MPA hires Jeff Benson as Commissioner of Officials

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Postby MattyB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Referee Maine on Facebook:

An Open letter to Sports Administrators, Coaches and Parents

After officiating thousands of youth, high school and college soccer, hockey and lacrosse games for over two decades, I am writing with a warning of impending failure and collapse of our current interscholastic sports model.

We are at a tipping point, as our senior officials are rapidly aging out in many of these popular sports. Our current efforts to recruit new officials have failed to keep up with the number of retiring senior officials for a number of reasons.

Here are the facts:

1. Senior officials are rapidly aging out.
2. Recruitment and retention of new officials is not at pace with retiring officials.
3. Fewer officials means fewer games.
4. No officials mean no games.

Here is the cause and effect:

1. Poor sportsmanship and inappropriate behavior by coaches, parents and players.
2. Marginal compensation.
3. Lack of organizational leadership and accountability at the clubs and high schools.

As the lead for recruiting new officials in hockey, soccer and lacrosse for the past several years, I have met with, talked to and reached out to hundreds of potential candidates. The number one response I get is “Are you crazy? You guys get treated like sh..t!” There it is. Perception becomes reality and often the truth.

Read the rest: https://www.facebook.com/refereemaine/p ... __tn__=H-R
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Re: Referee Maine: 'We are at a tipping point'

Postby uptheriver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am

Sad, but true. And we won't react enough until it is too late.
uptheriver

Re: MPA hires Jeff Benson as Commissioner of Officials

Postby MattyB » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am

AUGUSTA – A changing of the guard is official at the Maine Principal’s Association as Jeff Benson has been named Commissioner of Officials.

The position replaces recently retired, Peter Webb’s, Commissioner of Basketball officials title.

“With the retirement of longtime basketball commissioner, Peter Webb, this transition was recommended to allow expanding the scope of the position and to work with all sport’s officials’ groups and to help bring consistency in officiating in all sports,” MPA Executive Director, Mike Burnham, said.

https://www.foxbangor.com/bangor-local- ... officials/

The Maine Principals’ Association has created a new position called the Commissioner of Officials to oversee and advise game officials and, just as importantly, encourage more people to join the officiating ranks.

Retired athletic director and veteran game official Jeff Benson, 62, of Auburn, said his primary focus as the first MPA Commissioner of Officials will be to work with the state’s many officiating boards to increase membership.

“Retention and the recruiting of officials is my key responsibility. It’s a huge issue,” Benson said of the part-time position. “Obviously I’m going to have to meet with every one of those groups and see where their needs are and try to come up with strategies to get people more involved.”

Maine has seen a significant decline in game officials in several sports, compounded by many current officials being past retirement age. According to a national survey, 70 percent of new referees and umpires quit by the end of their third year, driven away by a combination of abusive fans, relatively low pay and the inability to get varsity game assignments.

“Instead of individual efforts by one board in one region, it can create some statewide initiatives,” said Mike Bisson, an MPA assistant executive director.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/07/24/b ... officials/
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Re: MPA hires Jeff Benson as Commissioner of Officials

Postby MattyB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 pm

I caught up with the MPA's new commissioner of officials, Jeff Benson, earlier today. We talked about his new position, official shortages and dunking: https://t.co/OmNDUcgbTo
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur