Referee Maine: 'We are at a tipping point'

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Referee Maine: 'We are at a tipping point'

Postby MattyB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Referee Maine on Facebook:

An Open letter to Sports Administrators, Coaches and Parents

After officiating thousands of youth, high school and college soccer, hockey and lacrosse games for over two decades, I am writing with a warning of impending failure and collapse of our current interscholastic sports model.

We are at a tipping point, as our senior officials are rapidly aging out in many of these popular sports. Our current efforts to recruit new officials have failed to keep up with the number of retiring senior officials for a number of reasons.

Here are the facts:

1. Senior officials are rapidly aging out.
2. Recruitment and retention of new officials is not at pace with retiring officials.
3. Fewer officials means fewer games.
4. No officials mean no games.

Here is the cause and effect:

1. Poor sportsmanship and inappropriate behavior by coaches, parents and players.
2. Marginal compensation.
3. Lack of organizational leadership and accountability at the clubs and high schools.

As the lead for recruiting new officials in hockey, soccer and lacrosse for the past several years, I have met with, talked to and reached out to hundreds of potential candidates. The number one response I get is “Are you crazy? You guys get treated like sh..t!” There it is. Perception becomes reality and often the truth.

Read the rest: https://www.facebook.com/refereemaine/p ... __tn__=H-R
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Re: Referee Maine: 'We are at a tipping point'

Postby uptheriver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am

Sad, but true. And we won't react enough until it is too late.
uptheriver

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur