CMCC basketball - women

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

CMCC basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

April 7, 2014

Canadian Point Guard, Malia Hamel, Commits to CMCC

While the women's basketball program has seen is it's fair share of success recruiting at the national level, their most recent commitment comes from north of the border.  Malia Hamel of Edmonton, Alberta has committed to the Lady Mustangs for the 2014-15 season.

Hamel is a senior at Archbishop Oscar Romero High School, where she played for her father, Paschal Hamel.  This past season, she averaged 15 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals per game.  Hamel, led her team to the 2nd round of the provincial playoffs, and her season was highlighted by a 30-point (six 3's), 8-rebound, 6-assist performance vs. the Bow Valley Bobcats.

"Malia is an explosive point guard with a ton of upside.  Not only is she a scoring threat from just about anywhere, but she is a phenomenal distributor of the ball.  You can tell she has the ability to make everyone around her better.  Malia is going to help make this program a lot of fun to watch next season." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

There were several factors that impacted Malia's decision to attend CMCC, "When I came for my visit my decision became even clearer because of how welcoming everyone was.  I felt that CMCC is very family-oriented which I believe is very important when building a strong foundation for a team and for a school community." said Hamel.

"I liked how everything was in walking distance. I enjoyed the small campus where everything is easy to find. Living on campus and experiencing the campus life is also very important to me.  I liked all the opportunities that are offered to the students for them to be successful."

On playing at the next level, "I believe it will be a great challenge but one I am willing to take and work for.  I think I can bring many important things to the team like, my hustle on the court, my intensity and aggressiveness, and my willingness to be a hard worker - which will help influence my teammates to do the same."

The Lady Mustangs have won three straight Yankee Conference Tournament Championships and two straight regular season championships.  They were also the USCAA DII National Tournament Runner-Up this past season.  The 2014-15 campaign kicks off during the last weekend in October, as CMCC hosts the annual Can-Am
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: CMCC basketball - women

Postby AMO12 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Malia is the real deal and we are very lucky to be getting her. She will be a LOT of fun to watch as she possesses the 'wow' factor.

Andrew Morong
CMCC Women's Basketball
AMO12

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 am

Anna Carrier of Forest Hills Commits to Lady Mustangs

Forest Hills standout, Anna Carrier, has committed to play women's basketball for the Lady Mustangs next season. Carrier was a pivotal member of her Forest Hills team this year as they won the Class D Western Maine Championship before falling in the Class D State Championship game to Washburn.

Carrier had a phenomenal career at Forest Hills; she was a starter on the team as an 8th grader, and started 93 of her 94 career games. She finished her career ranked 7th on the all-time school scoring list and ranked 1st in most career starts. This past season, which was hallmarked with the school's first and only undefeated regular season, Carrier averaged 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 steals per game.

Although her athletic achievements are aplenty, Carrier has been extremely involved in other areas at her school. She has served as Student Council President, Class President, earned high honors, and has also worked with the yearbook.

"We are beyond excited that Anna will be a member of the CM family moving forward. She was on campus several times this season and we could tell it was going to be a great fit. Anna is a scrappy player and is not afraid to get after it. She has a relentless mindset about her when she is on the court, and that's the sort of blue-collar attitude we look for. She is going to be a tremendous addition, not only to our basketball program, but to our entire college community as well." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

"I chose CMCC because I liked the small school feel and that's what I have been used to my whole life. I also like knowing that the teachers are going to know who I am and that I won't be just a number." said Anna Carrier.

Carrier continued, "The games are going to be a lot faster, and the season a lot longer, but the biggest difference for me will be that I won't be playing with the same group of girls that I grew up playing with. It's going to be a big challenge, but playing on a new team with new challenges will be very exciting. I think my positive attitude, strong work ethic, and my willingness to learn will help me make an impact next year."

The Lady Mustangs now have three official recruiting commitments for the 2014-15 season with three more being announced in the coming weeks as they look to reload in their quest for a 4th straight Yankee Conference Championship.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 am

Katarina Styles Commits to Lady Mustangs

The Lady Mustangs have had quite the success recruiting in New Hampshire over the last several years, a trend that will continue this off-season. Kat Styles (Franklin, NH) has committed to play women's basketball for the Lady Mustangs next season. Styles, a standout forward at Franklin High School was selected as All-State Honorable Mention by the NHBCO this past season.

Styles had a tremendous senior season at Franklin High School, leading the Lady Tornadoes to the state quaterfinals and scoring over 350 points this season. A 3-sport athlete, Styles was named a Laconia Citizen Triple Threat, a Lakes Region All-Star, and was a participant in the NHBCO Granite Games.

"Kat has great athleticism and length which will benefit her on both sides of the floor next year. She has a potent offensive repertoire and can score from the block, mid-range, and well beyond the 3-point line. As she develops throughout the course of next season, it will be a lot of fun to watch her potential become a reality." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

Styles on why she chose CMCC, "When I visited, the school was just my style and I truly felt like it was a family environment. The girls on the team are very hardworking, but they are also a lot of fun and they have a fantastic relationship with their coach. I am really looking forward to my new basketball family."

"I am so excited to be a part of this college and basketball program and I look forward to representing it the best that I can. Although I loved playing basketball in high school, I am ready to take on the challenge of taking my game to the next level." said Styles.

"We are elated that Kat will be joining us for next season. She is a great young woman with a ton of potential. She'll be an immediate high-impact player for us and should elevate our program to the next level as we look to reload in our quest for a Yankee Conference Championship." said Morong.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 am

New Hampshire Point Guard, Ella Montminy, Commits to Lady Mustangs

Ella Montminy of Prospect Mountain High School (Alton, NH) has committed to play women's basketball at CMCC next season. Montminy is an explosive point guard and was selected as All-State Honorable Mention by the NHBCO this past season. A 3-sport athlete at Prospect Mountain, Montminy was chosen as a Lakes Region All-Star (2011-2014), NHBCO 2nd Team All-State (2013), NH Dream Team (2013 & 2014), and participated in the NHBCO Granite Games.

Her senior year, Montminy tallied 15 points and dished out 9 assists per game for the Timberwolves.

Outside of sports, Ella contributed to her school and community by serving on the student council, and taking part in the NH Leadership Convention while also being President of not only the NH Military Youth Council, but the NH Youth Group as well. She also earned honor roll and National Honor Society honors, and was awarded the Scholar Athlete Award in 2012, 2013, & 2014.

"The family bond between the men's and women's basketball teams, the connection that they had with each other was great, how could you not want to be a part of that? I instantly felt at home and wanted nothing more than to be a part of it. I chose CMCC because I felt so welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed my visits. I could easily see myself being at CMCC and that's when I made my decision. During my overnight visit, I was able to watch a few games and sit on the bench with the team. All of the girls, every single one of them, wanted to be there and just win. I never got to experience team chemistry like that and it really reeled me in." said Montminy.

She continued, "I get to be a part of team that has the potential to do so many incredible things. Also, I get to be a part of the team that considers each other family. I've been looking for that my whole career. Hopefully I can be an important contributor to the team next year by putting 100% on the court at all the times. I also hope to bring my leadership skills, desire, and aggressiveness on both ends of the court."

"Ella is the real deal. She really gets after it on both ends of the floor. Her tenaciousness and ability to anticipate will make her a high impact player in our defensive system. Opposing guards will not like playing against her, and that's a huge compliment. Offensively, she can score from the perimeter or off of penetration, but her ability to distribute the ball and keep her teammates involved is what will make her dangerous. She has many leadership qualities and that's where she may make her biggest impact on this program. In the first five minutes of watching her play I thought to myself 'We need to get this girl'. This is a huge commitment for our program, and I couldn't be more excited that Ella and her family will be joining the CM family." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

Ella completes the quartet of New Hampshire student-athletes (Corrina Kinder, Hannah Champagne, & Kat Styles) who will be representing the Lady Mustangs next season. CM will kick off the 2014-15 campaign having won 3-straight YSCC Tournament Championships, 2-straight YSCC Regular Season Championships, and riding a 33-game conference win streak.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 am

McConkey to Attend Maine Maritime Academy

Women's Basketball captain, Maggie McConkey (Fryeburg, ME), will be graduating CMCC in a few weeks with an associate's degree in General Studies. In the fall, she will continue her basketball career and academic studies at Maine Maritime Academy in Castine as an International Business & Logistics major.

McConkey, who was a 2-year starter for the Lady Mustangs, was a captain on this year's team that went 28-3 overall, won the Yankee Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships, and lost in the USCAA DII National Championship Game. During her time at CM, McConkey helped lead the Mustangs to an overall record of 51-8 and a perfect 28-0 in the Yankee Conference. More impressively, the 4-sport athlete, was a USCAA DII Academic All-American this year as well.

"We are very excited that Maggie will be able to continue her basketball career while pursuing her bachelor's degree at such a great academic institution. Maggie has been our emotional leader for us since arriving here on campus, and has really grown on and off the court during her time here at CM. MMA is very lucky to be getting such a passionate, dedicated and hardworking young woman. She has a very bright future ahead of her, and although we will miss her, we couldn't be happier for her." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

On attending MMA, "Coach Dagan is a great coach and I am really excited about the opportunities ahead of me. Maine Maritime Academy has a tremendous reputation and has many extremely successful graduates. My time at CM has been awesome. My challenges in the classroom and on the court, have more than prepared me to be successful as I move forward – I am so thankful for my time here." Said McConkey.

McConkey added, "Coach Morong has always pushed us really hard, and never allowed us to slack off. A major theme this year was if you weren't pushing your teammate hard in practice, you weren't being a good teammate. I think this really helped us prepare for our tournament run. This is the mentality and work ethic I will utilize at MMA."

According to Craig Dagan, Head Women's Basketball Coach at MMA, "We are all very excited to have Maggie join the Lady Mariner basketball family. She is a talented and tough kid that will bring a lot of experience to the point guard position. There are many intangible qualities that she possesses but above all the kid is a winner. She led two talented teams at CMCC that won a ton of games and we look forward to having her become an integral part of the MMA community and in particular our women's basketball program."
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 am

Women's Basketball Picks Up Commitment from Macy Welch

Carrabec's Macy Welch has committed to play women's basketball at CM next season. Welch was a dominate force for the Lady Cobras during a memorable season, which saw Carrabec win the Class C Western Maine Championship for the first time in school history.

This past season, Welch was a Maine McDonalds Senior All-Star, a Mountain Valley Conference (MVC) 2nd Team All-Star, a MVC All-Academic Team member, and a WMTW Channel 8 All-Tournament Team selection. Welch's season was highlighted by a 19-point, 10-rebound double-double vs. defending state champion Wayneflete in the Western Maine Class C Quarterfinals.

Welch, on attending CM next year, "I chose CM because I felt like it was the perfect fit for me. It was the perfect size, and being able to play for this basketball program makes this an even better choice. I have been able to spend a lot of time around Coach Morong and the team, and have enjoyed every second of it."

"I think that my weight training and my coaches pushing me, both on and off the court, in high school has helped me become a stronger player. I am hoping I can bring a lot to the team next year, as I am more versatile then I was in the past. I am willing to play inside or out, wherever Coach Morong thinks is best." continued Welch.

"We indentified Macy as a potential recruit the summer before her junior year when we did a clinic for Coach Skip Rugh at Carrabec High School. We could tell she was going to be a special player back then, but what she did this year for the Lady Cobras was inspiring. Her presence in the paint and improved versatility helped anchor a special season for Carrabec. Macy has already committed to the weight room and improving her perimeter game and the results have been phenominal, which bodes well for her as she makes the jump to our level. As we work with her to further expand her versatility, she will blossom into a high impact player on both ends of the floor. Knowing that she comes from a high school program that has grown so much over the last several years and has seen hardwork truly payoff is also exciting. Her blue-collar work ethic is going to take her a long way, on and off the court, during her time here at CM." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

Carrabec Girls Varsity Basketball Coach, Skip Rugh, on Welch, "Macy is a coaches dream, she works hard every second. She is willing to do whatever is asked of her to help her team be successful. CMCC is very lucky to have such a committed student-athlete, and as a bonus, an oustanding role model as well."
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 19, 2014 8:23 am

Skowhegan Guard, Alanna Atkinson, Commits to Lady Mustangs

Alanna Atkinson, a standout guard from Skowhegan Area High School has committed to attend and play basketball at Central Maine Community College. Atkinson helped lead the Indians to an 11-7 record and an appearance in the Class A Eastern Maine Regional Quarterfinal while averaging 12 points per game.

"I chose CM because I could tell it was a great fit for me. I was able to take a tour of the campus, sit in on a class, and visit with the basketball team. It had the academic and athletic experience I was looking for. I liked how everything on campus was just a short walk away and how updated and advanced the technology on campus was." said Atkinson.

"I loved how close the basketball team is, and I am really excited for this new experience. Playing basketball at a faster pace and at such a high level is also something I am really looking forward to. I think my ability to shoot from outside and my tough defense will help me make an impact next year. I am really coachable, and am looking forward to learning and improving next year." she continued.

"Every year there is a student-athlete who surprises you while you are out recruiting, and this year Alanna was our surprise. The first time we saw her play we could tell that she could definitely play at our level - so we went back to watch her play a few more times. Every time we saw her play, we liked her game more and more. Not only can Alanna stretch the defense with her three point shooting ability, but she has played in a tradition-rich program and for a great coach, Bob Witts. She will fit in nicely with what we do here, on and off the court." said Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong.

"CM is getting a great kid that will work very hard to meet her and her team's goals. CM is a great fit for Alanna." said Skowhegan Girl's Varsity Basketball Coach, Bob Witts.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:09 am

French Earns Scholarship to Franklin Pierce (DII)

Susie French, one of the most decorated female-athletes to ever put on a CM uniform, has accepted a scholarship offer from Franklin Pierce University in Rindge, NH. Franklin Pierce is an NCAA DII school that plays in the nationally regarded Northeast-10 Conference.

French had a prolific career while at CM, scoring 1198 points in just two seasons, finishing 3rd on the all-time scoring list. She was 2-time USCAA First Team All-American, a 2-time Yankee Conference First Team All-Star, and was named the Yankee Conference Player of the Year in both of her seasons. She was also recognized as the Yankee Conference Tournament Best Defensive Player her freshman year, and followed that up with the tournament's MVP honors her sophomore year.

Most impressively, French was a 2-time USCAA Academic All-American and graduated CMCC with President Honors by finishing her academic career with a GPA of 3.926.

During her time at CM, the Lady Mustangs had an overall record of 51-8, including a perfect 28-0 record in the Yankee Conference. French helped lead CM to back-to-back Yankee Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships, and two USCAA DII National Tournament Appearances. This past season, French was a huge factor in the Lady Mustangs run to the USCAA DII National Championship Game.

French leaves CM as 3rd on the all-time scoring list, 1st in career scoring average (19.2), and having set the school record for steals in a single game (14).

CMCC's Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong, on French, "Susie has had a monumental impact on our program and school. She is a relentless competitor, whose sheer will and determination have taken her game and our program to the next level. Her leadership, on and off the court, this past year really propelled us at crucial times. It was an absolute joy watching Susie fall in love with the game of basketball again, and then blossom as a player and person over the last two years. We are very excited to follow her basketball career, but more excited to watch her become a leader in her chosen career path. She has such a bright future ahead of her – there's nothing she can't accomplish."

According to French, "I am very grateful for the time I spent at CM. Being a part of the team and the program was a very rewarding experience. I learned not only about the game of basketball but also about myself. Through my relationships with my teammates and coaches, I grew as a person both on and off the court. Being able to play with such a talented group of players has made the experience that much more rewarding and memorable. Coach Morong has more than prepared me to move forward with my basketball career. He was not only a great coach but a person I could look to for help or guidance outside of the sport. My teammates and I made many memories that will never be forgotten, and I am looking forward to continuing to follow the success of the program in the coming years. I am excited for the opportunities that lay ahead at Franklin Pierce. I look forward to be part of such a successful program and to join such a talented team."

She continued, "Words can't describe how grateful I am for the support of my friends and family over the past two years. Having them there for so many games was truly a blessing."

French is the second Lady Mustang to earn a scholarship in the NE-10 in the last two years. Maggie Sabine, who dominated the paint for CM during two seasons, now attends St. Michael's College on full scholarship. French and Sabine will square off twice this coming season (11/19 @ FPU, 2/4 @ SMC).

source: CMCC Athletics
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:51 am

CMCC 101 – Quinsigamond CC 37

Boxscore: http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/wbkb/2 ... 1_e0cs.xml

The Lady Mustangs used their depth and pressure defense to jump out and early lead and coast to an easy 101-37 win over Quinsigamond Community College. CM had four Mustangs in double figures, and had 12 of 13 players find the scoring column.

Once again, Gabby Foy (Wilton, ME) led the Lady Mustangs with 17 points, including three 3FG's. Malia Hamel (Edmonton, AB) scored 15 points off the bench, while Kat Styles (Franklin, NH) and Macy Welch (North Anson, ME) tallied 12 & 10 points respectively.

The Lady Mustangs' pressure defense forced 66 turnovers. Corrie Kinder (North Haverhill, NH) swiped a game-high 6 steals, while Ella Montminy (Center Barnstead, NH) and Lexi Larson (Milo, ME) had 5 takeaways each.

With the win CM improves to 2-1 overall and travels to Franklin, MA tomorrow to take on NJCAA powerhouse, Dean College, at 1:00pm.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)