Softball 2015: Colby College

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: Colby Softball:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:43 am

PENOYER NAMED INTERIM HEAD SOFTBALL COACH AT COLBY

WATERVILLE, Maine --- Robin Penoyer, with head coaching experience on the college and high school levels, was named Tuesday as the interim head coach of softball at Colby College.

Colby head coach Kristina Katori is on medical leave and cannot coach the upcoming 2015 season.

Penoyer has extensive experience on the field as a player and off the field as a head coach and assistant coach.

"I'm really excited to get back to what I really love doing," Penoyer said. "I'm really grateful for this new experience and Maine is such a wonderful part of the country."

Penoyer was the head softball coach and head women's soccer coach at Morrisville State College from 2002 to 2010. While at Morrisville, she formed and started the school's Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

After her time at Morrisville, Penoyer was named head softball coach at the Clinton (N.Y.) School District in 2011 and held the job until coming to Colby.

Penoyer started her collegiate coaching career as a pitching coach for Colgate University in 1995-96 and helped the Red Raiders win a Patriot League title. She went to Hamilton College for two years (1998 and 1999) and helped the Continentals go from 0-26 in 1997 to 13-17 just two years later.

Penoyer was a dominant pitcher for the University of Minnesota, earning All-Big Ten Second Team honors. She played on the Golden Gophers' 1991 Big Ten title team and had the team's lowest earned run average at 0.88. Penoyer helped Minnesota reach the NCAA tourney and she threw in the Golden Gophers' first NCAA regional win over Texas A&M.

Before she played for the Golden Gophers, Penoyer once held the high school national record with seven consecutive no-hit games thrown while at Stockbridge Valley High School. After her time at Minnesota, Penoyer pitched in the Professional Fastpitch Extreme Tour, with the Women's Major Fastpitch League, and Women's Fastpitch Nationals. During this time, Penoyer also was head coach for softball at Stockbridge Valley from 1993 to 2002.

The Mules went 7-19 a year ago, but do have their top five hitters returning and their leading pitcher.

"I met with the team during my interview and really liked them," Penoyer said. "They seem eager and really want to learn. I think we are going to have fun."

-30-
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)