Mustangs were down by as many as 12 points in the first half and then had to play stellar down the stretch to pull out the victory. "We haven't had a really tough game like that," guard Gabby Foy said. "It really shows the character and the heart that we have." Foy led the Mustangs (9-3, 6-0) with 24 points, 17 of which came in the second half. Malia Hamel added nine while Corrie Kinder and Kat Styles each had eight...

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... cc/1630282
Note: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:51 am

CM coasts by VTC for YSCC Win

The Lady Mustangs utilized their depth, placing 5 players in double figure scoring as they coasted to an easy win over the Knights of VTC. The game was back and forth for the first 10-minutes before the full court pressure of the Mustangs took its toll on the Knight. CM went into the half up 44-24.

Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) led the team with 18 points, 8 steals, and 6 assists. Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) tallied 15 points and a team high 9 boards. Freshman, Ella Montminy (Center Barnstead, NH), scored 10 points, ripped 7 rebounds, and dished out 5 assists.

Macy Welch (North Anson, ME) and Kat Styles (Franklin, NH) came off the bench to record 13 and 12 points respectively.

VTC was paced by Kaitlin Lyford with 24 points (6 3FG).

The Lady Mustangs forced 44 turnovers and shot just over 40% from the floor for the game. CM will be back in action on Thursday when they host rival NHTI.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 am

Lady Mustangs back on track in a big way

Twenty four hours after having their 8-game win streak snapped, the Lady Mustangs were able to flip the switch and get back on track with a dominating performance over the Knights of VTC. CM led start to finish, jumping out to a 44-16 lead at the half, and cruising to a 91-49 non-conference win.

Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) led all scorers with a dominating performance of 28 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 steals while shooting 57% from the floor. Briana Grant (Searsport, ME) poured in a career high 18 points on 7-8 shooting, and Corrie Kinder (North Haverhill, NH) turned in another solid outing with 8 points, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, and 5 assists.

The Lady Mustangs out-rebounded the Knights 47-33 while forcing 35 turnovers, 18 of which came by the way of steals. CM also dished out 22 assists, while only turning the ball over 11 times.

With the win CM improves to 11-3 overall and remains 7-0 in the YSCC. They Lady Mustangs will be back in action, Saturday, January 24th when they host the College of St. Joseph (VT) in a 1:00pm tilt. The game will feature the top 2 teams in the Yankee Conference, with both teams being ranked in the top 5 of the USCAA National Coaches Poll.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 am

CMCC 86 – UMPI 71

Eleven different Lady Mustangs found the scoring column, as CM pulled away from the Owls of UMaine-Presque Isle for the 86-71 win. Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) led three double-figure scorers for CM with 27 points, while Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) tallied 18 points and 12 rebounds.

Lexi Larson (Milo, ME) chipped in with 12 points and dished out a team-high 6 assists. Ella Montminy (Center Barnstead, NH) and Briana Grant (Searsport, ME) played well off the bench scoring 7 and 9 points respectively. In all, the Lady Mustang bench outscored the Owls bench, 23-6.

Darby Toth led UMPI with 30 points.

With the win the Lady Mustangs improve to 12-4, and will be back in action Wednesday when they host Eastern Maine Community College in a Yankee Conference matchup.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:18 am

Foy named USCAA, YSCC Player of the Week

Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) has been named the USCAA Division II National Player of the Week as well as the Yankee Small College Conference Player of the Week for her performance last week, helping the Lady Mustangs to 3 consecutive wins.

During the week, Foy averaged 24 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game, while shooting 57% overall, and 55% (11-20) from the three point line. Most impressively, she did this averaging only 23 minutes per game.

This is the second time this season Foy has been honored with the conference player of the week honors. So far this season, she is averaging 18.6 points per game in just 24 minutes per game.

In these three games, CM defeated UMaine-Presque Isle (86-71), UMaine-Augusta (88-70), and UMaine-Machias (99-46). The Lady Mustangs are now 14-4 overall and 9-1 in the Yankee Conference.

For the full list of winners this week, you can visit the USCAA website at: http://theuscaa.com/players-of-the-week/2-3-15
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:35 am

CMCC 87 - EMCC 47

Lady Mustangs soar past Golden Eagles

Eleven different players found the scoring column, with two recording double-doubles in CM's 88-47 rout of Eastern Maine Community College.​

Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) paced CM with 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals on 7-8 shooting, while Kat Styles (Franklin, NH) came off the bench to post 14 points and 10 rebounds on 6-10 shooting. Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) was once again in double figures, hitting for 14 points.

Freshman spark plug, Ella Montminy (Center Barnstead, NH), tallied 15 points, including three 3's, on 5-7 shooting. Styles and Montminy led the Mustang bench, that outscored the EMCC bench by a 45-6 margin. Corrie Kinder (North Haverhill, NH) played a stellar floor game, finishing with 8 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

Morgan Card led EMCC with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The Lady Mustangs improve to 15-4 overall and 10-1 in the YSCC and are back in action tomorrow night when they travel to Unity College.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:28 am

SMCC 81, CMCC 67:
Tiana Burton’s 21 points off the bench led the SeaWolves (17-7, 11-3 YSCC) over the Mustangs (17-5, 11-2) in South Portland. Burton powered the SeaWolves to a 42-28 halftime lead with 14 points during a 28-11 first-half run.

WMTW highlights
about 4:00 mark ...http://www.wmtw.com/sports/hoops8/hoops ... s/31227564
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Lady Mustangs fall in semifinals

Despite staging an almost-epic second half comeback, CM fell short in the Yankee Conference Tournament semifinals to Southern Maine CC, 62-58. Trailing 39-23 at the half, and being down by as much as 18 early in the 2nd half, the Lady Mustang mounted a respectable comeback, cutting the lead to just 2 points, with a little less than 2-minutes to go in the game.

Shooting just 28% from the floor for the game, the Lady Mustangs fought hard until the end, but could not overcome their shooting woes.

Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) led the CM charge with 16 points, 12 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) also tallied 16 points, to go along with 7 rebounds.

Alicia Hoyt and Amira Jones led SMCC with 15 points apiece.

With the loss, the Lady Mustangs conclude their season with a 23-6 mark overall.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri May 08, 2015 9:50 am

Two Lady Mustangs sign scholarships

May 07, 2015
Auburn, ME - Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) and Laura Soohey (Bremen, ME) will be taking their talents to the state of Michigan, having signed their National Letters of Intent to attend and play basketball at Rochester College. Rochester is a dual affiliate of the NAIA and USCAA, and is located in Rochester Hills, MI.

Foy had a great career at CM, scoring 1,046 points, ranking her 6th on the program's all-time scoring list. She was also only the 4th Lady Mustang to reach the 1,000-point plateau in less than two seasons. In 64 career games, Foy averaged 16.4 points per game, helping lead her team to an overall record of 55-9 during that time. In her freshman campaign, Foy was named a Yankee Conference All-Star and a USCAA DII 2nd Team All-American. She followed that up by being named a Yankee Conference 1st Team All-Star, and a USCAA DII 1st Team All-American this past season.

Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong, on Foy, "Gabby came to CM with the goal of earning a scholarship to play at the next level, and she certainly did everything in her power to make that happen. She has spent countless hours in the weight room to further her game, and made major contributions on the court that not only helped her team win, but were deservedly recognized at the national level as well. She handled the pressure of not only the team being expected to win every night, but the pressure of having to individually perform at a high level on a nightly basis, more than admirably."

According to Foy, "Being here at Central Maine Community College over the past two years has not only taught me how to be a better basketball player, but also a better person. It has taught me to go after my dreams, work your hardest for what you want, and to never be satisfied. It was a privilege to be able to play basketball at CM, and I will never forget the success and memories that were made. I just want to thank CMCC for making me and my future a priority."

She continued, "I committed to Rochester College for many different reasons. I was really attracted to the small college feel, and the family atmosphere that was given off by the staff and basketball players. After I got the tour of the campus I knew it was where I wanted to spend my next two years. When we met our future teammates they were very welcoming, and you could feel that they were excited we were there. Coach Sims made sure that I had a great experience, and showed me that RC is where I should be."

Soohey had one of the more transformative careers in the history of the program. Coming in 2nd semester during the 2012-13 season, Soohey played in only 11 games, made 0 starts, and averaged only 4.7 minutes per game. After hitting the weight room and getting in great shape in the off-season, she averaged 10.6 points and 10 rebounds over her final 2 years. Soohey was named a USCAA DII Honorable Mention All-American during the 2013-14 season, and followed that up with being named Yankee Conference 1st Team All-Conference and a USCAA DII 1st Team All-American this past season. She also set the program-record for rebounds in a single game when she grabbed 21 on 1/26/14 vs. Dean College.

Coach Morong on Soohey, "Laura's growth, on and off the court, over the last two and a half years has been such a rewarding process for her, and for our entire program. A lot of athletes blame their lack of playing time on the coach, or get discouraged to the point of quitting when they aren't getting what they want - Laura did not do any of that. Instead, she hit the weight room, worked on her game, and turned herself into an All-American. She is a prime example of what a student-athlete can do when they make a commitment, work hard, and stick with it through adversity."

According to Soohey, "CMCC is not only a place where I have gotten to further my education and become a better basketball player, but a place where I have gained a family. My CM family has become a large part of my life. That is what attracted me most to Rochester. Coach Sims at RC definitely made me feel right at home when we went and visited. The team and staff were more than welcoming. I am very grateful for all of the opportunities CM has given me both academically and athletically, and I will certainly miss everyone who has been involved in my experiences here. I feel very prepared and excited to continue my journey at Rochester College."

Rochester Women's Basketball Coach, Eric Sims, "The Rochester College Women's Basketball Program is very excited to be adding Laura Soohey and Gabby Foy to our school and basketball program for the 2015-16 season. They are both coming off of fantastic careers at Central Maine Community College. Coach Morong and the Mustang women's program at Central Maine has had a lot of success over the years and I look forward to the impact both Laura and Gabby will have here at Rochester College. Gabby is a dynamic offensive player who can score in a variety of ways. She will step right into a major role in our backcourt. Laura can score inside and out as well as rebound and she loves to play defense. She will anchor our post game. Both Laura and Gabby have high basketball intelligence and are very competitive. Both CMCC and RC being members of the USCAA and having this type of relationship between the schools brings a great dynamic. I can't wait to get them on campus and start working with them."
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)