Dalton Rice gets a shot with the Angels Organization

post info & talk all things baseball...

Dalton Rice gets a shot with the Angels Organization

Postby MattyB » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Oxford Hills, USM product Dalton Rice to sign with Angels

Dealt with numerous physical setbacks during his college career, Dalton Rice is proving that adversity can open the door to opportunity.

The former Oxford Hills Comprehensive High School and University of Southern Maine star from Waterford will board a plane for Utah on Monday and, after the routine physical, will sign a contract with the Anaheim Angels as an undrafted free agent.

A 6-foot-4, 210-pound right-hander, Rice received the official invitation from the Angels on Friday.

“It’s a blessing,” Rice said. “I just feel really blessed and honored because there are a lot of really good players out there and I played with a lot of good players. To be given this opportunity to keep playing, it’s unbelievable. I’ve been dreaming about this since I was a little kid.”

Rice is headed for Orem, Utah, which is the home of the Orem Owlz, the Angels’ short-season Rookie League affiliate in the Pioneer League. He has not been assigned to the Owlz and the Angels have not said what their plans are for him but that will likely be his destination after he signs.

“I don’t really know much of the details about where I’m playing or when it all starts until after I get out there,” Rice said. “I have a physical that I have to take and then after my physical I’ll sign the contract and then I’ll have a better idea of where I’m going.”

The Angels were the most interested among several teams that have scouted and talked to Rice while he was at USM.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/06/09/o ... th-angels/
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Re: Dalton Rice gets a shot with the Angels Organization

Postby thebam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am

So, this makes 3. Three kids who played HS baseball in Maine signed professional contracts this year. It is astounding that with these obvious opportunities that programs like American Legion baseball continues to see massive decline in numbers. How can kids not look at this situation and realize their best opportunity to play professionally doesn't go thru aau hoops, but through baseball.
thebam

Postby augie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:10 pm

thebam wrote:So, this makes 3. Three kids who played HS baseball in Maine signed professional contracts this year. It is astounding that with these obvious opportunities that programs like American Legion baseball continues to see massive decline in numbers. How can kids not look at this situation and realize their best opportunity to play professionally doesn't go thru aau hoops, but through baseball.

you are seeing massive drops in Legion but there are TONS of kids playing AAU Baseball from U10-U14 and then they move onto the select AAU once they hit 15. kids are seeing much better competition in the AAU league sense the league is based out of MA so kids are playing ME, NH and MA teams in a division that is suitable to the overall teams skill level.

But I agree, I do wish more kids did play legion once they hit 15-16 but I do know the 10-14 year olds are getting a ton of baseball in.
augie

Postby thebam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm

augie wrote:
thebam wrote:So, this makes 3. Three kids who played HS baseball in Maine signed professional contracts this year. It is astounding that with these obvious opportunities that programs like American Legion baseball continues to see massive decline in numbers. How can kids not look at this situation and realize their best opportunity to play professionally doesn't go thru aau hoops, but through baseball.

you are seeing massive drops in Legion but there are TONS of kids playing AAU Baseball from U10-U14 and then they move onto the select AAU once they hit 15. kids are seeing much better competition in the AAU league sense the league is based out of MA so kids are playing ME, NH and MA teams in a division that is suitable to the overall teams skill level.

But I agree, I do wish more kids did play legion once they hit 15-16 but I do know the 10-14 year olds are getting a ton of baseball in.

Thanks for this update. I had no idea that was a thing. I know legion is big in the other new England states. I wasn't aware of the aau baseball programs. Definitely a good thing for sure!
thebam

Postby millersbaseball » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 am

The AAU trend is going to continue to grow, as they participate in events such as the Perfect Game tournament which is directly in front of multiple D1 coaches and MLB scouts. It's such a different animal in baseball because often times they'll take the projectability of a mid to high 80's fastball over a refined player sitting with a lower velocity.

Legion baseball is important, but if the player has higher aspirations, I'd argue that these AAU tournaments are far more valuable in the long term.
millersbaseball

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur